11-12-2013, 02:34 PM
User Info
Yesterday I inquired directly of Penhaligons regarding their current soap situation, and here's the response I received today, November 12, 2013:

Dear Gary,
Thank you very much for your mail.
Unfortunately we are discontinuing the English Fern Shaving soap, replaced by Sartorial.
We didn’t make a new production with the new formula as for Blenheim and Sartorial.
You will be able to purchase soap refills only for Blenheim Bouquet.
Thank you for your comprehension,
Yours Sincerely

Penhaligon's

24 1,151
 11-12-2013, 02:46 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Thanks for the info, Gary!

I don't understand why they won't make refills for the Sartorial. Huh

Regards.

25 4,640
 11-12-2013, 03:45 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Thanks for the info. I wonder why they would discontiue it.

45 3,955
 11-12-2013, 03:50 PM
User Info
Thanks for the update, Gary.
They can supply refills for the BB but not the Sartorial, eh?
Sounds like a good business plan to me. Crazy!!!!!

31 4,957
 11-12-2013, 05:06 PM
  • JaDo
  • Dallas, TX
User Info
Bummer about the English Fern. I really enjoy that scent. I was hopeful that they would have made the soap with the new formulation.

6 235
 11-12-2013, 06:14 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(11-12-2013, 02:34 PM)brothers Wrote: Unfortunately we are discontinuing the English Fern Shaving soap...

Disappointing news!

(11-12-2013, 02:34 PM)brothers Wrote: You will be able to purchase soap refills only for Blenheim Bouquet.

Oh no, I better buy the bowl while I can!

91 17,851
 11-12-2013, 08:20 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
With the Sartorial , they are following the Creed way : buy the soap and bowl , but not refill.

86 7,123
 11-13-2013, 12:32 AM
User Info
(11-12-2013, 08:20 PM)Teiste Wrote: With the Sartorial , they are following the Creed way : buy the soap and bowl , but not refill.

Might be a production thing. All the Sartorial soaps go to the bowls for now, but will be able to produce refills next production run, while BB refills might not be from the latest formulation or production run.
Just a thought.

0 57
 11-13-2013, 04:10 AM
User Info
(11-13-2013, 12:32 AM)Flash G Wrote:
(11-12-2013, 08:20 PM)Teiste Wrote: With the Sartorial , they are following the Creed way : buy the soap and bowl , but not refill.

Might be a production thing. All the Sartorial soaps go to the bowls for now, but will be able to produce refills next production run, while BB refills might not be from the latest formulation or production run.
Just a thought.

I tend to think you might be correct. It would make sense, if all of the bowls are identical, just the name in gold on the lid. I really hope the BB refills are the new formulation, right now. If anyone is buying a BB refill from anywhere, they should make sure the seller confirms the new formula.

24 1,151
 11-13-2013, 07:55 AM
  • jfmii
  • Pittsburgh PA
User Info
(11-13-2013, 04:10 AM)brothers Wrote:
(11-13-2013, 12:32 AM)Flash G Wrote:

Just a thought.

I tend to think you might be correct. It would make sense, if all of the bowls are identical, just the name in gold on the lid. I really hope the BB refills are the new formulation, right now. If anyone is buying a BB refill from anywhere, they should make sure the seller confirms the new formula.
Thank you for the information. What is the difference between the new and old formulation for BB.

19 414
 11-13-2013, 08:31 AM
User Info
Old = bad; new = good

Sorry to sound flip. They used to contain tallow, and were the best. They gave in to political pressure and reformulated, but stupidly forgot to make sure the new stuff actually lathered! This is the "old" (above). A few months ago they reformulated the reformulation and that's the "new". Happily, it actually works quite well. I apologize for not remembering the primary different ingredients in the new formula. I can't get to it right now, to look at the box.

24 1,151
 11-13-2013, 10:00 AM
User Info
(11-13-2013, 07:55 AM)jfmii Wrote:
(11-13-2013, 04:10 AM)brothers Wrote:
(11-13-2013, 12:32 AM)Flash G Wrote: Might be a production thing. All the Sartorial soaps go to the bowls for now, but will be able to produce refills next production run, while BB refills might not be from the latest formulation or production run.
Just a thought.

Thank you for the information. What is the difference between the new and old formulation for BB.

Joe, just to add to what Gary has stated above, the "new" BB soap, like the new Sartorial, is white in colour and without engravings. The previous formulations were peach coloured. Just to mention though that the duds(made by the previous soap maker) carry the inscription "PENHALIGON'S". However, before the last company went in to liquidation, they did have a newer, very good formulation out of both the English Fern and the Blenheim Bouquet. These soaps carry the "English Fern" and "BLENHEIM BOUQUET" inscriptions. This is the EF that's still available as a refill only.

31 4,957
 11-15-2013, 03:54 AM
  • jfmii
  • Pittsburgh PA
User Info
(11-13-2013, 10:00 AM)Optometrist Wrote:
(11-13-2013, 07:55 AM)jfmii Wrote:
(11-13-2013, 04:10 AM)brothers Wrote: I tend to think you might be correct. It would make sense, if all of the bowls are identical, just the name in gold on the lid. I really hope the BB refills are the new formulation, right now. If anyone is buying a BB refill from anywhere, they should make sure the seller confirms the new formula.

Joe, just to add to what Gary has stated above, the "new" BB soap, like the new Sartorial, is white in colour and without engravings. The previous formulations were peach coloured. Just to mention though that the duds(made by the previous soap maker) carry the inscription "PENHALIGON'S". However, before the last company went in to liquidation, they did have a newer, very good formulation out of both the English Fern and the Blenheim Bouquet. These soaps carry the "English Fern" and "BLENHEIM BOUQUET" inscriptions. This is the EF that's still available as a refill only.
Thanks for you for the information.

19 414
 03-11-2014, 09:45 PM
  • Nero
  • Spending my way to profitability
  • le montagne
User Info
(11-13-2013, 10:00 AM)Optometrist Wrote: Joe, just to add to what Gary has stated above, the "new" BB soap, like the new Sartorial, is white in colour and without engravings. The previous formulations were peach coloured. Just to mention though that the duds(made by the previous soap maker) carry the inscription "PENHALIGON'S". However, before the last company went in to liquidation, they did have a newer, very good formulation out of both the English Fern and the Blenheim Bouquet. These soaps carry the "English Fern" and "BLENHEIM BOUQUET" inscriptions. This is the EF that's still available as a refill only.

Sorry to bump a few month old thread, but this is the first I've read of anyone saying the "refill" for the EF is actually a good formulation and has the "English Fern" inscription. Anyone else have experience with such a formulation?

49 1,738