11-02-2013, 04:30 PM
  • rsp1202
  • Los Angeles
User Info
I've got my second Muhle v2 synthetic headed this way, a 33 K 257 silvertip, 23mm knot. I like them enough to have ditched my Savile Row badgers. They have just the right amount of firmness and softness at their nominal 56mm loft -- but I'm not a high-loft kind of guy so was thinking about getting another a few millimeters shorter. This customizing would also give me the opportunity to use one of my favorite handles, the Vulfix Grosvenor 404.

I have a couple questions for the experts here before I contact Rudy Vey (who has already customized a Grosvenor/Shavemac Finest for me that I no longer have). First, I'd like to know which Muhle knot will fit the Grosvenor, the 21mm or 23mm. I know Rudy would be able to tell, but if anyone has first-hand experience, that would give me a head's up toward figuring how much extra work might be involved in resetting.

Second, I haven't a clue what loft to ask for -- is 50-52mm too short? Will it make the knot too firm and scrubby? Will 54mm produce literally no change in feel? I know some of you gents have experimented around with this so am interested in your experience.

I mostly face-lather, but will use a bowl on occasion. I just like the looks of a shorter-loft brush but don't want to compromise the great feel of the Muhle STF. I'm open to suggestions and would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

20 1,607
 11-02-2013, 04:35 PM
User Info
(11-02-2013, 04:30 PM)rsp1202 Wrote: I've got my second Muhle v2 synthetic headed this way, a 33 K 257 silvertip, 23mm knot. I like them enough to have ditched my Savile Row badgers. They have just the right amount of firmness and softness at their nominal 56mm loft -- but I'm not a high-loft kind of guy so was thinking about getting another a few millimeters shorter. This customizing would also give me the opportunity to use one of my favorite handles, the Vulfix Grosvenor 404.

I have a couple questions for the experts here before I contact Rudy Vey (who has already customized a Grosvenor/Shavemac Finest for me that I no longer have). First, I'd like to know which Muhle knot will fit the Grosvenor, the 21mm or 23mm. I know Rudy would be able to tell, but if anyone has first-hand experience, that would give me a head's up toward figuring how much extra work might be involved in resetting.

Second, I haven't a clue what loft to ask for -- is 50-52mm too short? Will it make the knot too firm and scrubby? Will 54mm produce literally no change in feel? I know some of you gents have experimented around with this so am interested in your experience.

I mostly face-lather, but will use a bowl on occasion. I just like the looks of a shorter-loft brush but don't want to compromise the great feel of the Muhle STF. I'm open to suggestions and would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

If Rudy is directly ordering the STF knots, they have been coming with a screw on cap that can affect the sizing. Many times caps are removed leaving a smaller resulting knot. Rudy is handling these knots so he will know which on will fit into the hole.

As to loft, this knot has been used down into the 50 mm range but if you want to bowl lather you might want to consider keeping it around 52 mm for a little extra splay.

1 2,827
 11-02-2013, 06:28 PM
  • rsp1202
  • Los Angeles
User Info
Thanks, GD. Boonie's AS3M handle has given me another option besides the Grosvenor. The conformation of that brush looks great. I'd think the 23mm Muhle knot would fit a similar handle without problem . . . so there's that. In either case, I'm looking at a 50mm loft, with a little fudging that goes no higher than 52. Sound okay?

20 1,607
 11-02-2013, 06:45 PM
User Info
(11-02-2013, 06:28 PM)rsp1202 Wrote: Thanks, GD. Boonie's AS3M handle has given me another option besides the Grosvenor. The conformation of that brush looks great. I'd think the 23mm Muhle knot would fit a similar handle without problem . . . so there's that. In either case, I'm looking at a 50mm loft, with a little fudging that goes no higher than 52. Sound okay?

Get around 52 and you should have a good all around performer.

1 2,827
 11-02-2013, 07:10 PM
User Info
My RV Black Fibre is set at 50 & I wouldn't want it any lower. It is a 21mm knot which is less dense & softer overall compared to the STF knots. My next one with Rudy will be closer to the loft as they come from Mühle as, which for the Black Fibre is more like 54-55. A couple mm can make a big difference with synthetic knots while it might not make as much of a difference with a badger knot.

31 7,914