11-14-2013, 02:54 AM
User Info
What is your opinion about wet shaving by young guys who start?
Did you or do you teach your son(s) shaving?
Are your sons interested in a traditional shaving?

0 4
 11-14-2013, 07:24 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I taught both of my sons how to wet shave. One of them uses a brush and shave cream with a Schick Injector, the other lost his way and uses canned gel and a cartridge razor.

My Dad taught me to wet shave when I was 15 and that's all I've ever done.

173 23,555
 11-14-2013, 07:28 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I'm currently in the process of teaching my oldest, 14 years of age, the process of wet shaving.

He's using a Bic Sensitive for now (thanks, Johnny for inspiring me to get a bag of these a while back for travel purposes). This razor is very mild and forgiving ... perfect for mild stubble. When/if he shows further interest, he will be introduced to the other razors I have set aside for the boys.

He's using gel in a tube right now, but the next step is brush & cream/soap ...

It's a work in progress. Biggrin

102 17,671
 11-14-2013, 07:42 AM
User Info
My son is only 2 months old, but I plan on teaching him some day.

10 2,062
 11-14-2013, 08:22 AM
User Info
My almost 15yo is wet shaving and really enjoying it. Shaves once every 2-3 weeks. Upper lip and a bit of chin fluff only at this stage. It's all over in a few minutes.

He shaves with me and we have a bit of fun. The ritual, the banter. He tries out a cream or a soap, a balm etc. I try to keep it fun. Let him explore and discover things himself.

His first shave was with my birth year Gillette Slim (1966) set on 1. Since then he's mostly used a beaten up Super Speed or my Merkur 34c HD loaded with a Derby blade.

I have 2 more sons aged 12 and 10. Looking forward to piecing some goodies together for them in the near future.

0 221
 11-14-2013, 08:57 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
No sons here, but my 11 year old daughter has is quite good at whipping up a lather and has applied some to her face and scraped it off with a bladeless DE. My 19 month old daughter likes rubbing my shaving brushes on her and/or my face and even makes a funny face when she picks one that's a little prickly.

127 2,395
 11-14-2013, 09:09 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
I have no kids yet, but if and when I do, I certainly will teach them how to properly wetshave.

No electric razors or 20 blade cartridges (or whatever they come up with by then) will ever again enter my house!

25 4,642
 11-14-2013, 09:12 AM
User Info
I just taught my son to shave about 2 weeks ago. I set him up with a DE razor. He was hesitant to use one...afraid he'd cut himself...but I told him not to worry.

I set him up with:

Gillette Slim (set at 2 for now)
Personna Supers (I'll have him try Voskhods later)
Vulfix 660S super badger brush (Sheds as bad as my lab, so he can use it until it's bald)
Cetaphil bar soap
Axe Shaving Cream (soon to be replaced, this stuff burned both of us)
Nivea ASB - I can't recall the flavor, but it was in the plastic container.
generic razor/brush holder

I still need to get a mug, some AS lotion, and perhaps a second tube of cream...maybe some CO Bigelow. I'll wait a couple years and then introduce him to soaps.

I told him he's welcome to use any type of razor he wants, but I'm only going to keep him stocked with DE and wet shaving supplies until he's out of college. Anything else he has to buy himself. He was concerned it a geeky thing, but I assured him it was a rather masculine thing. He thinks the slim is pretty cool and the cost of the blades certainly appeals to him, particularly since I'm buying. I'm happy to have someone else in the house help me use up all these supplies, even if he is only shaving ever couple of weeks now.

My daughter actually expressed interest in shaving with a DE, but she's not interested in using a brush. I may get her set up with a Lady Gillette and a tube of KMF.

0 836
 11-14-2013, 09:15 AM
User Info
My son is 12 so its coming soon....I need to teach myself first!!

0 80
 11-14-2013, 10:45 AM
User Info
My son is thirteen and I plan on teaching him when he hits puberty. He is fascinated by the whole process as he watches me shave in the early morning some days. I am already conditioning him as a good father would! Biggrin

75 20,884
 11-14-2013, 10:57 AM
User Info
I did a couple of weeks ago, his stepdad taught him on an electric razor. I have now taught him proper shaving.

0 87
 11-15-2013, 11:42 AM
User Info
I plan on teaching my son the way my dad taught me. He cut a thin piece of plastic to look like a DE blade and placed it in a gillette. It made me feel manly to scrape off the lather, then when I began to shave, I understood blade angle fairly well. kind of a Mr. Miyagi thing.

Max
PS thanks for referring me to TSN, Celestino!

0 23
 11-15-2013, 11:47 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(11-15-2013, 11:42 AM)wallacmb Wrote: I plan on teaching my son the way my dad taught me. He cut a thin piece of plastic to look like a DE blade and placed it in a gillette. It made me feel manly to scrape off the lather, then when I began to shave, I understood blade angle fairly well. kind of a Mr. Miyagi thing.

Max

Nice!

Welcome to The Shave Nook, Max. If you haven't already done so, check out the Introductions section, and consider telling us a little bit about yourself over there. Smile

102 17,671
 11-15-2013, 05:09 PM
User Info
I was a late bloomer, but I recently got my 25 year old started. He really likes it. I took him to Maggard Razor's store and he picked out an EJ89, a Simpson entry level brush and a blade sampler, along with some cream samples. He liked the Coates creams so I gave him some and he is doing well. I gave my 28 year old a gift certificate to Merz and he is waiting to use it when my wife and I visit him in Chicago next month. A great excuse for me to peruse a really neat store.

0 61
 11-15-2013, 06:34 PM
User Info
Yes, my son uses a bladeless GEM Junior with baton handle and a Semogue 1250.

47 1,270
 11-15-2013, 06:57 PM
  • JayPo007
  • Still making fire
  • Pottstown, PA- USA
User Info
While on vacation at the beach I shared a bathroom with my then 5 and 7 yo sons. They thought wet shaving was fantastic and insisted on joining in. The following Christmas I gave them each an Omega boar brush and vintage user grade razors, always blade less of course. Two years later, they are just as excited as I am to try new soaps. Several times a week I get knocking on the bathroom door with them asking "is today a shave day?!?" It's priceless.
It took me 15 years of miserable shaves before stumbling onto wet shaving. Keep it alive and pass it on.

1 129
 11-15-2013, 08:45 PM
User Info
(11-15-2013, 11:42 AM)wallacmb Wrote: I plan on teaching my son the way my dad taught me. He cut a thin piece of plastic to look like a DE blade and placed it in a gillette. It made me feel manly to scrape off the lather, then when I began to shave, I understood blade angle fairly well. kind of a Mr. Miyagi thing.

Max

* Max, it was my great pleasure, my friend! Great to have you hear and I look forward to seeing your wonderful pics in the SOTD thread!!! Biggrin

75 20,884
 11-16-2013, 05:03 PM
User Info
(11-15-2013, 08:45 PM)celestino Wrote: * Max, it was my great pleasure, my friend! Great to have you hear and I look forward to seeing your wonderful pics in the SOTD thread!!! Biggrin

Thanks Celestino, I will have to figure out how to do that!

and I will travel to that section, Ravi, thank you!

0 23
 11-16-2013, 06:57 PM
User Info
I have no kids yet (I'm only 22.) But when I do have my boys, I'll teach them how to wet shave. What they decide to do after that is up to them. I'm just happy I got a good start on this fairly early in my life.

2 396
 11-16-2013, 08:34 PM
User Info
(11-16-2013, 06:57 PM)MegaBullfrog Wrote: I have no kids yet (I'm only 22.) But when I do have my boys, I'll teach them how to wet shave. What they decide to do after that is up to them. I'm just happy I got a good start on this fairly early in my life.

* Great to see you young lads starting so early. I wish I had had the insight or help to have done it, then. However, I am more than making up for it, now! Biggrin
Congratulations and enjoy the journey!

75 20,884