04-22-2012, 09:17 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
For years, I used Mitchum Power Gel antiperspirant until I seemingly developed an allergy to it. Someone suggested that I try the natural alum deodorants and I have not looked back since. I was a little reluctant at first as I had always used an antiperspirant and associated deodorants as some kind of a cover-up. Fortunately, the alum deodorants are not deodorants in the way I used to think of deodorants. Rather than cover up an odor, they prevent the odor from happening in the first place.

There are a lot of alum deodorants out there but I prefer the Osma alum deodorants and the Razorock Aloe Vera Alum Deodorant.

What is your deodorant of choice?

45 16,285
 04-22-2012, 09:29 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Sounds interesting ..I,ll try that..has to be better than using duct tape and a half lemon under each arm covered with a diaper to absorb the sweat...quite uncomfortable and sticky.

6 1,913
 04-22-2012, 09:30 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I use a deodorant cream made and sold by Shaklee. Everything else I've tried either burns, causes a rash, and breaks me out.

It is just the "pits".

173 23,490
 04-22-2012, 09:35 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(04-22-2012, 09:29 AM)Harvey Wrote: Sounds interesting ..I,ll try that..has to be better than using duct tape and a half lemon under each arm covered with a diaper to absrb the sweat...quite uncomfortable and sticky.

At the very least, you will be able to wear a shirt one size smaller. Biggrin

45 16,285
 04-22-2012, 09:37 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(04-22-2012, 09:30 AM)Johnny Wrote: I use a deodorant cream made and sold by Shaklee. Everything else I've tried either burns, causes a rash, and breaks me out.

It is just the "pits".

That's a new one to me.

45 16,285
 04-22-2012, 09:42 AM
User Info
I found out years a go I was allergic to aluminum, so I've been using natural deodorants. I finally found a great one in Arm & Hammers Essentials(paraben and aluminum free). I'm sure it will be discontinued or something, so I stocked up!!

9 333
 04-22-2012, 12:57 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Phil, unlike you, I never cared for antiperspirants because they didn't allow the skin to breathe so I used deodorants. Like you, though, I developed an allergic reaction to them so I went to the mineral salts/alum deodorant many many years ago and have not had a problem since. I use the Crystal brand in the twist-up container. It is reasonably priced, readily available locally, and a stick of it will last me longer than a year.

[Image: CrystalDeodorant.jpg] [Image: CrystalDeodorantIngredients.jpg]

2 11,211
 04-22-2012, 01:04 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
I use Old Spice red zone.

I have been using it for awhile now. I have just started using alum for post shave. I never thought about using an alum as a deodorant. Might have to look into that.

1 3,507
 04-22-2012, 02:55 PM
  • DanOK
  • Mustang, OK
User Info
I developed an allergy to deodorants about 6 years ago and started using my alum block and have been fine. Wet it with a little cold water and use it like a deodorant stick. Works great and lasts for ever.

0 56
 04-22-2012, 04:43 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(04-22-2012, 12:57 PM)freddy Wrote: Phil, unlike you, I never cared for antiperspirants because they didn't allow the skin to breathe so I used deodorants. Like you, though, I developed an allergic reaction to them so I went to the mineral salts/alum deodorant many many years ago and have not had a problem since. I use the Crystal brand in the twist-up container. It is reasonably priced, readily available locally, and a stick of it will last me longer than a year.

I will keep my eye out for the Crystal brand. Where do you usually find it?

45 16,285
 04-22-2012, 05:11 PM
  • freddy
User Info
(04-22-2012, 04:43 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(04-22-2012, 12:57 PM)freddy Wrote: Phil, unlike you, I never cared for antiperspirants because they didn't allow the skin to breathe so I used deodorants. Like you, though, I developed an allergic reaction to them so I went to the mineral salts/alum deodorant many many years ago and have not had a problem since. I use the Crystal brand in the twist-up container. It is reasonably priced, readily available locally, and a stick of it will last me longer than a year.

I will keep my eye out for the Crystal brand. Where do you usually find it?

Look for it in drug stores like CVS and Walgreens.

2 11,211
 04-22-2012, 05:19 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
Will do Freddy. It has probably been right under my nose all along. Blush

45 16,285
 04-22-2012, 06:19 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(04-22-2012, 12:57 PM)freddy Wrote: I use the Crystal brand in the twist-up container. It is reasonably priced, readily available locally, and a stick of it will last me longer than a year.

Hi Freddy

I started using that exact same one about a month ago, so far so good Thumbup

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 04-22-2012, 06:59 PM
User Info
I've been using alum deodorants for years, recently the Thai Crystal brand.

30 275
 04-22-2012, 07:05 PM
  • freddy
User Info
(04-22-2012, 05:19 PM)bullgoose Wrote: Will do Freddy. It has probably been right under my nose all along. Blush

Not necessarily, Phil. Remember product placement in grocery stores? The same goes for drug stores and very often this deodorant will be found on the very bottom shelf.

(04-22-2012, 06:19 PM)mikeperry Wrote:
(04-22-2012, 12:57 PM)freddy Wrote: I use the Crystal brand in the twist-up container. It is reasonably priced, readily available locally, and a stick of it will last me longer than a year.

Hi Freddy

I started using that exact same one about a month ago, so far so good Thumbup

Take care, Mike

Hi Mike,

I think it is really good stuff and it never stains my clothes. As I mentioned above, I had to change deodorants and when I found this I just never looked back. It has been many years that I have been using it and all without incident. Thumbsup

All the best,

Freddy

2 11,211
 04-22-2012, 07:45 PM
User Info
i used to use the Alum block/rock deodorants, but i started to use this cream ten years ago, and have had great results. One application usually last 3-4 days!
Here it is:
http://www.nowfoods.com/Personal-Care/Pr...003285.htm

i have had great result with no side effects whatsoever and i am usually very sensitive since changing my diet 18 years ago.

75 20,883
 04-22-2012, 08:26 PM
User Info
I don't use antiperspirants of any kind,including alum, just deodorants. Old spice at the moment. I don't want to stop the sweat with aluminum compounds or salts.

On hot humid days I just take a w****'s bath during the day or after work. Damp washcloth with a dash of alcohol and florida water, then reapply deodorant

2 697
 04-23-2012, 11:41 AM
User Info
i have been using the same crystal stick deodorant on and off for over 10 years IIRC.

I am now using arm&hammer (w/ baking soda) unscented... nice light citrus scent though... seems to work great..

1 48
 04-23-2012, 02:41 PM
User Info
I wish I could use those natural rock/crystal deodorants. I tried them, and I was quite embarrassed by the BO. I read that it might take time for your body chemistry to adjust. I washed my pits with baking soda, vinegar, I gave it a few weeks, but my pits just stank. The only natural deodorant that has come close to working for me is Alvera, but now I'm just using Old Spice classic deodorant. I have given up this battle.

4 112
 04-23-2012, 02:49 PM
User Info
Currently I am using Acqua di Gio stick deodorant, primarily because SWMBO likes the scent. It is very mild and lightly scented.

183 12,002