11-14-2013, 04:14 AM
User Info
I've been watching Cricket all my life. More than any other sport, it's the one I love to watch.

Today, one of the greatest ever players in the game will start his final Test Match. Sachin Tendulkar (a name that may be unknown to most Americans) is widely regarded as the best batsman of his era and he ranks in the top three of all time.

[Image: Silver-Banyan-Tree-for-Indian-batsman-Sa...ardens.jpg]

For more than 20 years, he's been representing his country - he started playing for India when he was 16.

Here's a good article about him: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/24934482

The good thing about the fact that it's a Test match that he's playing today is that:

A) It's the best form of Cricket (as far as I'm concerned)
B) He will probably get two innings, so people will get a nice chance to see him on his final outing.

Anyway, it the end of an era. I'm sad to see it end, even though I knew it had to end sometime. He gave his all every time he stepped on the field - sometimes the performances were phenomenal, sometimes the results were not. Sometimes the fans loved him, at others they vilified him. Through it all, he maintained his humility, devotion and never changed his personality.

The fact that over a billion people idolized him didn't seem to change him. That's a rare trait.

37 1,731
 11-14-2013, 04:37 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
The best player since Bradman.

91 17,611
 11-14-2013, 04:58 AM
User Info
Ben -

Certainly based on the stats, that's true. I hate to compare players across generations - the game and the opposition changes so much. That's why I stated above that he's probably among the top three of all time - Bradman, Tendulkar and Richards or Lara, I'd say.

Anyway, it's been a pleasure to watch him play all these years. I've only seen a few innings of Bradman's play and I caught the tail-end of Richards' career. All of them were a pleasure to watch.

37 1,731
 11-14-2013, 06:10 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I don't follow cricket, but am aware that Sachin Tendulkar is a 'larger than life' legend in the Indian subcontinent.

He has made significant accomplishments in his 40 years of life so far!

102 17,574
 11-14-2013, 10:38 AM
User Info
Thanks for sharing the info, Yohann!
I must plead ignorance as I have never heard of this gentleman as I have never really been exposed to cricket. Blush

74 20,790
 11-14-2013, 01:24 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I am just starting to understand Cricket a bit after casual conversations with my Indian coworkers at lunch.

I'll have to see where I can stream some online.

10 1,858