11-10-2013, 12:14 PM
User Info
Today I decided to break out my Simpson's Tulip 2-2band and work it over some MWF, and as I was swirling across the puck something magical happened. Not only did it lather much better than it has in the past, but I also had an experience not a lot of people have the opportunity to see. It was as if the clouds of lather parted and I saw the soap break to see the bottom of my ceramic container! I've worked my way though several different soaps, the most challenging probably being the original VDH...well that was challenging because before I was finished with it I had MWF and Cella 1k block delivered.

Today I broke through the bottom of MWF...Now to work on finishing the remaining portion of the puck!

9 149
 11-10-2013, 02:12 PM
User Info
Congratulations and have fun finishing the Fat! Smile

75 20,884
 11-10-2013, 02:13 PM
User Info
MWF is the 8th wonder of the world.

1 131
 11-10-2013, 04:50 PM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
The Fat is magical. I love that stuff, and make sure I use it at least once a week. Just like Old Spice and MdC. That way I have 4 days to choose from all the other great options-Tabac, Speick, Musgo Real, etc

19 700
 11-11-2013, 12:43 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(11-10-2013, 12:14 PM)Ufgoodies Wrote: Today I decided to break out my Simpson's Tulip 2-2band and work it over some MWF, and as I was swirling across the puck something magical happened. Not only did it lather much better than it has in the past, but I also had an experience not a lot of people have the opportunity to see. It was as if the clouds of lather parted and I saw the soap break to see the bottom of my ceramic container! I've worked my way though several different soaps, the most challenging probably being the original VDH...well that was challenging because before I was finished with it I had MWF and Cella 1k block delivered.

Today I broke through the bottom of MWF...Now to work on finishing the remaining portion of the puck!

MWF and I COLONIALI Mango are the only two soaps I continually order replacement pucks for. I will probably be adding CADE Soap to that list shortly.

Just a tip in case you are interested. You know how the puck of MWF is smaller than the inside of the ceramic dish, well, this is what I do.

I grate the puck then repack it into the dish. Not only does it fill up the dish, it lathers easier for some reason.

173 23,555
 11-14-2013, 04:24 AM
User Info
Sounds like "The Fat" is a great soap...I'm going to give it a run.

0 80
 11-14-2013, 07:11 AM
User Info
Love the fat. Oddly, it is what I started with and have not tried another yet. I may try grating and repacking Johnny. Interesting suggestion.

6 358
 11-14-2013, 07:20 AM
User Info
MWF burns me terribly. I will never experience the wonder that is the "Fat." Sad

Woe is me!

0 386
 11-14-2013, 07:35 AM
User Info
I wish I could share a positive experience...but unfortunately after couple of tries it ended up being used up as a bath soap...

4 179
 11-14-2013, 07:49 AM
User Info
(11-14-2013, 07:20 AM)branford Wrote: MWF burns me terribly. I will never experience the wonder that is the "Fat." Sad

Woe is me!

I would guess it's the lanolin; I'd avoid soaps with lanolin from now on.

12 1,243
 11-14-2013, 07:54 AM
User Info
(11-14-2013, 07:49 AM)insomniac Wrote:
(11-14-2013, 07:20 AM)branford Wrote: MWF burns me terribly. I will never experience the wonder that is the "Fat." Sad

Woe is me!

I would guess it's the lanolin; I'd avoid soaps with lanolin from now on.

Nope. Not the lanolin. I do not have a lanolin allergy and have effectively used soaps and creams like Musgo Real and other skincare products containing the ingredient on may face. My best guess is that the fragrance oils are the culprit.

0 386
 11-14-2013, 04:21 PM
User Info

Woe is me!
That truly is a sad experience! It provides its own unique shaving experience...that isnt to say there isnt anything CLOSE though. Have you tried mikes natural soaps? Theyre not exact and the smell is way off (which is good in your case) but they provide me with excellent shaves...only slightly behind the fat.

(11-14-2013, 07:11 AM)Aimless1 Wrote: Love the fat. Oddly, it is what I started with and have not tried another yet. I may try grating and repacking Johnny. Interesting suggestion.

My first 2 real soaps were ordered at the same time. 1kg brick of cella and mwf and refill puck...both were able to live up to the hype...though ive converted more people to traditional wet shaving by giving them cella than mwf (do you expect me to give up some mwf? Pshaw! Lol)

(11-14-2013, 07:35 AM)inspectoring Wrote: I wish I could share a positive experience...but unfortunately after couple of tries it ended up being used up as a bath soap...
I must admit that I almost gave my mwf and the refill puck away myself because of the aggressive nature of the soap...when I first used it all I had was a fatboy (my first DE razor was a cased fatboy I stumbled upon in the wild) and I believe I have learned that my face doesn't particularly LIKE a fatboy and gets down right upset when combined with mwf. As soon as I used a fat handled tech, and more so an aristocrat, my face stopped experiencing insensible nicks causing massive tiny bleeding.

(11-11-2013, 12:43 PM)Johnny Wrote: MWF and I COLONIALI Mango are the only two soaps I continually order replacement pucks for. I will probably be adding CADE Soap to that list shortly.

Just a tip in case you are interested. You know how the puck of MWF is smaller than the inside of the ceramic dish, well, this is what I do.

I grate the puck then repack it into the dish. Not only does it fill up the dish, it lathers easier for some reason.

MdC and I colonialy are the next two soaps that I want to try, though itll probably take a little while due to the number of amazing soaps that I have acquired lately.

As for filling the dish ive not had any problems getting the puck wet and then pressing against the bottom...the lather produced dries and then holds it there exceptionally well. Thanks for the heads up though...I may utilize it if I move to a place with harder water

9 149
 11-14-2013, 05:31 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
It always amazes me how this soap gets such polarized opinions. It certainly exemplifies the true individualism that defines this hobby. For me MWF truly is "magical," and despite being sensitive to many other incredible soaps, MWF always comes through with outstanding lather, no irritation, and exceptional post-shave feel. I have yet to see the bottom of my ceramic bowl, but I do already have a refill lined up.

29 1,581
 11-16-2013, 09:33 PM
User Info
I really like MWF, it has given me good shaves every time I have used it. However, I don't give it as much attention as it deserves. It deserves to be used by someone who will give it plenty of attention and use.

2 396
 11-19-2013, 08:11 AM
User Info
(11-14-2013, 04:24 AM)Jay Wrote: Sounds like "The Fat" is a great soap...I'm going to give it a run.

Hurry, do!

Woe is me!

Sorry, mate! THAT is terrible!Confused

0 189
 11-20-2013, 05:17 AM
User Info
I really like the clean smell. Great soap and the ceramic bowl is tops.

18 201