11-13-2013, 08:59 PM
User Info
Three beautiful Muhle V2 synthetic brushes:

[Image: iqlx.jpg]

From left to right: 23mm Black (large), 21mm Purist Karelian burl birch (medium), 25mm White (extra large).

If you haven't used one of these, you're missing out. They have the softest of tips, great backbone and dry very quickly.

From the top:

[Image: cwp6.jpg]

Notice the 21mm Purist brush in the middle has a larger knot than the 23mm Black brush on the left. I've purchased several 23mm Muhle synthetics as gifts and the knots are on the small side. The 21mm Purist performs like a 23mm brush.

An interesting facet of the Purist line is the knot can be unscrewed and replaced with Muhle knots in either best badger or silver tip:

[Image: bv6z.jpg]

If you're looking to acquire a Muhle synthetic, please consider the 21mm Purist edition over the standard brushes. They're beautiful and a pleasure to use.

Thanks for reading.

- Michael

21 459
 11-13-2013, 09:05 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Very nice brushes ... interesting twist with the Purist line!

Thanks for sharing.

102 17,672
 11-13-2013, 09:28 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Love the birch handle! Heart

Does the metal base and top dramatically increase the handle's weight?

The fact that the knots unscrew is pure genius! Tongue

Thanks for sharing Michael.

91 17,886
 11-13-2013, 10:19 PM
User Info
(11-13-2013, 09:28 PM)ben74 Wrote: Love the birch handle! Heart

Does the metal base and top dramatically increase the handle's weight?

The fact that the knots unscrew is pure genius! Tongue

Thanks for sharing Michael.

It's heavier than the regular resin handles, however the weight is nicely balanced. It feels very good in the hand, especially with the top finger resting against the top metal lip. The 21mm Purist synthetic knot actually feels superior and less stiff than the standard 23mm knot.

The finishing is beautiful. I think it's the best value Muhle brush in their line-up. It's a must have for your already impressive collection.

21 459
 11-14-2013, 12:28 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
The Purist is truly a beautiful brush.The 25 mm one is THE synthetic brush.I need to try a better brush than that in the synthetic world. Maybe the new Simpson Chubby 2 synthetic ?

86 7,124
 11-14-2013, 04:54 AM
User Info
I have the 23mm STF and was thinking for a 23mm brush it felt smaller? From the pictures it looks like it is. The 21mm black fibre felt about the same size in use as the 23mm STF? The 22mm Whipped Dog brush feels larger than the 23mm stf classic in use also. Using the same fibres you would think the Purist 21mm would be smaller than the 23mm Classic. It must be all in the way it is made that makes it bloom differently. Looking down from the top picture the density seems similar between the classic and purist. I am definitely going to have to try the 25mm STF. I have a 24mm Whipped Dog on the way as I have the 22mm WD and really like it. Prior to using the synthetics I used 20mm TGN Finest Badger with the loft at about 48mm and that worked out well for me. It seems like in the synthetics a person can use a larger knot because the synthetics don't bloom as much and it seems you have more control with the larger knots. I also have a 28mm Pur-Tech synthetic on the way. That will be the largest synthetic knot I have tried so far, 24mm being the biggest prior to this. It is a Chubby 2 type handle with 53mm loft. Although from what I have read on the forums the FS lofts are not as advertised, kind of all over the place, so I will have to wait until it comes to see. I thought I would try the FS as a pre-cursor to the new Simpson Synthetic to see if I like a synthetic knot that large. But based on the Muhle findings it probably won't be a valid comparison.
Anyways thanks for posting the pictures of the Muhle's. It was revealing about the variance in the blooms of supposedly the same stf knots.

18 201
 11-14-2013, 05:26 AM
User Info
(11-14-2013, 05:01 AM)jsab Wrote: I have been using a 23 faux horn
Muehle synthetic and only that one
Brush.

Am I missing out on anything else?
It seems to be nice...but I don't have
Any other brush comparisons.

Don't get me wrong, the Muhle 23mm STF is a great brush and works quite well. If you are satisfied with it that is all that matters. I just changed from the badger to synthetic knots and have been experimenting with different brand and sizes of synthetics and trying to make up my mind on what size, brand to use. I am sort of a minimalist and will probably narrow my synthetics down to 2 or 3 brushes, once I see what works out best. I bowl lather with Proraso and TOBS creams exclusively. I head and face shave every other day. Right now I have a Muhle 23mm SFT in olive wood and a 22mm Whipped Dog w/Ivory resin handle. I just ordered but haven't received the 28mm FS and WD 24mm. I seem to be going up in knot size for now to see how that works out. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the newer generation synthetics IMHO.

18 201
 11-14-2013, 05:31 AM
User Info
I've got a 23mm Silvertip V2 and love it.
It easily face or bowl lathers, is silky soft but loads of back bone.
I guess as a synthetic they can manufacture in all the perfect qualities of one hair and duplicate it 20,000 times

Dries really fast,

0 50
 11-14-2013, 01:29 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Its very interesting how many folks are truly enjoying the new Muhle STF v 2.0 and the black Fibre ones. Seems that in the wet shaving world not everything is badger hair brushes !

Muhle have done a brilliant job offering many handles styles with this new synthetic fibre , and its something that many of us truly appreciate.

86 7,124
 11-14-2013, 03:32 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(11-14-2013, 12:28 AM)Teiste Wrote: The Purist is truly a beautiful brush.The 25 mm one is THE synthetic brush.I need to try a better brush than that in the synthetic world. Maybe the new Simpson Chubby 2 synthetic ?

Teiste, in your opinion the 25mm XL is the way to go when it comes to Muhle synthetic brushes? I had the impression your favorite was the Medium 21mm.

Regards.

25 4,642