11-07-2013, 12:08 PM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
Does anyone own a Cobra with the new script on the bottom? If so, can you give your thoughts on the razor. I only own one with the old script, but other than the looks at the bottom is there any difference in the razor? I'm wondering if the casting that made the razor was different or just the casting that did the script at the bottom?

15 970
 11-07-2013, 12:10 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I believe they just changed the casting at the bottom of the handle i.e. because the old script had worn down so much that it was no longer properly visible on finished razors. The razors are mechanically identical, regardless of old vs. new script, although the finishing is better on the older ones.

102 17,661
 11-07-2013, 12:11 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
[Image: 30dge49.jpg]
old version on left, new version on right

102 17,661
 11-07-2013, 12:18 PM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
Ravi, so I assume you have both the old and new script versions. And I also assume you get just as good of shaves with the new script as the old scriptBiggrin Just asking, because it seems the old script ones are hard to come by even on the BST and I might just have to purchase a new script one upon the next release of them from Classic Shaving.

15 970
 11-07-2013, 12:19 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
They shave the same ... Smile

102 17,661
 11-07-2013, 12:28 PM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
Thanks for the answers Ravi.

15 970
 11-07-2013, 01:35 PM
User Info
Lovely looking pair, Ravi! Biggrin

75 20,883
 11-07-2013, 02:12 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
As Ravi stated, they are the same razor and deliver exactly the same shave. Where they tend to differ slightly is the aesthetics of the finish. The moulds are getting old, hence the base where the script is now in a different font had to be replaced. There is also some slight bubbling apparent on the newer ones. Neither of these purely cosmetic issues in anyway effect how it shaves. CS are aware of the ageing moulds, but are equally assured that quality of shave is not impacted on. However, they are working on the Cobra 2, an updated (not reinvented) version, that is rumoured to address many cosmetic concerns...

91 17,795
 11-07-2013, 06:51 PM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
Ben, I know you had a bad Cobra from a newer script Cobra I believe. I wonder if the cosmetic issues that you mention are more likely to be found in the newer ones? I also saw the post about the Cobra 2, but seeing as how the one I have gives the greatest shave I am always hesitant to try something that differsBiggrin

15 970
 11-14-2013, 02:07 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(11-07-2013, 06:51 PM)tsimmns Wrote: Ben, I know you had a bad Cobra from a newer script Cobra I believe. I wonder if the cosmetic issues that you mention are more likely to be found in the newer ones? I also saw the post about the Cobra 2, but seeing as how the one I have gives the greatest shave I am always hesitant to try something that differsBiggrin

The new script does correlate with some purely cosmetic effects due to ageing moulds, such as bubbling. The old script was disappearing with each new batch of Cobras, so it had to be replaced. The issue I encountered with a recent Cobra purchase was in fact faulty plating, which was most likely an anomaly and nothing to do with a script change or ageing moulds.

The Cobra 2, is likely to address the cosmetic issues that have presented with ageing moulds. I do not see it as a reinvention of the Cobra, rather a fine tuning...

91 17,795