11-11-2013, 07:26 PM
User Info
I visited the Antique Marketplace outside of Greensboro, North Carolina yesterday and found this Dubl Duck in bad shape. The top half of the blade face and the tang were thick with rust with heavy patina on the edge. I thought I'd take a chance on it.

I took off some rust with a paper towel and cleaned the scales with my fingers. The marketplace people let me use some steel wool and then Simichrome Polish and I was amazed at the good shape of the blade underneath all that rust. I hand sanded most of the patina, but didn't give the blade a mirror finish.

I used my Naniwa set to hone the razor and forgot to look at the blade edge with my ocular until I'd finished my progression. There were jagged and rust-pocked places that took a lot more honing out using a coticule with slurry. Then back to the Naniwa progression. Finished with chromium oxide, ferrous oxide, CBN, linen and leather.

Nice edge. This blade feels very different from the typical 5/8 square toed extra hollow GoldenEdge. Heavier, thicker metal. I'm sorry the gold wash was eaten away by the rust.

[Image: reO9kaN.jpg]

[Image: e7qMZOT.jpg]

21 1,478
 11-11-2013, 07:34 PM
User Info
Wow, that looks to be in very good condition! Enjoy the razor. Smile

75 20,883
 11-12-2013, 07:38 AM
User Info
Congrats on your score.
I gravitate towards these and I've been using mine the past several days.
I have one that is NOS and I resto'd the other two.I had it for some time with just a polished shaft but I have since discovered re Gilding and have now replaced the Gold. It came out so smooth and shiny it's difficult to accurately photograph. But the Gold is deep in luster and I duplicated the shade of blue for the scripts as well. Looks like new. Probably better.

[Image: rfKaEmq.jpg]

[Image: XtPOpWV.jpg]

[Image: e0SuNrk.jpg]

0 772
 11-12-2013, 08:49 AM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
Gorgeous razors Gentlemen. Congrats and excellent work on your restorations.

14 1,177
 11-12-2013, 12:35 PM
User Info
Nice score and save Robert.

5 1,810
 11-12-2013, 03:51 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
Beautiful! Congrats.

14 870
 11-12-2013, 05:55 PM
User Info
mycarver, how'd you do the goldwash replacement?

21 1,478
 11-12-2013, 06:08 PM
User Info
It's a commercial type plating process. I've also done a Union Cutlery Gold Coin and have several others waiting for the Gold bath.

0 772