11-10-2013, 07:23 AM
User Info
Hey guys. Iam looking for a new razor for my brother for Xmas. He shaves everyday for work. He is using a merkur 34c now. I was thinking of getting him the ikon slant as it seems to have great reviews. I was thinking if a adjustable razor but I haven't found one in stainless yet. What are your thought. I have the merkur vision but iam concerned of its longevity as the reviews have stated. Its a great razor but they say is corrodes quickly. What's your opinions in the ikon slant for someone who has to a have every day.
Thanks.

Steve.

0 7
 11-10-2013, 07:52 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I have both the Merkur 37C and the iKon Slant.

The 37C is the slant version of the 34C and is a excellent, cost effective choice.

The iKon Slant offers stainless steel construction as an added bonus, at an added premium of course.

Both are great choices, depending on your budget.

102 17,668
 11-10-2013, 10:47 AM
User Info
Thanks for the information. Would you say the ikon slant is mild or on the aggressive side.

0 7
 11-10-2013, 10:53 AM
User Info
I think a slant bar is inherently on the aggressive side.

But I was going to say the Ikon slant is more of a curiosity that would be a good gift. Fairly recent that it came out, something different, all that.

0 303
 11-10-2013, 11:06 AM
User Info
I'm a big fan of the 37C. It seems to take care of a few spots on my beard that grow in odd directions. For the price difference you could add a Rooney 3/1 and have a really great gift combo.

2 16
 11-10-2013, 11:10 AM
User Info
The Ikon slant is a mild to moderate razor, shaves very much like an Edwin Jagger DE89, only a little closer - not a razor to be feared.

47 1,112
 11-10-2013, 11:43 AM
User Info
Thanks everyone for there comments. The 37c Or the ikon slant both sound like they will be perfect. Iam leaning towards the ikon right now but that could change. The Rooney 3/1 brush seems great also. I've only ever done bowl lather with castle Forbes shaving cream. So what do you recommend for a face lather cream.I am using a ej877 brush now. Only been shaveing with de razors for a couple of years so still learning all the tricks. But have had some of the best shaves ever.

Thanks

0 7
 11-13-2013, 09:29 AM
User Info
I've heard only good things about it. Would love to try soon!

0 217
 11-13-2013, 10:02 AM
User Info
Personally I wouldn't be too concerned about any metal razor corroding quickly. Besides many of the "pot metal" razors are plated with chromium which is one of the hardest finishing substances out there. There are plenty of vintage pot metal razors on eBay still in great shape.

That being said, the iKon slant is an interesting razor. I didn't find it to be too aggressive or "dangerous" at all; in fact I found it to be "safer" than the Merkur 37C since the bar and the head parallel each other as it slants, whereas the 37C "opens up" as it slants.

My major issue with the iKon slant was the fact that the head was so big. The rounded top cap really adds a lot of mass to the head and made it much less maneuverable, especially under the nose.

I know this isn't answering the question, but I have a suggestion for an alternative: how about getting your brother a nice collection of shaving soaps or creams?

72 1,407
 11-14-2013, 02:13 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I own both the nickel and gold plated Merkur slants and will never part with them (except to my sons), but I achieve a smoother shave with the iKon slant, which IMO is not an aggressive razor. My only criticism of the ikon is that the apex of the top cap is too high creating for some minor manoeuvrability issues under the nose, but these are easily overcome.

91 17,850
 11-14-2013, 03:07 PM
User Info
Thanks for all the help guys. I am using a weber with a feather blade and I like that combo right now. I wonder how the ikon slant compares to the weber.

Thanks again

0 7
 11-14-2013, 06:17 PM
User Info
(11-14-2013, 03:07 PM)laxratnd Wrote: Thanks for all the help guys. I am using a weber with a feather blade and I like that combo right now. I wonder how the ikon slant compares to the weber.

Thanks again

In my personal experience, I found virtually no difference in the quality of shaves between the Weber and the iKon slant. I also think the Weber is a great razor.

- Josh -

72 1,407