11-04-2013, 10:07 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
This is an article that I have written for Sharpologist.com , our beloved friend's Mantic59 blog/web page.

[Image: DSC_0083.JPG?m=1383586162]

This is the first shaving soap that I try from Barrister and Mann , and gentlemen , I couldn't be happier with it.What a great scent skin care and lather.Its been simply a pleasure to use it and I can totally recommend it with no hesitation at all , knowing its wonderful properties.

Here are its ingredient list.Check it out carefully :

[Image: DSC_0085.JPG?m=1383586162]

This is another tallow based shaving soap , with other "goodies" like lanolin , shea butter ,castor and cacao oil and other EO to give its superb scent.Nice for Barrister and Mann.

-Presentation : 1

This soap comes wrapped on a paper with two stickers (both front and back) , but hey , this is a refill , so its all good.However I feel that this fantastic soap would deserve a better presentation , at least , an aluminum tin so I just put it on an aluminum tin and I'm a happy camper now.

The soap is on the "soft" side , so if you put it on a container , you wont have any problem "squeezing" it.

-Scent : 9

Gentlemen , this scent have haunted me (on the good side) since I did unwrapped the mailing box about a week ago.Its a strong , elegant , woody and fresh scent , with notes of Vetiver and Sandalwood , which gives it such a deep presence , and there are some fresh notes (maybe the laudanum) that gives it the complexity I like in many scents.This is a manly scent , but well balance and , again , very elegant.I see it more suitable for winter/cold time more than for summer/hot time.

-Performance : 9

Its performance its top notch.I don't have to kill myself or my arm trying to figure out the ratio of water or how much soap I need to use.I simply load the brush with water , get the excess of it out , and load the brush with the soap for 20 seconds.After that , start to make lather , face or bowl lathering.As simply and easy as that.

Images are better than words.Here with a Simpson Duke 3 best badger which I loaded for 20 seconds :

[Image: DSC_0087.JPG?m=1383586162]

[Image: DSC_0089.JPG?m=1383586164]

And this is the lather after a minute of "palm lathering"

[Image: DSC_0090.JPG?m=1383586162]

As you can see the lather is very thick , rich , fragrant and ultra slick too.

The shaves have been incredible comfortable , since the ingredients of this soap takes care of my dry skin like champs , and I truly appreciate that.The lather , as I say is very , very slick , so if you are a straight razor user , and are looking for a soap/cream which provides that kind of lather , you have a good option here.
The post shave is another triumph , since I have not suffer from any skin irritation or dryness but the opposite : well nourished skin (after shave balm wont be truly need it , but I use it anyways ) and my skin in perfect condition.

So good lather and great skin care properties , with a complex, rich , masculine and elegant scent. What not to like about this soap ?

Totally recommended , gentlemen.

Thanks to Barrister and Mann for giving me the chance to try this new soap , as well as Sharpologist.com

86 7,123
 11-04-2013, 10:15 AM
User Info
Nice review, Teiste. The Hallows scent was recently released for halloween, so the following definitely gave me a chuckle (thanks):

(11-04-2013, 10:07 AM)Teiste Wrote: Gentlemen , this scent have haunted me (on the good side) since I did unwrapped the mailing box about a week ago.

14 210
 11-04-2013, 11:06 AM
User Info
I do not see it on their site, nice review T.

129 6,685
 11-04-2013, 11:16 AM
User Info
(11-04-2013, 11:06 AM)wingdo Wrote: I do not see it on their site, nice review T.

We made only a limited batch of it for the competition, which sold out rather quickly I'm afraid. However, if there is a Winter Scent-Off, we will definitely make more of that submission so that more people can give it a go.

To be honest, we were all caught a bit off-guard by how quickly it sold. We expected to be sitting with it for a bit given its somewhat peculiar fragrance design.

Teiste, I'm glad to hear that you liked it so much! We considered shipping the submissions with tins and knew we would take a hit on packaging, but felt that it was more within our "death and decay" theme to ship it with packaging that would decay and disappear very quickly.

Thanks very much for your great review!

5 407
 11-04-2013, 11:20 AM
User Info
Lovely review, Teiste! Smile

75 20,883
 11-04-2013, 12:19 PM
User Info
Thanks for the review, Teiste. I really like the tallow soaps and will have to give some B&M a try.

183 12,002
 11-04-2013, 02:52 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
(11-04-2013, 11:16 AM)BarristerN_Mann Wrote:
(11-04-2013, 11:06 AM)wingdo Wrote: I do not see it on their site, nice review T.

We made only a limited batch of it for the competition, which sold out rather quickly I'm afraid. However, if there is a Winter Scent-Off, we will definitely make more of that submission so that more people can give it a go.

To be honest, we were all caught a bit off-guard by how quickly it sold. We expected to be sitting with it for a bit given its somewhat peculiar fragrance design.

Teiste, I'm glad to hear that you liked it so much! We considered shipping the submissions with tins and knew we would take a hit on packaging, but felt that it was more within our "death and decay" theme to ship it with packaging that would decay and disappear very quickly.

Thanks very much for your great review!

Excellent review Teiste. I read the breakdown on Mantics site today and everyone loved it pretty much. B&M's lather is wonderful, and consistent across all the scents I've tried.

This should maybe be one of your "Limited Edition, Fall/Winter" releases? That you could produce only during the a few months maybe?? Hint, hint...

My list of B&M soaps to buy is growing quickly after working on your sample pack. I'm gonna have to whittle it down somehow though I guess..

14 1,177
 11-04-2013, 03:18 PM
User Info
I really like my B&M soaps and quite disappointed in myself that I didn't jump on this scent.

Hopefully I won't delay and pick it up as quickly as possible!

6 229
 11-04-2013, 09:52 PM
User Info
I am grateful to be one of the judges for the Scent Off and will share my ratings and impression of this fine soap. This is not the first time I have used a Barrister & Mann soap. I

Scent - 9
Performance - 9
Presentation - 5 - I am a huge fan of the graphic design for Hallows logo on the sticker.

Barrister & Mann described the Hallows soap as having been inspired by the "Swamps of Boston." I have never been to the Swamps of Boston but I have been to swamps in the southeast and they have no resemblance to this fine soap. This scent of Hallows is not overpowering but is readily evident. A true manly scent. The scent lingers after the shave but does not interfere with an aftershave or cologne. The spirit of the soap does capture the seasonal intent and is a perfect soap for the chilly days of fall. Hallows is a little thirsty but rewards the user with a rich lather that provides a great cushioning for the shave. The lather is slick and leaves the face feeling smooth and conditioned long after the shave. A great soap from Barrister & Mann with a creative logo design. I am not surprised that the soap sold out quickly.

Thanks to Mark for the opportunity to participate in the Scent Off and to Barrister & Mann for a quality soap.

29 1,731
 11-05-2013, 04:17 AM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
Agreed! Excellent review my friend, makes me want to buy some. By the way are those tins the same size Jabonman uses?

10 963
 11-05-2013, 08:10 AM
User Info
I've used this soap (Vetiver/Heather/Clary Sage) and would concur, it's very good.

0 25
 11-05-2013, 11:17 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I didn't get in on the Hallows buying extravaganza, but I have now owned two different pucks of this soap. (Cheshire, which was accidentally thrown away by the toddler, and Nocturne.) The soap works amazingly well, and they do a great job creating their scents.

10/10, will shave again. Smile

10 1,858
 11-05-2013, 04:19 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I have a sample of this soap and although it lathers nicely I was a little disappointed in the fragrance. All I could smell was clay.

100 12,438
 11-05-2013, 07:07 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(11-05-2013, 04:19 PM)slantman Wrote: I have a sample of this soap and although it lathers nicely I was a little disappointed in the fragrance. All I could smell was clay.

Seriously ? mmmmm , interesting.Mine has a very strong scent.

86 7,123
 11-06-2013, 11:57 AM
User Info
I assume these soaps come in a 3" puck?

63 2,128
 11-06-2013, 11:58 AM
User Info
(11-06-2013, 11:57 AM)cessnabird Wrote: I assume these soaps come in a 3" puck?

They do, but the soap itself is quite soft and can be made to fit any container desired or necessary. Smile

5 407
 11-06-2013, 12:16 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(11-05-2013, 07:07 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(11-05-2013, 04:19 PM)slantman Wrote: I have a sample of this soap and although it lathers nicely I was a little disappointed in the fragrance. All I could smell was clay.

Yes what I smell is clay no fragrance.

100 12,438
 11-06-2013, 12:19 PM
User Info
(11-06-2013, 11:58 AM)BarristerN_Mann Wrote:
(11-06-2013, 11:57 AM)cessnabird Wrote: I assume these soaps come in a 3" puck?

They do, but the soap itself is quite soft and can be made to fit any container desired or necessary. Smile

This is good to know, thanks!

63 2,128
 11-06-2013, 03:23 PM
User Info
(11-06-2013, 12:16 PM)slantman Wrote:
(11-05-2013, 07:07 PM)Teiste Wrote:

My guess would be that you're smelling the Vetiver, which is sometimes described as being "clay-like" due to the fact that it smells very much of earth and soil. There's no actual clay in the soap, though there is silk protein.

5 407
 11-07-2013, 02:00 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(11-06-2013, 03:23 PM)BarristerN_Mann Wrote:
(11-06-2013, 12:16 PM)slantman Wrote:
(11-05-2013, 07:07 PM)Teiste Wrote: Seriously ? mmmmm , interesting.Mine has a very strong scent.

My guess would be that you're smelling the Vetiver, which is sometimes described as being "clay-like" due to the fact that it smells very much of earth and soil. There's no actual clay in the soap, though there is silk protein.

Maybe an additional fragrance should be added to help it along. The actual lathering and cushion are great. I have another soap from another artisan which consists of lime and vetiver and what comes through is the lime smell.

100 12,438