11-10-2013, 03:52 PM
User Info
Ordered a Vie-Long Beehive from Phil over at BGS and I love the velvety feel of the badger, and I've been trying to use it every other day or so to help break in the knot. I am, however, finding that the density, backbone and overall scrubbiness is starting to irritate my skin quite a bit, so I've been experimenting with palm-lathering, which feels rather difficult with that dense monster: it really excels at the face-lathering.

Interesting, scratchier badger and boar doesn't seem to bother my skin as much as the Beehive, which took me quite by surprise. I was expecting that with those soft tips it would be smooth sailing for my (admittedly difficult) skin.

Are there any tips regarding dense brushes like this in terms of use or break-in that might be helpful in figuring out how to make the brush work for me? Love so much about this brush, but my skin is a serious pain when it comes to brushes, so far I've only been able to tolerate synthetics (whose vary artificial splay I dislike strongly) and a Thater 2-band consistently.

Please help, it's a beautiful brush and I don't want my baby skin to ruin it for me!

14 229
 11-10-2013, 08:48 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
I have the Butterscotch beehive silvertip and it is one of the softest brushes i have cant imagine it irritating a face mayby the newer stock is different?

115 1,692
 11-10-2013, 09:06 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(11-10-2013, 08:48 PM)Triad Wrote: I have the Butterscotch beehive silvertip and it is one of the softest brushes i have cant imagine it irritating a face mayby the newer stock is different?

The newer stock is the same hair as the butterscotch version.

45 16,353
 11-10-2013, 09:09 PM
User Info
i just got one and used it today (second use) and it is super soft and a pretty amazing brush.

97 1,252
 11-10-2013, 09:21 PM
User Info
I, too, am surprised by this. I have heard some great things about these brushes. Good luck to you.

75 20,883
 11-10-2013, 09:39 PM
User Info
(11-10-2013, 09:21 PM)celestino Wrote: I, too, am surprised by this. I have heard some great things about these brushes. Good luck to you.

It's an incredibly soft brush, I think it's the other factors giving it more scrub than my skin is happy with (like loft and density). It's miles ahead of other silvertips I have tried in terms of how nice the hair quality is.

14 229
 11-11-2013, 05:40 AM
User Info
I have one I purchased from Phil last year when he originally offered them for sale. It is an excellent brush with very high quality silvertip hair.

0 3,341
 11-11-2013, 08:10 AM
User Info
I used mine again this morning with the supposed unlatherable Billy Jealousy whipped Cream shave cream and after about 45 seconds I had enough lather for 4-5 passes easily (by the way this Billy Jealousy shave cream is surprisingly good).

97 1,252
 12-04-2013, 08:57 PM
User Info
Update:

So after a few weeks, the knot has relaxed a fair bit. I'm not sure if maybe mine was just "tighter" and more compact than the norm, but it actually fans out and blooms significantly larger now, which has translated into a much more comfortable lathering process. Just needed some time to settle in!

14 229
 12-04-2013, 09:33 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Good to hear glad your enjoying itCool

115 1,692
 12-05-2013, 05:42 PM
User Info
Great news! The Vie Long beehive is a very underrated brush that performs as well as, if not better, than many more expensive ones.

34 122
 12-07-2013, 02:50 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I love beehive handles. I haven't got one, though. Simpson does one, and Rooney, but there is big clunky writing all over the Simpson which, to my eye, shows a lack of finesse, just like my writing about it Smile I mean, it's obvious it a beehive, no?

0 1,625
 12-08-2013, 08:27 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Happy to read the VL beehive is sweetening up for you.

It's been my experience, that although badger does not split and soften in the way boar does, a badger knot will relax with use. As the knot yields with gentle pressure and use, the presentation to the face can also soften noticeably.

91 17,868
 12-08-2013, 09:23 AM
User Info
(12-04-2013, 08:57 PM)explodyii Wrote: Update:

So after a few weeks, the knot has relaxed a fair bit. I'm not sure if maybe mine was just "tighter" and more compact than the norm, but it actually fans out and blooms significantly larger now, which has translated into a much more comfortable lathering process. Just needed some time to settle in!

Although it takes much less time than boar brushes, badger brushes also will go through a break in process. Some knots are more prone to needing a break in. You may have gotten a variation in the lot that caused a longer than expected adjustment.

Enjoy!

1 2,827
 12-08-2013, 10:12 AM
User Info
(12-08-2013, 09:23 AM)GDCarrington Wrote:
(12-04-2013, 08:57 PM)explodyii Wrote: Update:

Although it takes much less time than boar brushes, badger brushes also will go through a break in process. Some knots are more prone to needing a break in. You may have gotten a variation in the lot that caused a longer than expected adjustment.

Enjoy!

+1

I own the butterscotch Beehive 3-Band Silvertip Vie Long from Phil, and while the knot has been cut shorter in loft, it excels in the softness and luxury feel on my skin.

So you must have received a more densely packed knot or with slightly rougher hair.

22 5,064