04-22-2012, 11:53 PM
  • leo
  • Two Rivers WI
User Info
What is the difference between all the different soaps?
I see you all talk about tallow,kokum butter and so on.
Are there different properties or feel to them?

0 126
 04-23-2012, 01:35 AM
User Info
(04-22-2012, 11:53 PM)leo Wrote: Are there different properties or feel to them?

Yes. Differences in scent also.

0 112
 04-23-2012, 02:07 AM
User Info
(04-22-2012, 11:53 PM)leo Wrote: What is the difference between all the different soaps?
I see you all talk about tallow,kokum butter and so on.
Are there different properties or feel to them?

Do you like cookies? Choc. chip? Raisin? Oatmeal? Sugar? That's how it is with soaps.

9 1,199
 04-23-2012, 02:08 AM
User Info
There are a lot of different soaps, shea butter based, tallow, etc, and its all individual trial and error. You will have to give them a try to see what you like.

1 69
 04-23-2012, 06:24 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Maybe we could ask an artisan maker, like Irena, to explain us the differences between "melt and pour","triple milled","veggie and tallow based" shaving soaps.That would help us to identify the soaps better.

86 7,123
 04-23-2012, 06:31 AM
User Info
(04-23-2012, 02:08 AM)Russianrat Wrote: There are a lot of different soaps, shea butter based, tallow, etc, and its all individual trial and error. You will have to give them a try to see what you like.

Agree. Personal preferences really come down to a lot of the opinions you see thrown around.

0 189
 04-23-2012, 06:40 AM
User Info
As you use more products you may start to identify certain ingredients give you more performance/satisfaction than others. For me I've started to enjoy some of the lanolin products, as my face just feels silky smooth after using them. Some of the Shea soaps have also provided a similar post shave face feel.

However, my face isn't your face and you may have a totally different reaction to the same products. That's part of the fun of this 'hobby'.

0 252
 04-23-2012, 11:14 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Leo, what soaps or creams are you using now? Maybe we could tell you what type they are and any advantages or disadvantages.

It's all personal preference but would be glad to recommend a few if you want.

173 23,538
 04-23-2012, 11:28 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Not to add to the confusion, but...just like there are some "not so good" cookies, there are some not so good soaps!

47 1,378
 04-23-2012, 10:18 PM
  • leo
  • Two Rivers WI
User Info
(04-23-2012, 11:14 AM)Johnny Wrote: Leo, what soaps or creams are you using now? Maybe we could tell you what type they are and any advantages or disadvantages.

It's all personal preference but would be glad to recommend a few if you want.

Not much to pick from in the stores here and right now I'm using Van Der Hagen the only other soaps I seen was Colonel Ichabod Conk
Thinking I might try ordering some online. I'm getting a sample from Soapbuddy.

0 126
 04-23-2012, 10:28 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
The different ingredients all have different functions and properties. Shea butter is a moisturizer. Lanolin can act as a moisturizer and also as a bit of protection. The different soap bases all act a little different from each other, and some people have particular favorites. This is where tallow based, coconut based, palm based, etc come in.

Glycerin is a byproduct of soap making, and some soaps (like your VDH) add extra as a moisturizer and lubricant.

Really the best thing you can do is ask about particular soaps that seem interesting, and also do your research is to what the ingredients are for.

10 1,858
 04-23-2012, 10:46 PM
  • leo
  • Two Rivers WI
User Info
(04-23-2012, 10:28 PM)Songwind Wrote: The different ingredients all have different functions and properties. Shea butter is a moisturizer. Lanolin can act as a moisturizer and also as a bit of protection. The different soap bases all act a little different from each other, and some people have particular favorites. This is where tallow based, coconut based, palm based, etc come in.

Glycerin is a byproduct of soap making, and some soaps (like your VDH) add extra as a moisturizer and lubricant.

Really the best thing you can do is ask about particular soaps that seem interesting, and also do your research is to what the ingredients are for.
I guess this was the information I was after. What the different ingredients are suppose to do.
Maybe some day I will be able to write down a whole thought. :shot: ....I'm not gonna get my hopes up though.

0 126
 04-24-2012, 04:14 AM
User Info
Here's a helpful related article I read on Mantic59's sharpologist.com regarding the anatomy of a shaving cream:

http://sharpologist.com/2012/03/anatomy-...cream.html

47 1,270
 04-24-2012, 09:01 AM
User Info
(04-23-2012, 10:46 PM)leo Wrote:
(04-23-2012, 10:28 PM)Songwind Wrote: The different ingredients all have different functions and properties. Shea butter is a moisturizer. Lanolin can act as a moisturizer and also as a bit of protection. The different soap bases all act a little different from each other, and some people have particular favorites. This is where tallow based, coconut based, palm based, etc come in.

I guess this was the information I was after. What the different ingredients are suppose to do.
Maybe some day I will be able to write down a whole thought. :shot: ....I'm not gonna get my hopes up though.

+1. It is very useful information. Thanks for sharing.

0 41
 04-28-2012, 08:33 PM
User Info
No, I can't explain it. However, by trial and error I've come to prefer the tallow based shaving soaps. Finding out what you prefer is what makes wet shaving so interesting!

0 1,377