11-02-2013, 11:56 AM
User Info
So if you owned the following three brushes:

Chubby 3 Manchurian
Chubby 3 2-band (custom order -extra thick - denoted by the term SiLVERTiP)
M&F 2XL Finest

[Image: 20130311_145832_0_zps8c7a4dcb.jpg]

And then realized that you only need two.

Which two, and why, would you keep?

Then, what if you realized that one is suffice. Which one & why, would you keep?

I'd like to hear thoughts from you gents who have garnered far more experience & understanding than I have.

0 193
 11-02-2013, 01:21 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
Well, I only have the experience of owning one "Lather Chugger" myself, and that's the Chubby3 2-Band you have in the middle...I love it, simply put. I suppose that would still be my choice if the three brushes were in front of me and I had to choose one...It satisfies everything I wanted in a brush of this style...I suppose it comes down to your preference in Manchurian vs. Two Band with the Chubbies...The M&F is a whole different animal in my book, one which I have yet to read about. I'm interested in your experiences with the three "Big Boi's"...how do they stack up against each other?

4 792
 11-02-2013, 01:38 PM
  • vpayne
  • Missouri
User Info
What you do is sell me the M&F finest. Problem solved.
Ha, Ha, Ha-----

32 362
 11-02-2013, 10:25 PM
User Info
(11-02-2013, 01:21 PM)LORDBISHOP Wrote: Well, I only have the experience of owning one "Lather Chugger" myself, and that's the Chubby3 2-Band you have in the middle...I love it, simply put. I suppose that would still be my choice if the three brushes were in front of me and I had to choose one...It satisfies everything I wanted in a brush of this style...I suppose it comes down to your preference in Manchurian vs. Two Band with the Chubbies...The M&F is a whole different animal in my book, one which I have yet to read about. I'm interested in your experiences with the three "Big Boi's"...how do they stack up against each other?

Thanks for your reply.
Like I said I haven't used them very often nor do I have knowledge like you gents.

But here are my thoughts:

All three make stupendous lather.

The Manchurian requires a lot of soap but that's a given due to how thick it is. It's a different pleasure lathering with so much hair.

The 2 band chubby has the gel like tips everyone refers to. I specifically asked & paid for extra hair when I commissioned this brush.

The m&f is the softest. Feels like hovering a cloud over your face.

(11-02-2013, 01:38 PM)vpayne Wrote: What you do is sell me the M&F finest. Problem solved.
Ha, Ha, Ha-----

Haha maybe

0 193
 11-03-2013, 01:04 AM
User Info
I'm not a fan of the gel tips, I quite enjoy the sensation of hair on my face so for me it would be the Chubby 3 2 band that would go.

The M&F wouldn't even be considered, it would 110% stay!

It's only 3 brushes though so why not just hold onto them all?

7 1,179
 11-03-2013, 01:41 PM
  • u2u
  • GTA
User Info
As a Chubby 3 two band, and Chubby 2 manchurian user, I could never part with either. Indeed, I would like to add a 3, in manchurian, as you have. They love a diet of MdC, brain bowl, or glass jar. The M&F is on the small size. For the size of the M&F knot my handle preference would go towards something more suited to bowl lathering, thus the M&F would be first to go. If it went, it would be a desperation move as it appears to be a superb brush. If I were to cut to one, the Simpson two band would survive. Decadent luxury.... If you can have only one.

0 536
 11-04-2013, 02:05 AM
User Info
(11-03-2013, 01:04 AM)Dipesh Wrote: I'm not a fan of the gel tips, I quite enjoy the sensation of hair on my face so for me it would be the Chubby 3 2 band that would go.

The M&F wouldn't even be considered, it would 110% stay!

It's only 3 brushes though so why not just hold onto them all?

No other reason than being pragmatic really. I don't shave as often. I keep a beard and only shave off the hair on the bottom to keep the beard neat every 3 days. My beard is neither coarse nor fast growing.

(11-03-2013, 01:41 PM)u2u Wrote: As a Chubby 3 two band, and Chubby 2 manchurian user, I could never part with either. Indeed, I would like to add a 3, in manchurian, as you have. They love a diet of MdC, brain bowl, or glass jar. The M&F is on the small size. For the size of the M&F knot my handle preference would go towards something more suited to bowl lathering, thus the M&F would be first to go. If it went, it would be a desperation move as it appears to be a superb brush. If I were to cut to one, the Simpson two band would survive. Decadent luxury.... If you can have only one.

That's a smooth thought process!

0 193
 11-04-2013, 04:50 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I would choose to retain the Manchurian above all else. So my choice would only be between the M&F and the bespoke Silvertip.

The M&F is significantly smaller than the CH 3. Do you have a size preference? If MdC is your preferred soap, then the brain bowl easily accommodates the larger brush.

I relish the luxury aspect of shaving. The CH 3 is entirely representative of luxury and therefore would be my choice.

Retaining the M&F would provide more variety, but given you own but 3 brushes I'd suggest you are already quite comfortable with your preferences and are in no quandary over what you appreciate.

Selling the M&F would achieve the highest return on your investment as Lee Sabini is but a one man operation and the popularity of his work seems to regularly exceed his capabilities to meet demand.

91 17,875
 11-04-2013, 05:02 AM
User Info
Well, I don't like the Manchurian hair as much as some people do, but I like it more than the Silvertip Simpsons sells.

I'd keep the M&F and the Manchurian - or I'd sell the lot and buy a few Simpsons Best brushes (their best hair grade, IMO). Sometimes more money doesn't buy better performance.

37 1,731
 11-04-2013, 08:13 AM
  • P Funk
  • I can only carry 50 chickens at a time
  • Bay Area, NorCal
User Info
another vote for the M&F and Manchurian Chubby

19 591
 11-04-2013, 09:46 AM
User Info
(11-04-2013, 08:13 AM)P Funk Wrote: another vote for the M&F and Manchurian Chubby

+1 The M&F playing in his own league Biggrin

8 1,522
 11-04-2013, 10:28 AM
User Info
Excellent points gents.

I think I'm going to hang on to them.

Better to be with, than without and regret.

0 193
 11-04-2013, 10:29 AM
User Info
Based on my experience with a CH2 Manchurian, CH2 2-Band, and a Finest 2/1, I'd go with the Chubby 3 Manchurian - if you can handle the size.

Chubbies are lather hogs, so it's great that you're using MdC that lather's like a champ. I personally prefer the thick gel-like hair of Simpson Manchurian more than any other brush. I do think a Chubby is a tad over dense, so my favorite brush is actually my Polo 10 Manchurian.

8 124