11-03-2013, 10:45 AM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
I have been messing with a Hario v60 02 in ceramic, and as part of the experimenting I have been fussing with grind size and amount, time for initial bloom and water volume (temp has been a pretty constant 195-200).

I like a robust coffee and only add water when drinking Americanos, so right now, this is what works best for me:

28g medium grind (about like drip, or just a skosh finer)
415g water
Bloom time apprx 40 secs with 75ish grams of water.

27 860
 11-03-2013, 10:51 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I use a new model Melita plastic cone # 2 size...1 Coffee measure of whatever and pour it over...stir and wait till the cup fills and then realize why they invented 4 cup electric coffee makers...so much easier...other wise we should have been chemists working in a laboratory....basically we have now found a way to make coffee making longer than drinking it...progress?????

6 1,913
 11-03-2013, 11:27 AM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
(11-03-2013, 10:51 AM)Harvey Wrote: I use a new model Melita plastic cone # 2 size...1 Coffee measure of whatever and pour it over...stir and wait till the cup fills and then realize why they invented 4 cup electric coffee makers...so much easier...other wise we should have been chemists working in a laboratory....basically we have now found a way to make coffee making longer than drinking it...progress?????

Ha, progress is measured with different yardsticks...but I get your point. Candidly I feel a bit sheepish creating a drink atop a scale where I previously just eyeballed amounts, heated and voila, mediocre coffee. Now my mediocre coffee has a scientific explanation.

27 860
 11-03-2013, 12:19 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(11-03-2013, 11:27 AM)ojinsa Wrote:
(11-03-2013, 10:51 AM)Harvey Wrote: I use a new model Melita plastic cone # 2 size...1 Coffee measure of whatever and pour it over...stir and wait till the cup fills and then realize why they invented 4 cup electric coffee makers...so much easier...other wise we should have been chemists working in a laboratory....basically we have now found a way to make coffee making longer than drinking it...progress?????

Ha, progress is measured with different yardsticks...but I get your point. Candidly I feel a bit sheepish creating a drink atop a scale where I previously just eyeballed amounts, heated an voila, mediocre coffee. Now my mediocre coffee has a scientific explanation.

But isn't that why we wet shave? Sure, a 5-blade wonder and canned goo would get us out the door but it misses the point. As in the way one demonstrates how he makes his coffee, it shows that we are inquisitive, intelligent, have incredibly good taste, and are all-around perfect human beings. What more could you ask for? Oh yeah, it's fun. Winky

2 11,211
 11-03-2013, 12:55 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
OK OK I spent 4 hours investigating Coffee grinders and blade composition with motor speed and material deposits along with coffee scoops and proper storage methods.....now I,m as crazy as you guys...thanks a lot!!!!!TongueTongueTongueTongue

6 1,913
 11-03-2013, 01:08 PM
User Info
Pre-wet my hario filter, put three scoops of beans into the hopper, grind at setting 12 (virtuoso), pour over 4 ounces of water, bloom, pour over the rest of the water.

9 2,988
 11-03-2013, 07:59 PM
User Info
Wow, this thread gets more intriguing each day! I am almost tempted to start drinking some good organic coffee! You lads make the whole process sound incredibly wonderful! Blush

75 20,883
 11-04-2013, 09:48 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
and "addictive"....!!!!!BiggrinTongueSmileCoolDodgyHeart

6 1,913
 11-04-2013, 11:20 AM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
(11-03-2013, 07:59 PM)celestino Wrote: Wow, this thread gets more intriguing each day! I am almost tempted to start drinking some good organic coffee! You lads make the whole process sound incredibly wonderful! Blush

You really ought to Celestino. Life's too short to not enjoy some of the best parts about it, like good coffee!

27 860
 11-04-2013, 01:16 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Also good women,booze,cars and shoes!!!!!(add own "things")

6 1,913
 11-21-2013, 02:19 PM
User Info
I just found this part of the forum and WOW!!!! I might like coffee more than shaving haha …. might.

I love how I have created a process for both … and how both foster mindfulness and full immersion

Anyway, my current method is pour over w a Chemex.

My steps:

- Weigh whole beans (usually 30g)
- Grind on pour over setting on Bodum burr grinder
- Boil water in Hario kettle with thin spout
- Put the Chemex on scale, add ground beans, zero out
- Add water slowly in small circles (usually 50g) to bloom (until water starts dripping .. roughly 30 sec)
- Continue to add water (first in small circles and then in small amounts to the center) riding the wave
- Stopping when scale hits desired number. Usually 14x the weight of the beans depending on the desired strength

30g of beans / 420g water = 14

I agree 100% with the similar comments above. Since I started weighing both the beans and water I can adjust the strength using math.

I use the same method when using all Hario gear.

191 1,552
 01-08-2014, 07:20 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
This is TBA...I have a clever brewer on the way from Sweet Maria's. Biggrin

45 16,352
 01-08-2014, 08:22 PM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
Nice! Do you also use a chemex? I've had coffee brewed in a chemex a few times this week and I think it brings out some notes in coffees that aren't brought out in a pour over with my Hario. That may be my next pour over endeavor.

27 860
 01-08-2014, 08:32 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
I was tempted to get a chemex. There may be one in my future. Biggrin I have not used one yet.

45 16,352
 01-08-2014, 08:37 PM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
I don't have one either, but one of my local coffee joints (complete with San Antonio's version of hipsters) brews with a chemex and I gotta say I'm pleasantly surprised.

27 860
 01-08-2014, 09:14 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
I may have to give one a try. Unfortunately I do not have any hip coffee joints near me.

45 16,352