11-03-2013, 09:08 AM
User Info
What is the best way to maintain a brush? Is it like a paint brush that needs to be hung upside down to dry? Any thoughts about your experiences appreciated.

0 80
 11-03-2013, 09:32 AM
User Info
The discussion on storing your bristles up or down seems to be never-ending, with many good points made on both sides. Same with the discussion of how and how often - or even if at all - you should wash your brush.

Personally I think it's a case of YMMV; I let my brushes hang with the bristles down until the next morning, then store them with the bristles up - and I don't wash my brushes either, simply rinse them well and shake them out. If you live somewhere with harder water than I do, you might want to give them a proper wash now and then. Same if you're a bit more OCD and/or have expensive brushes - which I do not.

tl:dr? YMMV - do what works for you.

3 3,557
 11-03-2013, 09:38 AM
User Info
One of the best things you can do is to allow it to thoroughly dry before placing in any enclosed space. You should let it air dry in the open until it is completely dry to prevent mold and mildew from occurring.

Long term care such as special cleaning depends upon the soap you use and how hard the water is. There are dedicated brush cleaners and there are home remedies as well. Most brush users may only deep clean a brush every couple of years if at all.

1 2,827
 11-03-2013, 10:03 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I don't have much to add to what has been said. In simple terms, if you rinse your brush thoroughly after each use and allow it to dry completely in the open, either hanging bristles down or standing up, before putting it away you can't go wrong.

5 758
 11-03-2013, 01:01 PM
User Info
I've actually tested and posted results between the two methods. The answer is it doesn't matter. Both dry in relatively the same amount of time.

One just looks more neat & organized.

9 2,988
 11-03-2013, 01:03 PM
User Info
(11-03-2013, 10:03 AM)Rufus Wrote: I don't have much to add to what has been said. In simple terms, if you rinse your brush thoroughly after each use and allow it to dry completely in the open, either hanging bristles down or standing up, before putting it away you can't go wrong.

+1 Biggrin

75 20,883
 11-06-2013, 01:15 AM
User Info
(11-03-2013, 09:08 AM)Jay Wrote: What is the best way to maintain a brush? Is it like a paint brush that needs to be hung upside down to dry?

Except if it's a Synthetic the shaving brush has some differences from a paint brush and needs more care
Some guys say that if you want your brush to "bloom" more quickly let it dry upright,if you don't care about that hang it up-side down.
Don't let it dry in a closet as the other member said and there is no way to expose it directly to the sun.

0 353
 11-06-2013, 05:31 AM
User Info
That all makes sense...and about what I was doing..Thanks....now for a new brush and razor.

0 80