11-13-2013, 10:33 AM
  • warhawk
  • Beautiful NorthWest Florida
User Info
Hi Gents: Hope all is well with you and your families. As a big fan of Semogue brushes. . . my very 1st real brush was the 620 and I still love and use it. I also own the 1438, 610, SOC, SOC 2012 SE, TSN 2012 LE. And I love all of them.

On a side note... I own three badgers. I own the beautiful M&F L7, Simpson Berkeley, and ER 150 w/ TGN. I enjoy all three.

So... if you own a Semogue badger brush, I would love to hear your experience. I plan on purchasing one after Christmas but would like to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance for your responses.

WARHAWK

12 327
 11-13-2013, 10:47 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Ok , what do you want to know about the Semogue badger hair ?

-Selected Silvertip : top notch hair.The best of the Silvertip badger hairs , like shavemac's D01 silvertip.The brushes are densely packed with this hair.Good backbone and flow with extra soft tips when have been used frequently.

-Regular Silvertip : good silvertip hair.The HD 2040 and 730 have extra hair.A little bit floppy due to the kind of hair a tall lofts.Soft tips too , and the tips arent as white as the D01.

-Two band : the current one has a lof of backbone ans scrubby tips.The tips are yellow , not white.However , the new batches used in the Barbear Classico LE and the new SOC have whiter tips , softer (not like silvertip or selected silvertip) and good flow and backbone.The new two band hair I have been using in a limited horn handle brush , is like Manchurian badger used by Simpson.

-Best badger : I only have used one in the past , and its a valuable brush , like the Edwin Jagger best badger.A little bit floppy for my taste , and the tips arent as soft as silvertip but softer than pure badger.

-Pure badger : I have a brush made by Semogue for Antiga Barbearia de Bairro which has black badger on it.Good backbone and the tips are scratchy , like most pure badgers are.

Hope this helps.

86 7,123
 11-13-2013, 10:50 AM
User Info
Thank you for an informative review of Semogue badger hair grades that is much appreciated by all of us who are avid Semogue fans.

0 3,341
 11-13-2013, 10:55 AM
User Info
Teiste, the new SOC two-band currently being made is different? Do you have an idea when this happened? I owned an SOC probably made a year or two ago and it had more yellow tips and was very scrubby with very strong backbone (too much for me). If it has changed, I might give it another try.

47 1,270
 11-13-2013, 10:56 AM
  • warhawk
  • Beautiful NorthWest Florida
User Info
Hi Teiste: Thanks for the helpful info. Do you have a favorite badger from Semogue?

WARHAWK

12 327
 11-13-2013, 11:00 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(11-13-2013, 10:56 AM)warhawk Wrote: Hi Teiste: Thanks for the helpful info. Do you have a favorite badger from Semogue?

WARHAWK

Yes , the 2010 LE with Selected Silvertip and the 2013 LE foroafeitado with Selected Silvertip and horn handle .However , the new two band badger hair used in the limited horn handle edition is very good too.

(11-13-2013, 10:55 AM)kentclark Wrote: Teiste, the new SOC two-band currently being made is different? Do you have an idea when this happened? I owned an SOC probably made a year or two ago and it had more yellow tips and was very scrubby with very strong backbone (too much for me). If it has changed, I might give it another try.

For what I understand , that hair it the same one used in the 2011 LE finest badger 1 and 2.
The current batches has a new two band hair , like the one used in the Barbear Classico edition , but also depends where do you get it from too (store , I mean).Im sure than the Portuguese stores have the new SOC brushes with the new batch of two band hair.You can always ask Leon (Bruno) about that.

86 7,123
 11-13-2013, 11:07 AM
User Info
Thanks,T. I'll have to look into that.

47 1,270
 11-13-2013, 12:17 PM
User Info
I have a SOC 2-band and SOC LE mixed knot, which half boar half 2-band.
As Teiste mentioned, the 2-band is a bit scratchy. It tamed down after about 30 lathers. What did the trick, I think, was I used the terracotta lid of a il-coloniali bowl to do the lathering in it. It has a slight abrasive texture.
I like the brush as it has good backbone and good flow through. The scritch is felt now if I apply pressure on circular strokes. It is within acceptable levels for me.

But my TGN 2-band knot, in comparison, has much softer tips.
As for the mixed not, it has a "faint hint of scritch" and I think it i comes from the badger hair in it.

I would say it is slightly more scritchy than my Simpson Duke 2 in best.
I should add that in the past 3 months I have been in "travel" mode having moved to Prague from California. I had to take a limited subset of my shaving gear and the brushes I took with me were my 3 SOC (boar, 2-band, mixed), Frank Shaving Synthetic and my Aluminum Rubberset with TGN 2-band finest knot. I use the SOC 2-band most of the time now that it is broken in.

6 808
 11-13-2013, 02:24 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I have only used the SOC 2-band and sold it due to too much scritch for my personal taste. This Summer when Bruno was having a sale I asked if the current SOC badger brushes were any softer than what I had experienced and if so I would buy another to try. Bruno replied that the SOC still had the same hair as when I had purchased a year earlier. I am interested in trying the silvertip at a lower loft, but haven't jumped on any of the LE brushes yet (I've been waiting for my buddy T to post a review and now that he has, its too late).

The SOC 2012SE was also too scritchy, but not a pure badger knot.

127 2,375
 11-13-2013, 04:43 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(11-13-2013, 02:24 PM)blzrfn Wrote: I have only used the SOC 2-band and sold it due to too much scritch for my personal taste. This Summer when Bruno was having a sale I asked if the current SOC badger brushes were any softer than what I had experienced and if so I would buy another to try. Bruno replied that the SOC still had the same hair as when I had purchased a year earlier. I am interested in trying the silvertip at a lower loft, but haven't jumped on any of the LE brushes yet (I've been waiting for my buddy T to post a review and now that he has, its too late).

The SOC 2012SE was also too scritchy, but not a pure badger knot.

If you find the SOC 2-Band has too much scritch, than the Semogue Horn Selected Silvertip should be just what the doctor ordered.

Regards.

25 4,635
 11-13-2013, 04:44 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I have a Semogue SOC 2 Band with Cherry handle. It is probably my favorite all around brush. It has great backbone but flow through is fantastic. Slightly scrubby but in a good way. For a little background info Semogue's are my favorite and I use several Semogue Boars often.

45 3,955
 11-14-2013, 12:18 AM
User Info
I have a 2011 LE Badger size 1 - the hair is about as close to a Rooney Finest that I've ever found.

12 1,243
 11-14-2013, 01:32 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(11-14-2013, 12:18 AM)insomniac Wrote: I have a 2011 LE Badger size 1 - the hair is about as close to a Rooney Finest that I've ever found.

I dont know if that's a compliment , or not...

86 7,123
 11-14-2013, 03:27 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(11-14-2013, 01:32 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(11-14-2013, 12:18 AM)insomniac Wrote: I have a 2011 LE Badger size 1 - the hair is about as close to a Rooney Finest that I've ever found.

I dont know if that's a compliment , or not...

I believe he meant it as such, Teiste, and in one way or the other it has to be, considering the prices that Rooney Finest go for nowadays. Wink

I do love my LE 2011 Size 2.

25 4,635
 11-15-2013, 02:56 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(11-13-2013, 10:47 AM)Teiste Wrote: Ok , what do you want to know about the Semogue badger hair ?

-Selected Silvertip : top notch hair.The best of the Silvertip badger hairs , like shavemac's D01 silvertip.The brushes are densely packed with this hair.Good backbone and flow with extra soft tips when have been used frequently.

-Regular Silvertip : good silvertip hair.The HD 2040 and 730 have extra hair.A little bit floppy due to the kind of hair a tall lofts.Soft tips too , and the tips arent as white as the D01.

-Two band : the current one has a lof of backbone ans scrubby tips.The tips are yellow , not white.However , the new batches used in the Barbear Classico LE and the new SOC have whiter tips , softer (not like silvertip or selected silvertip) and good flow and backbone.The new two band hair I have been using in a limited horn handle brush , is like Manchurian badger used by Simpson.

-Best badger : I only have used one in the past , and its a valuable brush , like the Edwin Jagger best badger.A little bit floppy for my taste , and the tips arent as soft as silvertip but softer than pure badger.

-Pure badger : I have a brush made by Semogue for Antiga Barbearia de Bairro which has black badger on it.Good backbone and the tips are scratchy , like most pure badgers are.

Hope this helps.

Wonderful synopsis of the badger hair grades currently used by Semogue, thanks Teiste!

91 17,823
 11-16-2013, 02:20 PM
User Info
(11-13-2013, 11:00 AM)Teiste Wrote: Yes , the 2010 LE with Selected Silvertip and the 2013 LE foroafeitado with Selected Silvertip and horn handle .However , the new two band badger hair used in the limited horn handle edition is very good too.

The who what ????

Link to purchase???

129 6,685
 11-16-2013, 03:44 PM
User Info
(11-16-2013, 02:20 PM)wingdo Wrote:
(11-13-2013, 11:00 AM)Teiste Wrote: Yes , the 2010 LE with Selected Silvertip and the 2013 LE foroafeitado with Selected Silvertip and horn handle .However , the new two band badger hair used in the limited horn handle edition is very good too.

The who what ????

Link to purchase???

I'm pretty sure that you have to email bruno(Leon) over at vintagescent.com in order to pick one of those up.

9 149
 11-16-2013, 10:42 PM
User Info
(11-13-2013, 10:33 AM)warhawk Wrote: So... if you own a Semogue badger brush, I would love to hear your experience. I plan on purchasing one after Christmas but would like to hear your thoughts.

All my badgers are from one of the three S's (Shavemac, Simpson and Semogue). I like a good deal of backbone, but still with fairly soft tips. With my den clearance continuing, my badgers are in short supply. That said, when making my choices, I usually reach for a Semogue.

Semogues in posession:
2011 TSN LE (Badger / Boar mix)
SOC SE (Badger /Boar mix)

Yeah, they have boar in them, but the badger has a perfect ratio which makes them soft but firm (if that makes sense). I prefer the knot on the SOC SE to our TSN knot.

SOC 2-band the perfect blend of firmness with gentle tips IMO

2010 LE Super Silvertip - A total winner. Enough backbone to use with soaps, but silky smooth. A total pampering brush.

I have one (hopefully two) Semogues en route to me, but the knots will be similar to the above all badgers.

I liked the SOC SE enough that I bought a second as a spare just in case I do something stupid with the first one. I didn't think there would be as many available as there turned out to be.

129 6,685