11-05-2013, 08:39 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
or.."my first experience with the legendary Personna 74"
I usually rotate day by day between four razors with a different blade in each but I'm using this blade exclusively until it's shot, which according to legend may be as long as a month, we'll see.I put one in my Fat Boy, set it at 6 and here we go
Day one:
Brush: Rooney Heritage Stubby size 3
Soap: Pre de Provence, face lathered
Results: I got a little careless on the first pass forgetting what I had in the razor and gave myself a wee little nick, but that was entirely my fault. After my usual three passes I have to say I've never had a smoother, closer shave in my life. That's not to say I haven't had others as smooth and as close, but I can't remember when. The proof in this pudding though is going to be in how long it lasts.....http://www.bruceonshaving.com/2010/07/30/personna-74-the-ultimate-razor-blade/ like I said, we'll see. I'll be reporting

http://www.bruceonshaving.com/2010/07/30...zor-blade/

sorry about the link

6 2,006
 11-05-2013, 08:56 AM
User Info
Good luck with the '74.

75 20,883
 11-21-2013, 11:41 AM
  • Mouser
User Info
Amazing. Amazing.

6 2,006
 11-27-2013, 01:41 PM
  • Mouser
User Info
Still going. It's like I already got an unbelievably close shave then put on some lather and I am running a blade-less razor across my face removing it. No sensation of anything happening yet the whiskers are gone.

6 2,006
 11-27-2013, 01:44 PM
User Info
How many shaves on that blade so far? I just bought 26 of them and I'm thinking about starting 2014 with one of them and see how far into the year it takes me.

0 836
 11-28-2013, 12:23 PM
  • Mouser
User Info
(11-27-2013, 01:44 PM)5Savages Wrote: How many shaves on that blade so far? I just bought 26 of them and I'm thinking about starting 2014 with one of them and see how far into the year it takes me.
Just 9 so far Savage, I'm alternating with all my other razors. But that 9th shave was still closer and smoother than anything new I've ever tried. It's like not using a blade at all and just sliding a razor over your face. No pulling, tugging, no sensation at all except gliding thru the lather and rinse.....and the whiskas are gonzo.

6 2,006
 11-28-2013, 04:53 PM
User Info
Personna 74 DE blades are pretty amazing. They may not be the smoothest blades I have tried but they are incredibly sharp and long lasting. I typically get 2 weeks of shaves from a blade before I bin it.

In the winter I sport a beard and use a Personna 74 injector blade in a Schick G. I get over a month shaving under my neck to the jaw line and my cheeks.

Initially these blades are so sharp that they border on being dangerous for the first few shaves. They seem to "shave in" after 4-5 shaves or so to where they smooth out but keep a very sharp edge for shave after shave.

0 52
 12-02-2013, 03:20 AM
  • Mouser
User Info
(11-28-2013, 04:53 PM)deoxy4 Wrote: Personna 74 DE blades are pretty amazing. They may not be the smoothest blades I have tried but they are incredibly sharp and long lasting. I typically get 2 weeks of shaves from a blade before I bin it.

In the winter I sport a beard and use a Personna 74 injector blade in a Schick G. I get over a month shaving under my neck to the jaw line and my cheeks.

Initially these blades are so sharp that they border on being dangerous for the first few shaves. They seem to "shave in" after 4-5 shaves or so to where they smooth out but keep a very sharp edge for shave after shave.

Indeed. It's a shame but not a wonder that Personna dropped them. Repeat business was a certainty but very, very slow.

6 2,006
 12-10-2013, 10:14 AM
User Info
I found a few on ebay and paid about $4/blade. I've used one consistently for over two weeks and agree these are insanely sharp at first. I shave every day, have a very tough beard w/sensitive skin, and I typically do multiple passses...after 15 shaves this 74 DE (my first) is still very sharp but now even smoother. As far as actual value, I'd say not worth the $$. I bought them out of curiousity to see if the legend was true. And so far, there may be some merit to the claims of longevity. I usually get 5-6 shaves max from most blades.

After two years of getting into this, I've resigned any notion of saving money by switching to DE shaving. I have probably spent a shameful amount on wet shaving supplies (no regrets though!!) Biggrin

7 131
 12-29-2013, 01:38 PM
  • Mouser
User Info
It bears repeating I hit 28, gave up and I am in the process of having the blade encased in Lucite. Every last one of those 28 smoother and closer than shave one, two or three with anything else I have ever used. I have my radar tuned to finding more of those miracles of space age technology.

6 2,006
 12-31-2013, 04:23 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
I've got 20 shaves on a DE 74. I really don't know how mnay more are to be had, but I'd guess at leadt six more.

I found two dozen of them in an antique shop at a VERY nice price. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn occasionally!

47 1,378