11-03-2013, 12:13 PM
  • tave
  • Mr whiskers
  • baltimore
User Info
I could use some advice with my post shave routine. I currently rinse off with cold water then clean and blot with a dampened cool cloth. Then I apply LUCKY TIGER after shave and face tonic. I let it set in while I tidy up the sink and surrounding perimeter. Then I apply some homemade AS balm containing shea butter and patchouli EO. I let it soak in for about 15 mins then even it out by massaging out the excess. FINISHED. My question is could I incorporate some fragrant alcohol free AS splash on top of the shea butter mixture or would that be overkill and completely foolish. What I'm going for here is some lingering fragrance on my face that the shea butter mixture is not providing.

0 76
 11-03-2013, 01:07 PM
User Info
You post-shave routine sounds very nice!
Personally, I have never used any AS/splash and just use cold water followed by unrefined shea butter, but I know a few gents who mix their cologne/AS with their shea butter when applying or soon afterwards and it seems to work out well. I am sure some of them will be here soon enough to share their experiences. Biggrin
Good luck.

74 20,798
 11-08-2013, 09:19 AM
User Info
PM sent

32 6,302
 11-08-2013, 09:27 AM
User Info
I leave a layer of lather on my face while I clean my brush and razor, put on deodorant etc. Cool/Cold rinse, then AS balm or splash.

I have been mixing my AS Gel (NB Signature) in my hand with a squirt of WH, but that's it. I didn't find WH did much for me and I have never enjoyed the feeling or sensation from Alum.

I think too many people overdo the post shave with cold rinse, WH, cold rinse, Alum, cold rinse, AS etc. Splashes tend to linger longer then Balms, but both smell great on application.

On the w/ends or when going out, I'll a couple squirts of cologne to longer lasting scent and they never clash with the AS routine.

8 2,718
 11-08-2013, 09:54 AM
User Info
If scent is what you are looking for than just try cologne after your post shave routine. I don't know how it would clash with the patchouli

2 694
 11-29-2013, 05:04 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I rinse off, use potassium alum, stings, leave it on as I clean up brush, sink, etc, then rinse off. skin feels amazing and fresh, then I apply a balm usually. Speick, or Nivea Sensitive, Baxter... sometimes Krampfert's (yum) or Speick splash. I have some La Toja splash, but I find the scent a little bit creepy old fart sitting next to you on the bus early on in the day. Very obvious or something. Sometimes I want to move to another seat, but it's ME.

0 1,594
 02-07-2014, 01:05 AM
User Info
(02-06-2014, 10:53 PM)yass100 Wrote: Well it depends what your shaving.

what do you mean? wouldn't that be implicit that op talks about the face - the usual shave? if you think about shaving other body parts i for one would think twice before applying too much after shave Tongue

7 1,625
 03-26-2014, 01:43 AM
User Info
aftershave moistierizing cream

if ur talking about pubic areas then use conditioner [godly feeling soft]

0 11
 03-26-2014, 10:55 AM
User Info
You seem to already have a great post shave routine why change it.

98 12,362
 03-29-2014, 06:52 PM
User Info
I like the mild scent of Nivea sensitive post shave balm, and the skin care is excellent as well. And it's very reasonably priced, available everywhere

2 82
 06-16-2014, 11:01 PM
User Info
I use alum, them witch hazel, then old spice, or sometimes an aftershave balm if I have some irritation. If I had a great shave I'll skip the alum.
This combo makes my skin feel tight and keeps oil at a minimum. My skin has never been so clear

Sent from my iPhone

2 55
 07-11-2014, 10:07 PM
User Info
Your routine sounds pretty nice actually. The only thing that makes no sense is putting on a splash after a butter..

If you want to incorporate a splash in that routine, I would make sure you use the Splash before the Shea. When ever you put something on your face, you want to go from thinnest to thickest. If you put a thin product over a thick product, the thin product will not penetrate the skin, making it completely pointless and wasteful.

Always apply SPF Last tho in any situation.

46 1,102
 07-12-2014, 05:09 AM
User Info
post shave, i rinse with warm water, then i apply an ice cube to sooth my skin, then i apply a small amount of aloevera gel. i rinse again with cold water after a few mins, apply witch hazel and finish with ASB.

1 495
 07-12-2014, 10:10 AM
User Info
(07-12-2014, 05:09 AM)buddingshaver Wrote: post shave, i rinse with warm water, then i apply an ice cube to sooth my skin, then i apply a small amount of aloevera gel. i rinse again with cold water after a few mins, apply witch hazel and finish with ASB.

Sounds quite enjoyable! I just been using my Stirling Lemon Chill or MITA for a nice cool finish. Followed by SPF moisturizer. Lemon chill will make your face feel like a Freezer if you happen to be in front of the AC! Haha

46 1,102
 01-16-2015, 12:16 PM
User Info
after the last pass:
1. i lather up one more time but do not shave i just leave it while i clean up the sink and surrounding area.
2. rinse with warm water, then ICE cold water usually twice.
3. pat dry.
4. apply after shave /balm of the day.
it seems the older i get, i think most of our problems in shaving and in life is because we have over-complicated things. my granfather just shave, rinse, dry and in his case a liberal application of Old Spice. keep it simple. you'll be alright!

0 189