11-12-2013, 12:19 PM
User Info
Are the expensive stainless steel razors such as the Feather, Ikon, Above the Tie and Tradere better shavers than the lesser priced Merkurs, Muhles, and Webers? Is the attraction the way they shave, the quality of the craftsmanship, the durability, or a combination thereof?

0 295
 11-12-2013, 12:23 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
I think its a combo of quality shave and materials for me.
I love the new Ikon Deluxe OC but the Gillette New shaves pretty similar

115 1,692
 11-12-2013, 12:27 PM
User Info
Im looking forward to reading this thread.

Im not as experienced as a lot of members but Ive owned all of those except Muhles. If Im going to look at and hold a razor, the feather and above the tie make my hand and eye happy but my daily razor is the weber.......just one guys opinion

11 87
 11-12-2013, 12:48 PM
User Info
Some top end stainless steel shavers are better than:

Some "pot metal" razors? Yes
Some "stainless" razors? Yes
Some "vintage Gilletes? Yes
Some "bakelite" razors? Yes

They are also worse shavers than:

Some "pot metal" razors.
Some "stainless" razors.
Some "vintage Gilletes.
Some "bakelite" razors.

It depends on your criteria for judging, but if ,say, the Weber or the DE89 is leaving something to be desired I would guess it was aggressiveness. If that's the case then I think you would be happier with some of the most recent iKon offerings like the closed comb or the slant. You could also go with the pot metal slant etc.

What you get with a higher end stainless razor over pot metal and bakelite is durability. What you get with a high end stainless model over a mid range stainless like the Weber is negligible in most cases other than the blade gap and attributes that set the blade angle. Sure you might get extra fit and finish or a higher grade of stainless that's even less likely to rust. But at 4x the cost? Only if you're sure it's a much better razor and even then that's pricey. I've got quite a few stainless razors and quite a few pot metal razors and Gilletes to boot. All of them shave well: some very mild and some are stubble slayers. The only way to decide if a razor is a better shaver (not considering price, fit and finish, rareness, cool factor, etc.) is to shave with your technique, your face, and your go to products like soaps and blades.

That said I like my stainless. They might not shave "better" but it's a whole avenue of shavers that you can only explore if you're willing to pay the cost of admission. Me personally, my daily razor has been one of the stainless creations that I would have otherwise never discovered if I didn't spend the money. I'd still be pretty happy with my DE89, but the fit and finish are important to me and I have a lot of fun using them. If I were still in college I wouldn't. Now that I have a little bit of extra money collecting and using razors, custom knives etc. is worth it. Just my two cents though.
[Image: lp49kV7.jpg]

[Image: YYeFZg2.png]

0 221
 11-12-2013, 12:51 PM
User Info
(11-12-2013, 12:48 PM)TYdeFan05 Wrote: Some top end stainless steel shavers are better than:

Some "pot metal" razors.
Some "stainless" razors.
Some "vintage Gilletes.
Some "bakelite" razors.

It depends on your criteria for judging, but if the Weber is leaving something to be desired I would guess it was aggressiveness. If that's the case then I think you would be happier with some of the most recent iKon offerings like the closed comb or the slant.

What you get with a higher end stainless razor over pot metal and bakelite is durability. What you get with a high end stainless model over a mid range stainless like the Weber is negligible in most cases other than the blade gap and attributes that set the blade angle. Sure you might get extra fit and finish or a higher grade of stainless that's even less likely to rust. But at 4x the cost? Only if you're sure it's a much better razor and even then that's pricey. I've got quite a few stainless razors and quite a few pot metal razors and Gilletes to boot. All of them shave well: some very mild and some are stubble slayers. The only way to decide if a razor is a better shaver (not considering price, fit and finish, rareness, cool factor, etc.) is to shave with your technique, your face, and your go to products like soaps and blades.

That said I like my stainless. The fit and finish are important to me and I have a lot of fun using them. If I were still in college I wouldn't. Now that I have a little bit of extra money collecting and using razors, custom knives etc. is worth it. Just my two cents though.
[Image: lp49kV7.jpg]

[Image: YYeFZg2.png]

Thank you for the detailed response. Great looking collection!

0 295
 11-12-2013, 12:53 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
Holy Smokes Tydefan05 , beautiful collection.

15 541
 11-12-2013, 01:11 PM
User Info
(11-12-2013, 12:53 PM)Hanzo Wrote: Holy Smokes Tydefan05 , beautiful collection.

Thanks! Those are camera phone pics from a year or so ago. I have a DSLR and a few more razors now. I need to take some update shots soon (for insurance reasons of course Wink).

0 221
 11-12-2013, 01:22 PM
User Info
They are definitely prettier, I've owned quite a few.

Best shave for me so far though is my Gillette Slim, can't beat adjustable IMHO. I will however, pony up for the new open comb from Above The Tie, and probably the HuntLee.

47 1,114
 11-12-2013, 02:10 PM
User Info
(11-12-2013, 12:48 PM)TYdeFan05 Wrote: Some top end stainless steel shavers are better than:

Some "pot metal" razors.
Some "stainless" razors.
Some "vintage Gilletes.
Some "bakelite" razors.

It depends on your criteria for judging, but if ,say, the Weber or the DE89 is leaving something to be desired I would guess it was aggressiveness. If that's the case then I think you would be happier with some of the most recent iKon offerings like the closed comb or the slant. You could also go with the pot metal slant etc.

That said I like my stainless. They might not shave "better" but it's a whole avenue of shavers that you can only explore if you're willing to pay the cost of admission. Me personally, my daily razor has been one of the stainless creations that I would have otherwise never discovered if I didn't spend the money. I'd still be pretty happy with my DE89, but the fit and finish are important to me and I have a lot of fun using them. If I were still in college I wouldn't. Now that I have a little bit of extra money collecting and using razors, custom knives etc. is worth it. Just my two cents though.

* Very well stated. I have gravitated towards the stainless steel razors for their weight and durability, but more so as my best shaver just happens to be the Weber DLC that I have paired with the UFO handles. If it weren't for the smoothness I get from this razor, I would be using any other one that shaved as smoothly, really. Blush

I see someone has two DLCs in their collection! Biggrin

75 20,883
 11-12-2013, 03:43 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Not nessecaryily. They are very well built and will last a life time most likely. My favorite shave is still the EJ DE89 though.

45 3,955
 11-13-2013, 09:22 AM
User Info
I think some people prefer the heft and feel of stainless. Others don't- they say they are too heavy.

Really I think it comes down to the fact that people believe that stainless means it will be around forever. And in a way they will. But you can also buy 3-4 regular EJ razors for the cost of some of the stainless (leave them in the packaging for that NOS look Smile )

People like the idea that they're safety razor isn't cheap or disposable.

Really it comes down to why you are shaving- for the results or for the hardware / tools. Most people are a combination of both so that's why the stainless market exists today.

My only problem is that most stainless will still take on the blade stains from these cheap DE blades we all use. Many have combated that problem with coatings on the stainless. However, again now that coating can wear away- so we are back to where we started.

YMMV.

0 217
 11-13-2013, 02:38 PM
User Info
TydeFan05, nice photos but I sense a serious dearth of Tradere razors in your collection.

In answer to the OP's question, I can clearly and unequivocally state "it depends."

I think my Tradere SB shaves me better than any other razor in my stable, to be sure. Whether that would be true for you, I have no idea.

1 1,107
 11-13-2013, 03:39 PM
User Info
(11-13-2013, 02:38 PM)kingfisher Wrote: TydeFan05, nice photos but I sense a serious dearth of Tradere razors in your collection.

In answer to the OP's question, I can clearly and unequivocally state "it depends."

I think my Tradere SB shaves me better than any other razor in my stable, to be sure. Whether that would be true for you, I have no idea.

I have them they just didn't make the photos Smile

0 221
 11-13-2013, 04:05 PM
User Info
Short and long answer ....No

2 697
 11-15-2013, 10:27 PM
User Info
(11-12-2013, 12:19 PM)Rockford Wrote: Are the expensive stainless steel razors such as the Feather, Ikon, Above the Tie and Tradere better shavers than the lesser priced Merkurs, Muhles, and Webers? Is the attraction the way they shave, the quality of the craftsmanship, the durability, or a combination thereof?
It is a combo of all factors. But due to the high cost you have to be smart and do your homework on which makers have the highest complaints.

0 606
 11-16-2013, 03:45 PM
User Info
(11-13-2013, 04:05 PM)SteelTown Wrote: Short and long answer ....No

Simple but true. You can find a stainless or non-stainless that will be a great shaver for you. You can also find a stainless or non-stainless that will not be a good shaver for you. Many of us like the look, feel, craftsmanship and durability of stainless. However, there is nothing about stainless which makes a razor shave inherently better.

37 2,971
 11-16-2013, 03:57 PM
User Info
I've been thru a number of stainless and non-stainless razors, but right now I"m getting my best shaves from vintage adjustable - a Gillette Slim. Love being able to crank up the aggression for the final few passes.

If you want pretty, pick one up that's been refinished (Nickel, Rhodium, etc.) and you'll have the best of both worlds!

47 1,114
 11-16-2013, 04:49 PM
User Info
The build quality is part of the aesthetic experience for me. I don't own a stainless, but I'd consider buying one if it was a quality design.

0 303
 11-19-2013, 02:32 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
My Fat Boy, 1940 era gold Fat handle Tech, '56 Red Tip....there isn't a "better shave" for me to chase....there's nothing "wanting". I'll keep buying razors, but I'm not looking for a better shave.

6 2,006
 11-19-2013, 04:04 AM
User Info
(11-19-2013, 02:32 AM)Mouser Wrote: My Fat Boy, 1940 era gold Fat handle Tech, '56 Red Tip....there isn't a "better shave" for me to chase....there's nothing "wanting". I'll keep buying razors, but I'm not looking for a better shave.

I agree with this! The stainless steel razors are a nice addition to the DE arsenal, but they're not necessarily better shavers. I like the newly manufactured razors, and I like the old ones. Variety is good.

37 1,731