11-08-2013, 05:51 AM
User Info
Does anyone have any familiarity with horse hair brushes? If so what are the pros and cons regarding these and what do you like about them compared to badger, synthetic, or boar?
Thanks

0 763
 11-08-2013, 06:56 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I'll be interested in the replies to this thread, as I've been contemplating buying a horse hair brush too. All I've learned so far is that a 50/50 mane/tail knot is softer and has less backbone than a 35/65 mane/tail knot.

5 761
 11-08-2013, 07:05 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I really like the natural brown horsehair brushes and find them to be great for hard soaps. They have excellent backbone and a touch of scritch (similar to best badger in that regard). They retain heat much better than boar although not as well as badger.

The brushes lather differently than badger and there is a slight learning curve. I have a few natural brown horse hair brushes that keep in rotation with my badger brushes...they are great.

The dyed horse hair brushes on the other hand tend to be a bit floppy and have a tendency to develop "holes" in the knot if your face lather. The hole in the center of the knot is actually a result of the hair getting snarled.

45 16,359
 11-08-2013, 08:06 AM
  • RedRocks
  • Four-Corners, USA
User Info
I have one of these in butterscotch and it is in my top three along with a Badger Finest (also in butterscotch) and my best friend since college (40 years) EverReady 150 boar.

The horsehair & badger seem to be equal in the amount of lather they can hold (lots!!!), with the horsehair scritchier than the badger.

~Frank

18 271
 11-08-2013, 09:06 AM
User Info
I love my Vie Long 13051M pure horse - but it's not a brush for the tender skinned... Plenty of backbone, picks up soap like a champ, lathers great on the face and in a bowl.

For your very first venture into horse, you might want to do as I did and get a mixed horse-badger... I have a Vie Long 14033 and I'm very happy with that one as well.

3 3,580
 11-08-2013, 09:33 AM
User Info
I recently acqyuired one on the b/s/t because I've been curious about horse brushes for quite some time and it was time to take care of that.

The one I bought is a 50/50 mix and has a bit of scritch to it. Not enough scritch to be a deal breaker but I wouldn't want to use it if I had a sunburn. I think it would demolish a puck of soap. I had no problem with backbone with it. The backbone was somewhat less than a boar, but more than a badger or recent synthetic.

I didn't notice a difference in lathering, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. I just built my lather as I normally would and adjusted what needed to be done as I progressed.

I'm still undecided on whether I like it or not, but I have plenty of time do decide. It's not going anywhere for now.

Advantages/disadvantages? Less expense compared to the same size badger or synthetic, but more expensive than boar. This doesn't mean anything to me, but some folks might like the fact that the animal isn't killed to get the fiber. It's collected in the normal course of horse grooming.

I do have one question for the folks who know more about horse brushes than I do. Will this brush break in similar to a boar and get softer? That is, will it have less scritch in time?

Thanks gents.

32 6,311
 11-08-2013, 09:41 AM
  • P Funk
  • I can only carry 50 chickens at a time
  • Bay Area, NorCal
User Info
As Phil mentioned there is a bit of a learning curve is you are primarily used to badger.
They do have a slightly different face feel as well.

They are so reasonably priced, I would suggest that you purchase one that has good reviews and give it a shot yourself.

Be prepared - if you think a brand new badger brush stinks...that ain't nothing compared to a brand new horse...it will temporarily stink up your entire bathroom something awful. It smells exactly as you would expect - wet horse/dog/animal and in my experience it is a very strong smell. Nothing that doesn't completely go away in short order and nothing to worry about. It was just the first thing I noticed when I used a horse for the first time.

19 591
 11-08-2013, 10:20 AM
User Info
I could never use them as they have the most scritch from any brush I have used. I just found them to be too uncomfortable for my sensitive skin.
They are fantastic brushes, especially, if you are a vegan.
You will have to try them to really understand them and it would be a good experience to see how they compare to your other brushes. Biggrin

75 20,883
 11-08-2013, 04:13 PM
User Info
I agree with celestino - I think they are too uncomfortable. Even the horse-badger mix is very rough on my skin.

12 1,243
 11-09-2013, 10:02 AM
User Info
(11-08-2013, 06:56 AM)Rufus Wrote: All I've learned so far is that a 50/50 mane/tail knot is softer and has less backbone than a 35/65 mane/tail knot.

Isn't the opposite ?

0 353