11-01-2013, 02:50 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I picked up a almost mint on E-bay for $15.00 and it can in fact use the GEM S.E. blades without any modification....I have heard it to be smoother than the Streamline...so this was an afordable option(no case or blades) but I don,t need any of those so tomorrow I shall test it out and compare it to my 1901,1912,Shovel Head and report back...hopefully not from the E.R...talk about OC...this looks amazing...(don,t know how to post picture but you can look it up on Google)...wish me well!!!!

6 1,970
 11-02-2013, 09:26 AM
User Info
Harvey,
Congratulations on the find and good luck with the razor! Smile

82 21,002
 11-02-2013, 01:42 PM
  • ischiapp
  • Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
Rapide or Wotan by Henckels Zwillingswerk is a nice shave gear!
I love it, specially with his wedge blades. Biggrin
[Image: 8T3rpgv.jpg]
[Image: XmNgLYm.jpg]

0 1,119
 11-02-2013, 02:34 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Mine doesn,t look like that...basically open comb and has a wire bar which holds the blade in position...the blades slip under some levers and it is amazing...going to shave with it later today.

6 1,970
 11-03-2013, 10:40 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
At any rate finally shaved with it and it is very nice....for me as a collector this razor just screams build quality...built like a PILS...fantastic loading mechanism and possibly the most unique look of any of my razors...best $15.00 I have ever spent...sorry don,t know how to post pictures but just look on Google and a couple of links on Badger and Blade come up.Smile

6 1,970
 11-03-2013, 01:09 PM
User Info
Harvey, congratulations and do you have any pics of yours? Smile

82 21,002
 11-03-2013, 01:43 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Sorry...don,t do that...just Google it and voila...pictures appear

6 1,970
 11-04-2013, 03:39 PM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
I have used both the Wotan and the Rapide. They do shave well. Blade angle is really necessary for shave quality. Be sure the SE blade is in and secure! If the blade slips there can be consequences.
~Richard

8 1,192
 04-02-2017, 08:16 AM
User Info
I have multiple Henckels Rapide razors and a very similar Ostaso.  A lot of companies cloned the original Scharff Rapide once the German patent ended.  The razors were designed for wedge type sharpenable blades but most work great with Gem blades.  The early Scharff razor did not have blade stops so presents difficulties in using Gem blades.  If buying it is the version that uses a small set screw on each side of the blade front surface to  adjust blade height, working against the tapered surface of the wedge type blade.

Excellent shavers with the Gem blades and reportedly also with the original wedge blades per reports.  Unless you luck out due to a bad listing the usual price is in the $60 to $70 range for a clean sample though my last one, cased and with a Henckels factory included Allegro blade sharpener for the wedge blades and in almost mint condition, cost considerably more.

0 4