11-10-2013, 04:52 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
On Friday, my television died so today a new one was delivered. As you can see from the photo on the left, what I had was a 31-inch dinosaur. I now have a 55-inch flat screen TV. Ironically, I found the bill of sale for the old TV and I purchased it exactly 22 years ago today!

My old TV was easy...ON/OFF. This new one, however, does everything but tuck me in at night and I'm not so sure there isn't a button for that, as well. The delivery gents could not have been nicer and more helpful if they tried. The two of them were a class act all around. They walked me through everything and the remote(s) I would need to use. The trouble is that after they left I forgot a lot of it. I know I have to read the manuals, which I shall do tonight and tomorrow. I was, finally, able to get my Amazon Prime set up and just picked a free movie, The Hunger Games, to watch while I'm having dinner.

May I ask some questions here, please? Can you tell me how long the learning curve for this will be? I purchased an LG 55LA8600 55-inch telly. I'm not 100% sure I know what I have. Looking at reviews was both helpful and confusing. It is a "smart" TV so I can get The Shave Nook on it through the built in web browser! Biggrin I have also purchased something called a ZVOX soundbox that makes the TV sound pretty good. It is 5.1 instead of a soundbar's 2.1. What do those numbers mean? The television supports 3-D so I hope the soundbox will be good for that. I want to see the movie Gravity but thought I might wait until it comes out on DVD and watch it in the comfort of my home. It would be the first 3-D movie that I see on this setup.

Can anyone tell me if Netflix is worth the investment and how it differs from Amazon Prime? Are the movie selections on Netflix pretty decent and are they different enough from the Amazon Prime offerings? I am so fed up with commercials on regular television that I watch very little of it and thought that, perhaps, between Amazon Prime and Netflix I'd have a pretty decent selection of things to watch without constant commercial interruption.

One last thing, please. What is Hulu and does anyone have any other recommendations for a smart TV?

Thanks for any help you can give me. Smile

[Image: bQuDl3P.jpg] [Image: tZdxoos.jpg]

2 11,211
 11-10-2013, 05:06 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
Freddy

Hulu is another movie service like Netflix. Depending on your taste you can find all sorts of movies, documentaries, tv series etc. on either and the cost is about $8 per month, used both for awhile then ended subscriptions penalty free. Hulu's big advantage is they have the Criterion Collection movies, foreign classic art films.

Also don't overlook youtube for movies. There are thousands of full length movies there free that will run beautifully on your tv.

15 541
 11-10-2013, 05:14 PM
  • freddy
User Info
Thanks. I didn't know You Tube had free movies. Smile

2 11,211
 11-10-2013, 09:24 PM
User Info
Wow, Freddy! That is a large TV! You are going to enjoy your movies!
Sorry, but I am of no help as I am still a bit of a Luddite and only watch DVDs on our TV. Biggrin

75 20,883
 11-11-2013, 03:49 AM
User Info
Freddy,

I can answer a few of your questions.

1) Netflix vs. Amazon Prime.

As you might imagine, they're essentially the same. So, if you have one there's little need to get the other. There are a few titles that only one will have, but that may not make the investment in both worthwhile.

I have both (we got Prime because we buy so many things from Amazon). Since Amazon got their streaming service running, we rarely use the Netflix option. It may be on its way out of our house.

2) Do you need a set-top-box?

I don't know if you still have cable or not. I don't - haven't had it for years - I only miss it on the rare occasions that I want to watch a college football game.

We have a Roku HD box, that allows us to stream pretty much anything we want - Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, MLB, NHL - you name it. All with no commercials and we only pay for what we use.

However, your TV doesn't even need that. It should allow you to play anything that you can get on your iPad (I'm pretty sure you have one). You may need to connect them through the HDMI cable to get the best quality, but maybe not.

3) Hulu

Hulu is for watching shows that are more current. Netflix and Amazon get the shows after a significant delay (usually a season or more). Some people cannot wait for that long to watch their favourite shows. That's where Hulu comes in.

We tried it for a while and then came to the conclusion that we rarely have the inclination or the time to watch current shows. My teenaged daughter is the only person in the house who occasionally asks about it, but we've come to the conclusion that it's not worth it for us.

37 1,731
 11-11-2013, 07:31 AM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
Hi,

5.1 sound means you have 5 satellite speakers around room and 1 sub-woofer for bass.

[Image: image]

11 861
 11-11-2013, 08:04 AM
User Info
The learning curve can be as short or as long as you want it to be. You don't have to use the smart tv functions, but since they're there, not much reason not to.

My tv is not smart. Can't help you there.

Seems like your other questions are answered though.

Don't see your speakers, but if they're that thing under your tv, the 5.1 isn't true 5.1. They've just angled the speakers and used technology to fool your ears into thinking the sound is coming from behind you.

IME it doesn't work as well as true 5.1, but unless you care...

Cool upgrade! Biggrin

9 2,988
 11-11-2013, 09:59 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
All I know is that the picture on that new TV is 100 times better than the old one.

173 23,490
 11-11-2013, 11:47 AM
  • freddy
User Info
Gentlemen, thank you all for taking the time to answer.

Yohann, I have started watching The Hunger Games via Amazon Prime and can now truly appreciate the movie feature beyond the fast shipping, which was my original reason for signing up for Prime. Just to see what the differences are, though, I am tempted to try Netflix for the 30 day free period. I still have cable but after my contract runs out I would like to be able to drop it.

Jack and Lee, I kind of thought the 5.1 in a box might be what you said. I'm still working with the various sound elements in the ZVOX but, overall, I like it much better than the sound from the TV speakers. I am in no way an audiophile so it probably doesn't take too much to please my unsophisticated hearing.

Johnny, I am just amazed by the picture. Suddenly, TV watching is enjoyable! Also, I am very pleasantly surprised with the built in web browser. Seeing The Shave Nook in all of its 55-inch glory is a lot of fun. Ironically, though, the Luxure version of the site goes from beige to pink! The colors for watching TV or movies are fine. I wonder what that's about? Hmm I do want to get a wireless keyboard for using the browser, though. Using the TV remote is cumbersome.

Again, folks, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

2 11,211
 11-11-2013, 12:24 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
I dread when I will have to replace my old tv. Like you said Freddy they do eveything now a days.

1 3,507
 11-11-2013, 01:31 PM
User Info
Freddy -

I discussed this with my wife, and she mentioned a few shows/movies that were available on Netflix and not Amazon. So there's certainly reason to have both, if the shows you want are on one and not the other.

Anyway, since Netflix is a pay-as-you-go service that can be canceled at any time, there's nothing to lose by trying it out.

37 1,731
 11-11-2013, 01:59 PM
User Info
I, like you, hate watching commercials and Netflix works wonderfully for that (I've never tried Amazon's service). As was mentioned, the TV shows that are on Netflix are usually a season are two behind, but there's so much available that's not a problem for me.

I would suggest that since you're already using Amazon's service, continue to use that for a month. After you've gotten a taste of that, then try the free month of Netflix. At the end of the second month you should have a pretty good idea of which you prefer.

I have signed up for Hulu Plus and quite honestly, I need to cancel it. Even though I'm using the paid service (they have some selections that are free, so by all means try it), I still have to deal with commercials and find that quite annoying.

0 836
 11-11-2013, 03:37 PM
  • freddy
User Info
(11-11-2013, 01:59 PM)5Savages Wrote: I, like you, hate watching commercials and Netflix works wonderfully for that (I've never tried Amazon's service). As was mentioned, the TV shows that are on Netflix are usually a season are two behind, but there's so much available that's not a problem for me.

I would suggest that since you're already using Amazon's service, continue to use that for a month. After you've gotten a taste of that, then try the free month of Netflix. At the end of the second month you should have a pretty good idea of which you prefer.

I have signed up for Hulu Plus and quite honestly, I need to cancel it. Even though I'm using the paid service (they have some selections that are free, so by all means try it), I still have to deal with commercials and find that quite annoying.

You're paying AND there are commercials, Pat?!!!! Sadly, that makes Hulu Plus a deal breaker for me. Sad

2 11,211
 11-11-2013, 03:38 PM
  • freddy
User Info
(11-11-2013, 01:31 PM)yohannrjm Wrote: Freddy -

I discussed this with my wife, and she mentioned a few shows/movies that were available on Netflix and not Amazon. So there's certainly reason to have both, if the shows you want are on one and not the other.

Anyway, since Netflix is a pay-as-you-go service that can be canceled at any time, there's nothing to lose by trying it out.

Yes, that is what I was thinking, too, Yohann.

2 11,211
 11-11-2013, 03:41 PM
  • freddy
User Info
On another note, after speaking with our Mike Perry here at TSN and the gentleman who sold me my TV, I am seriously considering the purchase of a Logitech Harmony remote control. I do not like having to use 2-3 remotes to do what I want with the television.

2 11,211
 11-12-2013, 07:26 PM
User Info
Sorry. Freddy. I still have an old stupid tv and have no clue.
I'll continue to live in the dark ages for a while yet Smile

1 345
 11-12-2013, 11:05 PM
User Info
(11-11-2013, 03:37 PM)freddy Wrote: You're paying AND there are commercials, Pat?!!!! Sadly, that makes Hulu Plus a deal breaker for me. Sad

Yep. Paying for the service gets you more content, not relief from the commercials.

(11-11-2013, 03:41 PM)freddy Wrote: On another note, after speaking with our Mike Perry here at TSN and the gentleman who sold me my TV, I am seriously considering the purchase of a Logitech Harmony remote control. I do not like having to use 2-3 remotes to do what I want with the television.

We have a Logitech Harmony remote and I love it. Expensive, but once the pain of paying is gone, you'll love it.

0 836
 11-13-2013, 11:50 AM
  • freddy
User Info
(11-12-2013, 11:05 PM)5Savages Wrote:
(11-11-2013, 03:37 PM)freddy Wrote: You're paying AND there are commercials, Pat?!!!! Sadly, that makes Hulu Plus a deal breaker for me. Sad

Yep. Paying for the service gets you more content, not relief from the commercials.

(11-11-2013, 03:41 PM)freddy Wrote: On another note, after speaking with our Mike Perry here at TSN and the gentleman who sold me my TV, I am seriously considering the purchase of a Logitech Harmony remote control. I do not like having to use 2-3 remotes to do what I want with the television.

We have a Logitech Harmony remote and I love it. Expensive, but once the pain of paying is gone, you'll love it.

Pat, the UPS man just dropped off two Amazon packages for me. One of them should be the Harmony! Biggrin You are the third person who has highly recommended it so I am looking forward to setting it up.

2 11,211
 11-13-2013, 08:36 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
My family subscribes to both Netflix and Amazon Prime, and Hulu Plus. It's still much cheaper than cable and covers almost all of our TV watching needs.

(I also subscribe to Crunchy Roll, but I'm a big fan of anime (Japanese animation) so it's worth it to me.)

10 1,858
 11-14-2013, 10:37 AM
  • freddy
User Info
That Logitech Harmony has been an absolute nightmare to set up and it still isn't 100% the way I want it. I spent more than 5 hours trying to set it up yesterday and simply don't have the will to do any more with it right now. Not only that, but if one wants to talk to a tech, about a problem of their own making, well that will cost you $29.00, that after the almost $70.00 initial cost for the product. Needless to say I passed on that generous offer and if I was to rate this product then I would give it 2½, possibly 3, stars out of 5. I couldn't recommend this to anyone who isn't very tech savvy or knows someone who is. The bit that I did finally set up seems to work well but no way should it have been so time consuming and frustrating to get to that point. It's a shame, really, because if one can get it to do what it claims then it works and works well. Sad

Ironically, I also purchased a wireless keyboard from the same company (Logitech) to use with the internet on the new television and it was virtually plug and play. (5 stars, there Biggrin )

EDIT: (15 November) This is to send a HUGE thank you to our Mike Perry. Mike called me from St. Louis today to ask how I liked the Harmony and I told him of my frustrations. He literally got on his computer in St. Louis, had me get on mine here in San Diego, and by asking me some questions about my setup, he walked me through getting the remote up and running exactly as I want it. He spent in excess of an hour doing this with me and making sure everything was working. He admitted that he had some of the same types of problems when he first got his so it wasn't entirely me and my lack of computer sophistication. Because he had some of those same problems, he knew exactly what to do. Again, I cannot thank Mike enough. The Shave Nook is about shaving and so very much more. Thumbup

2 11,211