04-22-2012, 10:25 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Got this to read and men beware..they are removing any sign of manliness on these models...All have shaved chests and arms and legs and they are wearing toatally sexless clothes...tight pants and jackets,no socks,shoes that look like ladies except for the heels and the most stupid,stunned looks on their faces...probably because they all had their testicles removed...holy crap can,t a Man be Manly any more..?? Do we all have to look like dolls ? Check it out ..it will make you scream and join a biker gang...bring back the days whem Men were Men ....WE ARE MEN..not girls for G-Ds sake !!!!

6 1,913
 04-22-2012, 02:12 PM
User Info
Harvey, I mean no offense with this statement but what were you expecting? I'm sure it's a regional thing and I'm probably considered pretty back woods as far as the Gentleman's Quarterly goes. That said, real men wouldn't be caught dead reading GQ where I'm from. Most guys around here wouldn't pick up a magazine that didn't say Guns and Ammo or Car and Driver. Even recommending that someone check the pictures of these pretty boys out would get you some funny looks from most of the men I know. Once again, please understand that I mean no offense with this comment but it did strike me as funny. Dodgy

0 145
 04-22-2012, 02:23 PM
User Info
Dare I say that many males today, though mature, have not attained manhood. Nor, apparently, are they inclined to. :/

31 7,914
 04-22-2012, 02:53 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
A man is many things and to try to pigeonhole who or what he is does an injustice to all men. I assume that GQ is geared to a specific type of reader, just as Guns & Ammo or Car and Driver are. Any man reading any, or all, of those is neither more nor less masculine for doing so.

2 11,211
 04-22-2012, 03:15 PM
User Info
(04-22-2012, 02:53 PM)freddy Wrote: A man is many things and to try to pigeonhole who or what he is does an injustice to all men. I assume that GQ is geared to a specific type of reader, just as Guns & Ammo or Car and Driver are. Any man reading any, or all, of those is neither more nor less masculine for doing so.

+1

I can tell you that when I first started wet shaving, and talking about the different scented creams and soaps out there, I got several questions about the masculinity of it. That being said, I see wet shaving as one of the most masculine things we can do. I will say that I hunt, I shoot competitively, and as you can see from my avatar, I am a Scout Leader. But, when not doing those things, I am generally in a very nice tailored suit, Italian wingtips, and tie. I don't shave my chest, but if SWMBO suggested that it would "do it" for her, I have to say that I would be tempted. Also, it would give me an excuse to use different brushes and creams in one day Tongue

1 223
 04-22-2012, 03:25 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Ah memoriesRolleyes
I was stationed at Treasure Island motor life boat station in 1976 on San Francisco Bay.
I took interest in a proper man's wardrobe when I realised
University and civilian life were my near future.
I was briefly assigned a S.P. in Oakland and got in trouble after depositing a pimp on West MacArthur BLVD in a city of Oakland trashcan head first. My 'punishment' was reeassignment to the gay district in S.F. I frustrated my command by making many friends there.
So, one day I picked up my first copy of G.Q. to get a clue about clothing.
I was immediately intercepted at the newsstand by this older gay gentleman who was a well known writer. He took the G.Q. and threw it in the trash. We went to Cable Car clothiers; then a real haberdasher instead of the rip off anacronism today.
I bought; a 3 piece grey oxford suit,AE Park Avenue shoes,5 shirts,5 ties,socks,braces. I blew all of 2 month's pay. that was just the start.
A year later saw me mustered out and back home in SOCAL. My clothing was totally out of place 99.99% of the time. I realised it was that .01% that mattered.
G.Q. continues to be a fashion rag as silly as CCC prices.
But never think only readers of Guns and Ammo find it utterly silly.Wink

2 3,171
 04-22-2012, 03:35 PM
User Info
(04-22-2012, 02:53 PM)freddy Wrote: A man is many things and to try to pigeonhole who or what he is does an injustice to all men. I assume that GQ is geared to a specific type of reader, just as Guns & Ammo or Car and Driver are. Any man reading any, or all, of those is neither more nor less masculine for doing so.

No pigeonholing going on here. There is little doubt that GQ is geared towards a specific reader. Less there be some misinterpretation, I'm simply stating what I believe to many would be somewhat obvious. I think there are a good number that would expect to see exactly what was described by the OP if they were to pick this magazine up. The funny looks would simply be, the are you crazy to have expected to see something else?

(04-22-2012, 03:15 PM)cjokrap Wrote: I can tell you that when I first started wet shaving, and talking about the different scented creams and soaps out there, I got several questions about the masculinity of it. That being said, I see wet shaving as one of the most masculine things we can do. I will say that I hunt, I shoot competitively, and as you can see from my avatar, I am a Scout Leader. But, when not doing those things, I am generally in a very nice tailored suit, Italian wingtips, and tie. I don't shave my chest, but if SWMBO suggested that it would "do it" for her, I have to say that I would be tempted. Also, it would give me an excuse to use different brushes and creams in one day Tongue

Being a civilized man or gentlemanly are not at opposite ends of the spectrum from masculinity. This, anymore than today's fashion rags accurately reflecting a true gentleman.

0 145
 04-22-2012, 04:25 PM
User Info
My take on GQ is that it appeals to guys just out of high school who want to fantasize that they are James Bond. Sprinkle few hot chicks in each issue and guys think "If I look like the dudes in GQ, I'm gonna get sugar galore, be uber trendy and oh so cool. I am going to buy the stuff they are wearing so I can look like them." Eventually they grow up and realize that you can't buy class and good manners, and that some magazines are little more than a bunch of ads. The best place to find out about dressing well is the local tailor or haberdasher. BTW - For anyone in SF with a mountain of cash, Cable Car Clothiers is still around and so is Wilkes Bashford. Those of more modest means can still get very nice clothes at one of the small, family owned tailors.

0 303
 04-22-2012, 05:16 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I am now so confused about my identy Doubt
We have a thread going about our 'shave caves'
and ( as my clothing mentor called it) GeeQueer
magazine.
My shaving kit claims a mass produced drawer in the apartment bathroom and half the counter. I'd love to
buy Brian Batt's BIG,EASY,STYLE; DO SOMETHING with the cheap,white latex paint and linoleum besides compulsive repetitive cleaningDodgy
My enclave of manly man stuff is a corner desk by the window.
I have a oriental rug, green glass banker's lamp , my late uncle's Waterford whisky decanter and the complete 2nd edition of Player collector cards for Gilbert and Sullivan on the wall. I have the COLT revolver in the drawer in case the Spanish Inquisition bursts in wearing red cassocks.
I don't do well with red. I like blue ties.I forget which colour is a 'power tie' to project my confidence. That never lasts when the 'firm grip' handshake ritual takes place like dogs sniffing each other's rear ends. I broke my hand badly. I have a real whimpy handshake.
To many people are telling everybody what they can or cannot be; GQ magazine, politicians,significant others and the mayan calander.
You know what NOBODY tells you? How to pay for it:blahblah2:

2 3,171
 04-24-2012, 04:18 AM
User Info
I'm guilty of reading GQ in the past...With that said, I am completely secure about my masculinity. I did like to read it for some of the new style trends that were coming out, but now styles are becoming over the top...An example of this: Men wearing a shirt, tie, suit jacket and shorts!!!!
I also liked reading about the companies that some of the models were sporting...Again, becoming over the top
I wish there there was another classic gentleman's magazine that could promote classic fashion(appare, shoes etc), watches, wet-shaving etc. Sort of like a Shaving forum in magazine form. I consider myself young(32) and still like reading a magazine every now and then---completely different thread could be started on this Biggrin

9 333
 04-25-2012, 10:48 PM
User Info
If gas prices keep going up, our manhood will be judged by how far we can push our cars.

9 1,199
 04-25-2012, 11:54 PM
  • leo
  • Two Rivers WI
User Info
I don't read GQ or any other magazine for that matter but I think that GQ is aimed specific group.
As for masculinity goes I never understood the measurement of it but I'm pretty sure it's not about looks. I think a real man is kind,honest and hardworking. Shaved chests,skinny jeans and sexuality have nothing to do with it....But that's just me.

0 126