11-05-2013, 11:52 AM
User Info
I've been making my own lather with a brush since March of 2009, and exclusively DE shaving for at least two-and-a-half years. Despite that, I have never bought more than 50 blades of any one type....until now. The following is a list of blades that I have tried. Read through them and then take a guess as to which one I settled on. My beard is coarse and I shave every day.

Derby
Feather
Kai
Timor
Bolzano
Treet Durasharp
Treet Classic
SuperMax Titanium
SuperMax Sunrise
SuperMax SuperPlatinum
Personna Med Preps
Personna Reds
Gillette 7 o'clock yellow
Gillette 7 o'clock green
Gillette 7 o'clock black
Gillette Silver Blues
Gillette Bleue
Gillette SuperThins Vietnam
Gillette SuperThins Thailand
Gillette SuperThins Brazil
Polsilver SI
Astra SP
Astra SS
Wilkinson Sword (WalMart version)
Dorco ST301
Lord Platinum
PermaSharp Super
7 a.m.
Bic Chrome Platinum

There may have been a few others that I can't remember right now, but that's a pretty good list.

There are a bunch of blades on the list that I enjoyed; several that I have purchased in packs of 25 or 50 previously. But I never found one I felt comfortable ordering 100 of until about a week ago.

So, any guesses? I'll give a hint: I had 25 of the Kais and 50 of the Feathers in the past. I liked them quite a bit, but not enough to buy a 100-pack.

Give it a shot and see how you do. For each incorrect blade guessed, I'll give my opinion about how the blade worked for me.

1 1,104
 11-05-2013, 12:00 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Polsilver Super Iridiums

115 1,692
 11-05-2013, 12:09 PM
User Info
I hope it's nor the Supermax Super Platinum. It's impossible to find.

Darn, I miss that blade . . .

In any event, I'm going to guess the Personna Med Preps. Definitely a sharp and smooth blade. It and the Astra SP are my personal workhorse, everyday blades.

0 386
 11-05-2013, 12:10 PM
User Info
(11-05-2013, 12:00 PM)Triad Wrote: Polsilver Super Iridiums

Really?

Did the very first guy have to get it right? Angry Sheesh.
Took the fun right out of the thread.Biggrin

But, yeah. You got it right. Best combination of sharp and smooth of all the blades on the list, for me at least.

1 1,104
 11-05-2013, 12:13 PM
User Info
It's got to be Gillette 7 o'clock blacks.

3 452
 11-05-2013, 12:53 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
(11-05-2013, 12:10 PM)kingfisher Wrote:
(11-05-2013, 12:00 PM)Triad Wrote: Polsilver Super Iridiums

Really?

Did the very first guy have to get it right? Angry Sheesh.
Took the fun right out of the thread.Biggrin

But, yeah. You got it right. Best combination of sharp and smooth of all the blades on the list, for me at least.
Biggrinlol they are a nice blade

115 1,692
 11-05-2013, 01:03 PM
User Info
Steve, there were some on the b/s/t not long ago. There might still be some left; I don't know. I do know that I didn't buy them all. I have no idea about prices, but I didn't think they were overpriced for the quality of the blade.

k'f'er, Yup definitely a great blade. Good choice, but a surprising number of blades on your list make my "finest kind" list. I've only bought 3 DE blades in bulk, and all are on your list. The Supermax S'Plat's are one and I got them from the b/s/t just last month. There's good stuff on the b/s/t if one keeps ones eyes open and is patient. Is that where you got yours?

32 6,309
 11-05-2013, 02:16 PM
User Info
(11-05-2013, 01:03 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Steve, there were some on the b/s/t not long ago. There might still be some left; I don't know. I do know that I didn't buy them all. I have no idea about prices, but I didn't think they were overpriced for the quality of the blade.

k'f'er, Yup definitely a great blade. Good choice, but a surprising number of blades on your list make my "finest kind" list. I've only bought 3 DE blades in bulk, and all are on your list. The Supermax S'Plat's are one and I got them from the b/s/t just last month. There's good stuff on the b/s/t if one keeps ones eyes open and is patient. Is that where you got yours?

Thanks, Brian. However, I still have a few in my "emergency" supply. I also don't like becoming too attached to discontinued blades; its depressing.

I definitely need to try the Polsiver Super Iridiums. I'm curious to see if they really are worth three times the price of my Astra SP's and Personna Labs. Maybe I'll add a pack to my next order from Italianbarber . . .

0 386
 11-05-2013, 04:58 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Gillette 7' O Clock Black?

45 3,955
 11-05-2013, 05:07 PM
User Info
Not the 7 o'clock blacks, the Polsilver SIs.

Yes, there are a lot of good blades on my list. One that never really impressed me, though, was the Med Preps. In the bottom half of the list for me.

And yes, Steve, for me they are easily worth three times the price of either the Astra SPs or the Personna Labs. To tell you the truth, I preferred the Astra SS to the Astra SP, but neither one of them is anywhere near as good as the Polsilver SI.

1 1,104
 11-05-2013, 08:31 PM
User Info
(11-05-2013, 02:16 PM)branford Wrote: Thanks, Brian. However, I still have a few in my "emergency" supply. I also don't like becoming too attached to discontinued blades; its depressing.

I definitely need to try the Polsiver Super Iridiums. I'm curious to see if they really are worth three times the price of my Astra SP's and Personna Labs. Maybe I'll add a pack to my next order from Italianbarber . . .

<GULP> 3x the price!? They're a good blade, but not that good. No blade is that good. I like the Personna labs (and med preps) and IMO the Polsilvers are a hair sharper and smoother, but not enough to justify 3x more. I have a few packs of them and I guess I have enough at that price.

32 6,309
 11-05-2013, 09:26 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
Funny, my first big blade purchase under 100 was Kai's...Then I went crazy for LORD Plats and G.Silver Blues, and finally my first purchase of 100 = Super Iridiums...Best All round performer for me, sharp and butter smooth.

4 792
 11-05-2013, 09:45 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
The Polsilvers would have been my second choice. I buy my Personna Med Preps 100 at a time.

173 23,531
 11-06-2013, 01:03 PM
User Info
(11-05-2013, 08:31 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote:
(11-05-2013, 02:16 PM)branford Wrote: Thanks, Brian. However, I still have a few in my "emergency" supply. I also don't like becoming too attached to discontinued blades; its depressing.

<GULP> 3x the price!? They're a good blade, but not that good. No blade is that good. I like the Personna labs (and med preps) and IMO the Polsilvers are a hair sharper and smoother, but not enough to justify 3x more. I have a few packs of them and I guess I have enough at that price.

Um, yeah, but three times 12 cents is only 35 cents! That's what I paid for these blades. I think the price is pretty reasonable.

1 1,104
 11-06-2013, 04:33 PM
User Info
(11-05-2013, 12:09 PM)branford Wrote: I hope it's nor the Supermax Super Platinum. It's impossible to find.

Darn, I miss that blade . . .

In any event, I'm going to guess the Personna Med Preps. Definitely a sharp and smooth blade. It and the Astra SP are my personal workhorse, everyday blades.

Here you go:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111192624350?r...50&afsrc=1

1 89
 11-06-2013, 08:46 PM
User Info
Randall, have you tried the original Super Iridiums. I find them to be slightly better than the Polsiver SIs. You can also get them for a great price from one of the members, here, located in Spain. If you buy a large enough bundle, they come out to 22 cents per blade and, usually, last 5-7 shaves. I would say that is a very good deal for them.

75 20,883
 11-07-2013, 07:35 AM
User Info
(11-06-2013, 08:46 PM)celestino Wrote: Randall, have you tried the original Super Iridiums. I find them to be slightly better than the Polsiver SIs. You can also get them for a great price from one of the members, here, located in Spain. If you buy a large enough bundle, they come out to 22 cents per blade and, usually, last 5-7 shaves. I would say that is a very good deal for them.

I've tried them on two occasions. The first time I only had one blade; it was in a passaround box. I was underwhelmed by it, to be honest.

The second time, I had a 10-pack of them PIF'd to me by a very nice gentleman at B&B. Loved these blades. Moved straight from these to the Polsilvers in the brown striped pack, which he also generously donated to me. I thought these were discontinued Polsilvers, but I guess they are just the plain stainless version. These were also very nice. Then I went straight from those to a 5-pack of Polsilver SIs I bought to try out.

To be honest, it seemed to me that the original Iridium Supers, the Polsilver stainless, and the Polsilver SIs were all pretty equivalent. I didn't know there was any way to obtain the original Iridium Supers, since I thought they were discontinued. Many places don't carry the Polsilver stainless in the brown box. So I just went with the Polsilver SIs.

But all three blade types were in my top 6 or so. I liked them all a great deal.

1 1,104
 11-07-2013, 08:10 PM
User Info
So....This thread caused me to open the 5 pack of the Polsilver SI's that I have had forever...Yup! Think they may have just replaced my previous favorite GSB's.

47 385
 11-08-2013, 09:37 AM
User Info
(11-07-2013, 08:10 PM)CJames Wrote: So....This thread caused me to open the 5 pack of the Polsilver SI's that I have had forever...Yup! Think they may have just replaced my previous favorite GSB's.

Excellent. Happy to be of service.

1 1,104
 11-08-2013, 09:49 AM
User Info
(11-05-2013, 12:09 PM)branford Wrote: I hope it's nor the Supermax Super Platinum. It's impossible to find.

Here's another source at a reasonable price

http://www.amazon.com/Super-max-Super-Pl...B00A5ZE6PA

0 836