11-08-2013, 06:02 PM
User Info
So I have a Thater (which I adore) which has some very nice gel tips, and I was hoping to add a second gel-tipped brush to my rotation. I find my skin becomes significantly less irritated when using the Thater day-in, day-out over other brush types like silvertip or boar. I would very much like to get something a little smaller and more compact than my 25mm thater fan which just splays enormous on my face. There is, of course, always the option of getting a second, smaller Thater, but I like adventure!

I know that older Rooney Heritages have gel tips, I have heard that older TGN Finest had them, but what are some current production brands that do? I have, for example, heard some conflicting things about WSP 2-band and the "gel tip" status.

Thanks any and all!

14 229
 11-08-2013, 06:18 PM
User Info
Your best options are probably a custom order from Lee Sabini for an M&F as he can accommodate your size of knot and loft, or go for one of the Rooney Heritage Stubby 1XL which is a fantastic brush as it is denser than your Thater and has hardly any splay although it has a very small handle which you may not enjoy.
However, they may be hard to come by, so you may have to resort to a direct order with Lee Sabini.

The WSP Superfine 2-band knots don't have the 'gel-like' tips from the many I have tried. They are extremely soft, but I would not characterize them as 'gel-like'. Having said this, they are superb knots.

Some of the TGN Finest are supposedly extremely soft and I have used two of the older Finest hair that was indeed extremely soft and a bit similar to a 'gel-like' feel, but I don't think they are all consistently the same.

I have heard some of the Wilborg 2-band brushes may have the 'gel-like' feel to their knots, but I have yet to try one.

Best of luck to you.

75 20,883
 11-08-2013, 06:22 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I do believe new Rooney Heritage 2-band brushes have very soft tips .., in a sense, gel-like, although they are said by some to not be as soft as older production batches.

102 17,671
 11-08-2013, 06:25 PM
User Info
(11-08-2013, 06:18 PM)celestino Wrote: Your best options are probably a custom order from Lee Sabini for an M&F as he can accommodate your size of knot and loft, or go for one of the Rooney Heritage Stubby 1XL which is a fantastic brush as it is denser than your Thater and has hardly any splay although it has a very small handle which you may not enjoy.
However, they may be hard to come by, so you may have to resort to a direct order with Lee Sabini.

The WSP Superfine 2-band knots don't have the 'gel-like' tips from the many I have tried. They are extremely soft, but I would not characterize them as 'gel-like'. Having said this, they are superb knots.

Some of the TGN Finest are supposedly extremely soft and I have used two of the older Finest hair that was indeed extremely soft and a bit similar to a 'gel-like' feel, but I don't think they are all consistently the same.

I have heard some of the Wilborg 2-band brushes may have the 'gel-like' feel to their knots, but I have yet to try one.

Best of luck to you.

I really do want to get a M & F at some point, I wasn't aware Lee was still using the gel tipped 2-band for current models, though. That actually makes me much more eager to check one out. I know his contact info is known by a few, if you have it would you mind sending me a PM so I can scope out options and such?

Thanks much!

14 229
 11-08-2013, 06:32 PM
User Info
I apologize, but you should ask Ravi for it as I don't have Lee Sabini's contact information.

75 20,883
 11-08-2013, 06:36 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
To clarify: not all M&F 2-bands are alike ... the majority are labeled Blonde Badger and this group's knots range from scrubby with a slight scritch to soft with gel tip characteristics. There are also a few, limited production, M&F 2-bands that are labeled 'Finest' ... these have a better grade or lot of hairs with further refinement of all the features these brushes are best known for.
Bottom line is one should specify what they're looking for if custom ordering ... or buy a Rooney Heritage from one of the vendors.

102 17,671
 11-08-2013, 06:56 PM
User Info
Vintage Blades' house brand of finest brushes are ridiculous. When I stopped by Patrick's (sunflake) place and played with his VB finest brush, it was quickly put on my 'to buy' list. Price is definitely right, and there's no doubt about the tips feeling soapy and super soft even with minimal water.

http://shavenook.com/thread-vintage-blad...and-finest

6 229
 11-08-2013, 07:00 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(11-08-2013, 06:56 PM)tailoredfamcam Wrote: Vintage Blades' house brand of finest brushes are ridiculous. When I stopped by Patrick's (sunflake) place and played with his VB finest brush, it was quickly put on my 'to buy' list. Price is definitely right, and there's no doubt about the tips feeling soapy and super soft even with minimal water.

I came to write that too.Also some Frank Shaving have the gel alike soft tips.

86 7,124
 11-08-2013, 07:03 PM
User Info
(11-08-2013, 07:00 PM)Teiste Wrote: I came to write that too.Also some Frank Shaving have the gel alike soft tips.

After writing my post, I noticed your review. If they're from the same manufacturer, I think I'll have to get one with a larger knot.

6 229
 11-08-2013, 07:13 PM
User Info
(11-08-2013, 06:56 PM)tailoredfamcam Wrote: Vintage Blades' house brand of finest brushes are ridiculous. When I stopped by Patrick's (sunflake) place and played with his VB finest brush, it was quickly put on my 'to buy' list. Price is definitely right, and there's no doubt about the tips feeling soapy and super soft even with minimal water.

http://shavenook.com/thread-vintage-blad...and-finest

Definitely another brand to try! I forgot about them, I should check that out, the price is insane if what I've read is true.

14 229
 11-08-2013, 10:31 PM
User Info
For the price DO NOT forget about the VB 2-band! Cameron aka Tailoredfamcam was fun to watch his reaction when he was trying the 24mm Vintage Blade brush I have, they are no joke and freakishly good and for the price you simply can't go wrong with it. If anyone is in the market do yourself a favor and just pick the size knot you want and order one! The come in 20,22 and 24mm loft is from 50mm to 55mm, and you're looking at $29.99 for the 20mm and $37.49 for the 24mm.

This is the only 2-band badger I have ever tried and got mine when they were brand new and for about $27.99 for the 24mm IIRC. I have read reviews on these from the get go here at at B&B. For everyone who said that it wasn't for them (they liked a little more scritch in their brushes) there must have been 20 or so who were giddy wondering how a brush that is so soundly made with bristles that have hooked ends and feel like gel when wet could be sold at such a wonderfully affordable price. They can be found here for anyone who is interested.
http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/xc...hp?cat=240

Cameron you'll have to let me know when you get one!!!

2 805
 11-09-2013, 06:00 AM
User Info
"Gel" tips are not necessarily attributed to the hair used itself but if/how the hair was treated while processing it. Often the "gel" feel comes with curled tips indicating that the hair was (over-)bleached.
An inexpensive option is indeed the VB brush (Chinese manufacturer) as stated above.

31 1,554
 11-09-2013, 07:12 AM
User Info
(11-09-2013, 06:00 AM)German Wrote: "Gel" tips are not necessarily attributed to the hair used itself but if/how the hair was treated while processing it. Often the "gel" feel comes with curled tips indicating that the hair was (over-)bleached.
An inexpensive option is indeed the VB brush (Chinese manufacturer) as stated above.

Yeah, I remember Lee (of WSP) talking about how there is a particular treatment process which results in those gel tips, and that it is by no means a naturally-occurring thing with 2-band hair.

14 229
 11-09-2013, 12:35 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Not all of the Frank's finest have the gel feeling, but I have yet to buy a Frank's finest knot that disappointed. My favorite is the 26mm fan that I installed in a Bullgoose vie-long handle, it does have the gel-like softness and a great density along with a scrubby backbone.

[Image: XOsa77n.jpg]
[Image: dUxDF5p.jpg]

127 2,393
 11-09-2013, 03:46 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(11-09-2013, 06:00 AM)German Wrote: "Gel" tips are not necessarily attributed to the hair used itself but if/how the hair was treated while processing it. Often the "gel" feel comes with curled tips indicating that the hair was (over-)bleached.

Very true indeed.Also silvertip or super badger could be bleaches.The silvertip grade A that I did install today on a Wiborg Shaving handle has the curled tips and the gel alike feeling too.

86 7,124
 11-09-2013, 08:58 PM
User Info
What exactly are gel tips?

12 715
 11-10-2013, 05:52 AM
User Info
The subjective feel of "gel" or "satin" like feeling to the skin…
(11-09-2013, 08:58 PM)bmilcs Wrote: What exactly are gel tips?

Gel tips…

Rooney Alibaba 2 Band

[Image: IqriuPp.jpg]

[Image: 49K4lY4.jpg]

31 1,554
 11-24-2013, 07:04 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I had a brush with hooked tips when dry and that gel-like feel in use. After about a year of regular use, it seemed to lose that gel-like feel, and I wonder if the hooked tips are fragile and will break off with use.

43 1,690
 11-24-2013, 07:22 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
Andrew, I have yet to have that happen to any of mine. I must admit there is no brush I would consider to be getting regular use as I am continually rotating through my two band brushes, four of which are gel tipped silky knots of love.

135 1,947
 11-24-2013, 07:51 PM
  • P Funk
  • I can only carry 50 chickens at a time
  • Bay Area, NorCal
User Info
Fwiw
My recent order of 2 M&F brushes have the 'gel' tips.
They are fairly easy to identify.
One definite way I've found (if not sure how to tell by face feel) is while rinsing the brush.
Gently squeeze the hair together just below the tips. Look and feel the tips. They will look like they almost still have soap on them. Feel them while they are are still wet - run a finger across the tips. Gel is an an appropriate description of how they feel.

I have several other M&Fs and the gel tips are not standard fare.
I didn't specifically ask for them. It was quite the nice surprise.
I promptly ordered another and Lee assured me the same hair will be used for my new order.

19 591