11-08-2013, 08:20 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Gentlemen :

what are your experience softening the different types of badger hair.

I have been using the Semogue finest badger with horn handle for a week , and the hair have softened : the tips are now soft (not ultra soft like the selected silvetip) and have lost a little bit of its backbone , but improving the flow. Thats something normal , that I have experienced it with many types of two band brushes.

But what about some types of pure badger (like black badger hair) , or some types of best badger ? Have you experienced that those kind of hair get soften with use (and time) , or any kind of badger hair ?

I admit that I don't have the patience to use a brush on regular basis for over a week.However I think I could be missing the "magic" of experiencing a badger hair change with time , and I suspect that I could experience that with some of my current brushes or even with some that I sold in the past.

Please , let us know your experiences.

86 7,123
 11-08-2013, 09:06 PM
User Info
Teiste, I have only experienced my WSP Stubby 2-bands and I have noticed just the slightest change in the hair becoming softer than when I first started using them.
I have no other experience with Pure, Black or any other Silvertip hair. I would love to try that Semogue brush you are using, right now! Smile

75 20,883
 11-08-2013, 11:14 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I have noticed that knots relax or loosen after use (versus new) and this gives the feeling of softer tips and better flow through. However, I have never had a brush that I found too scritchy when new, be it horse or badger (boars can loose some scritch as the tips split), ever lose that characteristic. I had to sell my Simpson B4 pure, SOC 2-band and SOC mixed for this very reason. Although they did seem softer after using them, the scritch always remained.

127 2,390
 11-09-2013, 02:23 AM
User Info
In m experience I find that the knot relaxes somewhat which can make it feel a bit softer.

With regards to the tips changing, not so much if anything at all.

7 1,179
 11-09-2013, 04:00 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
It has been my experience that the sensation derived from the tips of badger regardless of hair grade remain relatively constant and do not split and soften as with boar. However, the integrity of the badger knot does relax with use, resulting in a less compact or highly structured presentation to the face. This does not impact on the softness or scratch of the tips in question, but only the backbone or rigidity with which they are presented to the face.

I had an Acca Kappa brush, wood handle and Pure badger. It was a pretty brush, but the tips were nasty scratchy things. The overall feel of the brush was stiff and full of backbone. With use the brush had a softer overall feel, but the scitch from the tips remained. I found I did enjoy using the brush with further use, but I believe the tips didn't change I simply became more accustomed to them, with the assistance of the knot becoming more yielding with continued use.

91 17,855
 11-09-2013, 07:50 AM
User Info
I find it does not soften at all.

15 762
 11-09-2013, 09:49 AM
User Info
They soften but not in the same manner
I have a Finest badger from TGN that's stand after two years almost as it was new
Of course not frequent use but it' still "keeps the flag high" among others.

0 353
 11-10-2013, 06:34 AM
User Info
I have too say all my brushes have changed from the initial cleaning to the first a subsequent shaves since then. Either going from firm-to-scritchy and from flow through - to - softness.

This is what I enjoy the most. It's constantly changing but in a nice way and enjoy them, and their characteristics in whatever form they may take.

Charles U.K

0 2,339
 11-10-2013, 06:51 AM
User Info
Knot will relax/open allowing for better flow…
Tips won't soften…
Unless you use sandpaper … but that maybe fatal… Biggrin

31 1,554
 11-10-2013, 08:15 PM
User Info
(11-08-2013, 09:06 PM)celestino Wrote: Teiste, I have only experienced my WSP Stubby 2-bands and I have noticed just the slightest change in the hair becoming softer than when I first started using them.
I have no other experience with Pure, Black or any other Silvertip hair. I would love to try that Semogue brush you are using, right now! Smile

I have also noticed that my Stubby 2-band is noticeably softer than when I bought it. It was great when I bought it and simply decadent now!

47 385
 11-11-2013, 08:42 AM
User Info
I have not noticed the tips of my badgers softening but the backbones are a bit more flexible and the hairs tend to splay a bit more. I believe both of these changes contribute to an overall "softer" feel of my badger brushes...although not enough to mistake my finest knot for a silvertip one

0 10
 11-11-2013, 09:56 AM
User Info
(11-08-2013, 08:20 PM)Teiste Wrote: Gentlemen :

I have been using the Semogue finest badger with horn handle for a week , and the hair have softened : the tips are now soft (not ultra soft like the selected silvetip) and have lost a little bit of its backbone , but improving the flow. Thats something normal , that I have experienced it with many types of two band brushes.
[...]

I've been experiencing the same with my new Semogue Barbear Clássico Finest 2-band also Wink

[Image: P1070875.jpg]

2 5,532
 11-11-2013, 11:35 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(11-11-2013, 09:56 AM)oversaturn Wrote:
(11-08-2013, 08:20 PM)Teiste Wrote: Gentlemen :

[...]

I've been experiencing the same with my new Semogue Barbear Clássico Finest 2-band also Wink

[Image: P1070875.jpg]

What a great picture ! Please , put this one on the Semogue club in Facebook !

86 7,123
 11-14-2013, 01:49 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(11-10-2013, 06:51 AM)German Wrote: Knot will relax/open allowing for better flow…
Tips won't soften…
Unless you use sandpaper … but that maybe fatal… Biggrin

Have you ever tried to use sandpaper to soften the tips of a brush , German ?

86 7,123
 11-14-2013, 01:52 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
My understanding is that certain 'procedures' should not be attempted by end-users ...

... sandpaper to the brush, whatever that may entail

... home bleaching of the tips

... boiling

etc... Biggrin

102 17,670