11-07-2013, 05:17 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
While getting ready for my shave the other day, I was standing before my nook choosing where my shave would go. This is my ritual. I try to put together what I feel I would enjoy at that moment. I chose my Mike's Lime. My trusty Semouge 620. Took down the witch hazel and as I was scanning my hardware I glanced my GEM Featherweight. The blade had 6 good BBS shaves on it and as I gazed it I thought of how smooth the little razor shaves. I grabbed it out of my rack where the odd shape of the end of the handle has a tight fit. Instead of taking my time I just pulled it out. The razor tumbled out of my hand and I watched as it fell to the floor. As I went to pick it up I found the poor thing had lost it's head. The plastic handle broke off right where it enters the metal head. Well I shouted a few good expletives. Then said to myself, I said "Self, YOU are a big DUMMY"!!!

I am planning a burial this weekend with a few brushes set aside as mourners. It was such a nice razor. It had a beautiful green case to go along with it. So Sad....

I found a sweet replacement on the Bay but was out bid by some scoundrel at the very last second... CURSES YOU SCOUNDREL... I wish you a nice gash when you receive your razor!!!!I thought that was the one. Luckily Featherweights are a dime a dozen. I will find myself a suitable replacement. When I see her I will know she must be mine....

MORAL OF THE STORY----- I just wanted to tell everyone out there that some of these razors are fragile. They are 50 something years old. I guess the plastic handles may get brittle over time. SO if you have a featherweight you really like BE CAREFUL. You may be hosting a razor funeral of your very own.....

P.S. In lieu of flowers send cash or a nice brush to the Savage featherweight renewal fund....lol.
HAPPY SHAVES !!!

5 1,151
 11-07-2013, 05:32 PM
User Info
Sav, condolences my friend.Smile I'm sure you have platoons of able replacements. If you don't, ebay does!Biggrin

24 1,151
 11-07-2013, 05:42 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Just looked on E bay and say 2 for around $20.00 Buy it Now....shouln,t be too hard to find....Look under GEM SE Razors ..also one of my favorites Vintage Gem Contour $24.99 Buy It Now Look under f-dizzle(1419) GOT-RAD SHAVING...she has great clean stuff...and posts a lot of new stuff almst everyday

6 1,913
 11-07-2013, 06:39 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
(11-07-2013, 05:42 PM)Harvey Wrote: Just looked on E bay and say 2 for around $20.00 Buy it Now....shouln,t be too hard to find....Look under GEM SE Razors ..also one of my favorites Vintage Gem Contour $24.99 Buy It Now Look under f-dizzle(1419) GOT-RAD SHAVING...she has great clean stuff...and posts a lot of new stuff almst everyday

Thanks Harv. I've been scouting. Like I said. I'll know her when I see her...lol I saw a couple of Contours still unopened in the bubble pack yesterday...

5 1,151
 11-07-2013, 06:50 PM
User Info
I like your thread title, Sav. It sounds like a boxing biography.

184 12,003
 11-07-2013, 06:55 PM
User Info
Sorry to hear, Sav.

47 1,270
 11-07-2013, 07:12 PM
User Info
My condolences and good luck!

75 20,883
 11-07-2013, 07:15 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Sorry for your loss, Sav.

102 17,670
 11-07-2013, 08:31 PM
User Info
That's terrible SJR!

But another is easily found.

FWIW, I have yet to decide on a holder for mine. It's been leaning up, on it's head, and on a piece of tissue, against the rear of the cabinet for 2 years. So I suppose I decided on a "holder" after all. I'd be really depressed if I broke it. That particular razor was the razor most responsible for my successful return to blade shaving. But it looks like any other white handled FW.

32 6,309
 12-02-2013, 01:59 PM
  • Exapno
  • Northampton, England
User Info
Just a thought but if the head is still in working condition why not get a replacement handle (made from wood for instance) made for it. In fact, if the head was in poor condition you could get it re-plated. A rhodium featherweight with a handle to the same shape and size as the original but in a glorious deeply grained, oiled wood...

0 132