11-09-2013, 09:17 AM
User Info
MdC: An analytical approach

[Image: nqXNnV2.jpg]

This has to be one of the most written about, bragged about (in some cases gagged about for those who hate the scent), and most expensive soaps offered to today's modern wet shaver. I would be doing you a disservice to try to one up the fabulous descriptions other linguistic maestros have shared before. Plainly put, I would be content if this were the only soap available for the rest of my shaving days.

What I'd like to do is take a more analytical approach to answer some of the questions I had when my finger hovered over the "Add to Cart" button and yet again when I clicked "Submit".

Weight: 170g (not the newer 200g)
Cost per jar: $43.27 USD
Shaves per jar: 360 for me
Cost per shave: $0.12 USD
Grams per shave: 0.47g
Lather style: Face (on rare occasions I bowl lather but 95%+ were face)
Brush knot size: 24mm & 27mm. The 24mm was an M&F with great flow through. Just an amazing brush that deserves its own review. The 27mm was a Chubby 2 Best that needs no introduction
Hot or cold water: Hot
Passes: 3 always
Razor: iKon open comb
Blade: Iridium
Lather style: Thick but a bit more watery than some of the glamor shots posted regularly. It's not so wimpy that water is running down the handle.
Beard style: Heavy. I am required by law to wear a respirator at work. Unlike some guys who can get a seal after a week of no shaving the stubble on my face interferes with the seal if I don't shave every day.

[Image: QU1TnDC.jpg]

[I used to get about 40 shaves from a $4 can of shave gel which works out to around $0.10 USD per shave.]

I tracked each shave on a coffee stained calendar by my desk. It started on Cinco de Mayo 2012 and ended on Halloween 2013. While I don't shave every day (I take a break on weekends and some holidays), I did make an effort to travel with my glass jar when necessary so that I didn't break the streak.

A happy consequence from this experiment is it made my self imposed shave sabbatical much easier. With the tunnel vision of using one soap, one blade style, one razor brand, and two brushes I really didn't have the desire to branch out.

Overall MdC provides a thick, stable lather that is comfortable for three full passes without even revisiting the jar. It's not a thirsty soap like MWF and the like. After about ten full swipes the lather begins to peak beyond the bristles. After 20 or 30 seconds I've got a well developed lather that is automatic, unfaltering, slick, and protective. Sometimes with other soaps I'll have some days where it doesn't click...I don't understand the bad voodoo at the core of those days but it's frustrating. MdC is a franchise player that always delivers.

For those who've discussed this journey with me they often ask, "are you sick of MdC or do you think you'll order more?" I've kind of already made up my mind. Wink

Feel free to ask any other questions I did not cover here.

[Image: PZB33KW.jpg]

0 221
 11-09-2013, 09:29 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Nice, detailed and meticulous summary of your experiences with MdC, Ty! It's a rare and strange experience to see pictures of an empty MdC jar ... I believe Brain (SharpSpine) posted one also recently.

It looks like you've now accumulated enough MdC to last you 13 years or so.

102 17,671
 11-09-2013, 09:36 AM
User Info
(11-09-2013, 09:29 AM)Agravic Wrote: Nice, detailed and meticulous summary of your experiences with MdC, Ty! It's a rare and strange experience to see pictures of an empty MdC jar ... I believe Brain (SharpSpine) posted one also recently.

It looks like you've now accumulated enough MdC to last you 13 years or so.

Thanks! I also hoarded some AoS Sandalwood before the reformulation and several flavors of D.R. Harris. I think it's safe to say I can shave with "favorites" for the rest of my life even if I live to be 200. Anything else is just for fun!

0 221
 11-09-2013, 09:55 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I am no math geek, but I think Ravi is a little off. There is enough soap to last you tresixven years! Biggrin

88 4,233
 11-09-2013, 09:56 AM
User Info
Thank you for a very informative post. I've always wondered how long a jar would last, my estimate, based on a month of using and weighing it, is about 300 shave. I should probably load a little less and still get the same result. I'm only halfway through a jar, but did finish one from a glass container that I bought before the jar.

15 383
 11-09-2013, 10:05 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(11-09-2013, 09:55 AM)beartrap Wrote: I am no math geek, but I think Ravi is a little off. There is enough soap to last you tresixven years! Biggrin

Biggrin

Math intricacies aside ... he's got a 'crap-load' of MdC. Biggrin

102 17,671
 11-09-2013, 11:16 AM
User Info
Fantastic review and I see that you really enjoy the soap! Biggrin

75 20,883
 11-09-2013, 01:37 PM
User Info
I, too, recently finished a pot (170g) of MdC and my figures are a good bit different. I suspect you have softer water than I as well as it seems you prefer a different consistency to your lather than I do. That said here is my data...

Weight: 170g; more likely really had the full 200g
Cost: approx. $60 USD as I bought this one solo
Shaves per jar: 136
Cost per shave: $0.44
Grams per shave: 1.25; more likely 1.5 as I think these still have 200g of soap and are just the old labels with 170g listed.
Lather style: face lather exclusively; UltraLather
Brush knot size: 24-26mm badgers; 21mm synthetic
Cold water only
Passes: 2 1/2
Beard style: Coarse & thick. So much so that I can't use DE blades as they flex against my stubble.

I tracked my shaves using the Evernote app on my iPhone. First use was on January 4, 2013 and last shave was today. My monthly use breakdown is as follows...
Jan: 20
Feb: 17
March: 21
April: 14
May: 10
June: 7
July: 14
Aug: 19
Sept: 6
Oct: 2
Nov: 2

While I don't have 13 post if MdC awaiting me I do have a completely unopened Signature pot and a Fougère pot with < 30 uses on it. So I think I'm good for a bit.

31 7,914
 11-09-2013, 02:51 PM
User Info
Thanks for weighing in. It's one of the times where "your mileage may vary" isn't said to explain unmeasured quantities. Our mileage actually did vary!

I'd really like to try the Fougère some day.

0 221
 11-09-2013, 03:15 PM
User Info
(11-09-2013, 02:51 PM)TYdeFan05 Wrote: Thanks for weighing in. It's one of the times where "your mileage may vary" isn't said to explain unmeasured quantities. Our mileage actually did vary!

* Wow, sir! 13 jars and not one of the Fougere?! Biggrin

75 20,883
 11-09-2013, 03:17 PM
User Info
(11-09-2013, 03:15 PM)celestino Wrote:
(11-09-2013, 02:51 PM)TYdeFan05 Wrote: Thanks for weighing in. It's one of the times where "your mileage may vary" isn't said to explain unmeasured quantities. Our mileage actually did vary!

* Wow, sir! 13 jars and not one of the Fougere?! Biggrin
I have the handsoap and I really like the smell but the shaving soap didn't exist when I placed my small order Blush

0 221
 11-09-2013, 04:11 PM
User Info
(11-09-2013, 03:17 PM)TYdeFan05 Wrote: I have the handsoap and I really like the smell but the shaving soap didn't exist when I placed my small order Blush

* Ahh, that explains things! Are you going to order some as it seems like you really like the soap? Biggrin

75 20,883
 11-09-2013, 04:35 PM
User Info
Highly likely

0 221
 11-09-2013, 06:25 PM
  • JayPo007
  • Still making fire
  • Pottstown, PA- USA
User Info
Variety may be the spice of life, but I could use MdC exclusively for the rest of my days. I haven't put a dent in mine yet and I've been using it since receiving it on Father's Day. I can't put my finger on what makes it such a home run compared to other soaps. Sounds like you won't run out any time soonSmile
Thanks for sharing.

1 129
 11-09-2013, 09:10 PM
User Info
It's that good huh? Wow.

Bryan
ATT Kronos / Titan R1 Fanatic Smile

12 715
 11-09-2013, 09:12 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(11-09-2013, 09:10 PM)bmilcs Wrote: It's that good huh? Wow.

Bryan, although I've not tried MdC myself ... yet ... those who like it seem to be rather fanatical about the soap!

102 17,671
 11-09-2013, 09:13 PM
User Info
(11-09-2013, 09:12 PM)Agravic Wrote:
(11-09-2013, 09:10 PM)bmilcs Wrote: It's that good huh? Wow.

Bryan, although I've not tried MdC myself ... yet ... those who like it seem to be rather fanatical about the soap!

I know right? Almost bought some off another forum. I'll keep my eyes peeled Smile

Bryan
ATT Kronos / Titan R1 Fanatic Smile

12 715
 11-09-2013, 09:26 PM
User Info
Yes, it's that good. At least for some of us. Other detest it because of the scent. I wasn't crazy about the scent when mine was new, but that will never happen again (being new).

I find that I like the original scent much better after it's had at least a year to age, 2 years is even better. Even the Fougere is better after a year IMO. At least as far as the scent goes. For me the key is to buy it now for much later. Now I think of it much like a fine wine. The scentless is anything but, and it's great without any aging at all; at least for me. It's level of scent is fine on the day it's received.

BTW, Good write ups TDF05 and Brian. Thanks!

32 6,311
 11-09-2013, 09:29 PM
User Info
(11-09-2013, 09:26 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Yes, it's that good. At least for some of us. Other detest it because of the scent. I wasn't crazy about the scent when mine was new, but that will never happen again (being new).

I find that I like the original scent much better after it's had at least a year to age, 2 years is even better. Even the Fougere is better after a year IMO. At least as far as the scent goes. For me the key is to buy it now for much later. Now I think of it much like a fine wine. The scentless is anything but, and it's great without any aging at all; at least for me. It's level of scent is fine on the day it's received.

BTW, Good write ups TDF05 and Brian. Thanks!

I am a huge fan of PdP and Cade recently. I just received la toja and I'm going to give them a spin. Is MdC really far superior? Are you suuuure it's not the price tag talkin? I still think after trying 20 or so soaps that tabac is king Smile

Bryan
Head shaver

12 715
 11-09-2013, 09:35 PM
User Info
Bryan, whatever works for you, stick with it. However, there are many great artisan soaps that are incredibly good and MdC is one of them, even though I don't care for the scent. It is a very good soap and you should try it at least once to find out, I think.

75 20,883