08-23-2016, 03:35 AM
User Info
LPL is expanding its horizons in a great way with nw formula and great scent.  Smelled he Havanne   great

1 53
 08-23-2016, 05:13 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
A tallow LPL with stronger scent and wider container could be a game changer.  I've got mine ordered.

174 1,602
 08-23-2016, 04:22 PM
User Info
Review of the LPL Havane
The scent, love it! Not because it is necessarily better than any of Cyril's other scents, but because it is different than the others. I get primarily leather and tobacco leaf. I'm sure others who have a more keen or developed sense of smell would detect other things as well. Scent strength is on par with the other LPL soaps. If I was going to change something about Cyril's soaps I would increase the scent strength.

The scent is different enough that I actually have nothing in terms of post shave (splash, balm, etc) that I can pair with it. I simply haven't bought or used anything quite like this. That said, I like the scent enough that I wish Cyril has produce a matching post shave product. I would definitely buy some.

Like all LPL soaps I've owned up to now, it lathers easily. Very easily. I've never been a good judge of cushion. Slickness on the other hand... That is why I like and buy LPL soaps. They are the slickest I have used, and I never have any irritation after 3 passes. 

As I said in an earlier post, as far as I know this can only be purchased from artdubarbier.com. The price is reasonable, but the shipping to the US is outrageous. If you plan to order this add a few more items to your cart to offset the shipping cost per item. The shipping is very quick. Ordered on a weekend, shipped on a Monday, arrive the following Monday. So, one week. I also believe this only comes packaged in 100g plastic containers.

Enjoy

2 344
 08-31-2016, 05:17 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I received a shipment from LPL yesterday which contained the new tallow formula along with Cologne Fougere in the original formula.  Of course, the tallow version is what got me excited to order in the first place so I used that for tonight's shave  Biggrin

It has been at least a few months since I used LPL, so my recollection of it may not be spot on for early comparison purposes.  However, the tallow formula is just as easy to lather as I remember with the traditional formula.  The lather itself seems a little creamier if that makes sense, and the post-shave is a definite improvement.  The scent reminds me very much of Rose de Pushkar, but much more subtle, cleaner/fresher, with less emphasis on rose.  The lather was extremely slick and very protective--it had a nice density to it that I don't seem to remember with the usual formula.  

As I mentioned, these impressions may be flawed as I am primarily comparing the tallow formula to the original and it has been a while since I used the original, so I may come back and change my opinion.  The one thing I am certain about at this point is the skin care and post-shave qualities are a definite improvement.  While I always gave LPL the nod when compared to MdC for these properties, I recall thinking that I still wanted just a little more.  However, I came away from tonight's shave feeling fully satisfied.  

While this is currently a LE, I definitely hope Cyril decides to continue producing this tallow formula as I feel it makes an already excellent soap even better.  Over the next few days I plan on switching between the original formula and the tallow formula, and I will follow up with a more accurate and refined assessment.  However, if you are a fan of LPL (and you don't mind tallow), I do recommend picking this up as I don't think you will be disappointed, and I'm not sure how "limited" it is at this point  Biggrin

34 1,627
 08-31-2016, 05:29 PM
User Info
Didn't even know he made tallow soap!

Nice.

11 1,619
 08-31-2016, 05:50 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Thanks for your reviews, gentlemen. I agree 100% re. Havanne. I should be receiving my tallow soap any day now.

38 5,702
 08-31-2016, 09:28 PM
User Info
All this love for an average soap. YMMV in all its glory, I guess.

0 145
 10-04-2016, 05:17 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I used my LPL soaps for the last 5 shaves. I really have to use them more often. They are very good soaps, I'm glad I didn't finally sell them. The performance is better than many other soaps I've tried and the scents quite pleasant, especially the one of Rose de Pushkar. They are still in my Top 5 list. Cyril does a great job. From my experience, the French soaps are amazing performers, I have yet to find one with mediocre performance.

58 2,346
 10-04-2016, 12:01 PM
User Info
(10-04-2016, 05:17 AM)nikos.a Wrote: I used my LPL soaps for the last 5 shaves. I really have to use them more often. They are very good soaps, I'm glad I didn't finally sell them. The performance is better than many other soaps I've tried and the scents quite pleasant, especially the one of Rose de Pushkar. They are still in my Top 5 list. Cyril does a great job. From my experience, the French soaps are amazing performers, I have yet to find one with mediocre performance.

Agreed.

I forget the 7-8 LPL's I own, but when I rarely use one of them, they are fantastic soaps. Better than my MDC's honestly (and I still love my MDC's, even though they have a slightly drying post shave feel)

BTW still need to get his new tallow version and the Havana one !

25 6,438
 10-04-2016, 12:08 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(10-04-2016, 12:01 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(10-04-2016, 05:17 AM)nikos.a Wrote: I used my LPL soaps for the last 5 shaves. I really have to use them more often. They are very good soaps, I'm glad I didn't finally sell them. The performance is better than many other soaps I've tried and the scents quite pleasant, especially the one of Rose de Pushkar. They are still in my Top 5 list. Cyril does a great job. From my experience, the French soaps are amazing performers, I have yet to find one with mediocre performance.

Agreed.

I forget the 7-8 LPL's I own, but when I rarely use one of them, they are fantastic soaps. Better than my MDC's honestly (and I still love my MDC's, even though they have a slightly drying post shave feel)

BTW still need to get his new tallow version and the Havana one !

Claus, I was about to order the new tallow version but Phil anounced that soon one will be made for TSN, so I thought it would be better to wait for it.

58 2,346
 12-23-2016, 02:04 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Lathering a great soap, the Cedre Patchouli. I used it today and had a very nice shave!

[Image: 2c68385a-f513-4130-803a-e5e7d01bdf78_zpsfb2xglyw.jpg]

Here is already Christmas Eve, so Merry Christmas everyone! Smile

58 2,346
 02-27-2018, 06:22 AM
User Info
so whats the current word on the apricot....worthy?  i see that its not limited edition and available in 200 gram versions nowadays for about $32 or so

0 39
 02-27-2018, 08:45 AM
User Info
(02-27-2018, 06:22 AM)Imcnok Wrote: so whats the current word on the apricot....worthy?  i see that its not limited edition and available in 200 gram versions nowadays for about $32 or so

Apricot is one of my two favorite LPL soaps, along with TSN/LPL Oud-Santal.  It's also the only non-tallow soap I have.  It's not a complex scent, but rather a simple, fresh fragrance which smells just like what you expect from the Apricot name.  I like it a lot, and it's a pleasant change from the darker scents which dominate my current preferences.  200g is 7oz, so it lasts a long time.

54 8,310
 03-18-2018, 02:46 AM
User Info
Hi, I have just bought this soap. The tin is small, so I transferred it to a larger one to make lathering easy. How do you guys lather this soap? Bloom it, less or more water for instance, and is synthetic or natural brush best? Thanks

0 140
 03-18-2018, 05:13 AM
User Info
(03-18-2018, 02:46 AM)Roy Wrote: Hi, I have just bought this soap. The tin is small, so I transferred it to a larger one to make lathering easy. How do you guys lather this soap? Bloom it, less or more water for instance, and is synthetic or natural brush best? Thanks

Roy, did you get a 100g or 200g tin?  The larger 200g tins are large enough for me to easily load the brush from.  I haven't found a need to bloom LPL soaps.  I've used two-band, boar and synthetic brushes with my LPL's, and all work well.  This soap is not difficult to lather.  However, in general, my experience is that synthetic brushes can be more efficient at creating lather.

54 8,310
 03-18-2018, 08:43 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I understand they have a tallow offering,  any thoughts from those who'v used it?

8 2,531
 03-18-2018, 09:50 AM
User Info
(03-18-2018, 08:43 AM)Mouser Wrote: I understand they have a tallow offering,  any thoughts from those who'v used it?

The one I'm familiar with is the TSN/LPL Oud-Santal.  This is a superb soap, both as to scent and performance.  Numerous positive comments about this soap have been posted here on TSN.  Additionally, you can check out the many positive reviews on BullGoose.  It is definitely one of my top soaps.

https://bullgooseshaving.com/collections...ed-edition

[Image: U7uksrZ.jpg]

54 8,310
 08-05-2018, 12:30 PM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
I've got this in my basket waiting for the right moment.

So many of you have said it rocks so I'm willing to pull the trigger to check it out.

0 345
 08-10-2018, 07:53 PM
User Info
(11-11-2013, 11:21 AM)celestino Wrote: Obie, do you find Le Pere Lucien soap lasts as long as MdC? Do you need more product from the previous compared to the latter?
I have heard from a few folks that you go through much more of Le Pere Lucien than MdC. It would be good to validate these claims from anyone who has tried both.
I have been using both soaps for years now and I can confirm from my experience that MDC will give you at least 30% more shaves than LPL if you are using a boar brush at the time of purchase. I tend to load heavy and my boar brushes are the larger professional type like ABC, Mondial, Zenith and Thater. However, if you allow LPL to naturally dry in the container say over a period of 3 weeks and then you start to use it and not put the lid back on after using the soap you will find that LPL will last nearly as long as MDC.

0 5