11-14-2013, 06:30 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I'm considering buying a custom-made Shavemac brush with a flat top knot, but I'm undecided on which badger hair to get. I currently own a Shavemac Beehive with a finest badger knot, which I like very much, but I'd like to try something different. Accordingly, I'd like opinions on how Shavemac silver tip and DO1 3-band compare with Shavemac finest in terms of backbone, softness and overall face feel. If I read the section on quality of badger hair on the Shavemac website correctly I'd say that finest would be between silver tip and DO1 3-band in terms of backbone and softness, with silver tip being the softest and having the least backbone of the three and DO1 3-band being the least soft and having the most backbone of the three.

5 760
 11-14-2013, 01:24 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I wrote this long time ago about my experience with the shavemac's badger hair grades :
http://shavenook.com/thread-shavemac-badger-hair-grades

If money of not an impediment , I will go for the D01 3 band.However , the finest , is for most of shavemac's lovers , the best value for the quality that it offers.

86 7,124
 11-14-2013, 01:43 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Teiste, thanks very much, it's exactly what I was looking for. Based on your recommendation earlier this year I purchased a Beehive with finest badger and it has become one of my favoured brushes. For an extreme flat top, which badger do you think would work best? I really like the finest, but I want to try something different, so perhaps it should be the DO1 3-band. I'm also thinking of using pure, but your comments regarding its scritch concerns me. I propose to keep the knot small, 20mm with a loft of 42mm or possibly 44mm; what do you think?

5 760
 11-14-2013, 01:45 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I have tried their D01 in 3 and 2 band and their Finest grade. All three make for a fantastic experience, but if I had to choose one it would be D01 2-band. The Finest is very enjoyable with only a hint of scritch. The D01 3-band is pure luxury with a high density and very soft tips, but because of the density it can be a bit of a lather hog. The D01 2-band has plenty of backbone without being so dense that it hogs lather. There is also a hint of scritch in the 2-band, but it isn't enough to bother me and I am very sensitive so would probably be acceptable by most.

127 2,393
 11-14-2013, 01:47 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(11-14-2013, 01:43 PM)Rufus Wrote: Teiste, thanks very much, it's exactly what I was looking for. Based on your recommendation earlier this year I purchased a Beehive with finest badger and it has become one of my favoured brushes. For an extreme flat top, which badger do you think would work best? I really like the finest, but I want to try something different, so perhaps it should be the DO1 3-band. I'm also thinking of using pure, but your comments regarding its scritch concerns me. I propose to keep the knot small, 20mm with a loft of 42mm or possibly 44mm; what do you think?

Rufus , I have never tried an extrema flat from shavemac.I have used a flat top finest badger : http://shavenook.com/thread-shavemac-fin...aped-brush and I truly regret that I sold it.Oh well , I will go for that brush , if you face latherer , since its tips are very , very soft and its such a pleasure to use it. Dont get me wrong , the D01 3 band is a great hair too , but some scritch is always there with that kind of hair.

86 7,124
 12-02-2013, 01:56 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Well, as a belated birthday present to myself (my birthday is 22 Nov.) I ordered a custom-made extreme flat top from Bernd this evening. I decided to go with the finest silver tip badger and to keep the knot small at 19mm X 42mm because of the shape. I chose the silver tip because I'm finding that I prefer the feel of brushes such as my Kent BK 4 and Rooney Heritage Emillion 1 over my Simpson's Chubby 1 in best and M&F 1/2 in Blonde, which often feel brick-like to me. For the handle I choose the 412 shape and the Ivory imitation. I let you know what I think of the extreme flat top in due course.

5 760
 12-02-2013, 04:18 PM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
Bryan-This weekend I ordered a Vie Long silver tip flat top and a horse hair fan shaped brush. Something tells me we're onto something. My flat top is 24 mm knot and 45 mm loft (huge). We'll compare notes in another month!

19 700
 12-02-2013, 04:49 PM
User Info
(11-14-2013, 01:45 PM)blzrfn Wrote: I have tried their D01 in 3 and 2 band and their Finest grade. All three make for a fantastic experience, but if I had to choose one it would be D01 2-band. The Finest is very enjoyable with only a hint of scritch. The D01 3-band is pure luxury with a high density and very soft tips, but because of the density it can be a bit of a lather hog. The D01 2-band has plenty of backbone without being so dense that it hogs lather. There is also a hint of scritch in the 2-band, but it isn't enough to bother me and I am very sensitive so would probably be acceptable by most.

This covers what I was about to write. I sold my finest (TSN 01/100) not long after I bought it, and I am only holding on to my D01 silvertip (TSN 02/100) as it is a TSN anniversary brush. The D01 2-band is however a real keeper IMO.

129 6,685
 12-06-2013, 11:10 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
As mentioned above, I ordered my custom-made flat top from Shavemac the evening of Monday, 2 Dec.; would you believe that it showed up bright and early this morning? I've soaked it in warm water to prepare it for tomorrow's shave. Hats off to Bernd Blos and his staff for such exceptional service.

5 760
 12-07-2013, 08:06 AM
User Info
Photos please! Cool

31 1,800
 12-18-2013, 10:17 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(12-06-2013, 11:10 AM)Rufus Wrote: As mentioned above, I ordered my custom-made flat top from Shavemac the evening of Monday, 2 Dec.; would you believe that it showed up bright and early this morning? I've soaked it in warm water to prepare it for tomorrow's shave. Hats off to Bernd Blos and his staff for such exceptional service.

I hate to say this, but I'm finding my extreme flat-top a real challenge to lather with. I face lather exclusively and when I lather with this brush I feel as though I'm fighting the knot; there seems to be very little give around the perimeter of the knot. I find this particularly so when I lather with a circular motion; however, it is a bit better when I use a to-and-fro motion. I have tried altering the water content of the knot, but this hasn't helped. On my last try, the tenth, I significantly increased the amount of shaving cream I loaded and this helped noticeably, both in terms of the consistency of the lather and the quantity; nevertheless, the lathering experience is still not up to that of my 19 other brushes. I'm not ready to give up and I'll continue to persevere in breaking the code for lathering with an extreme flat-top. In closing I should add that I'm well pleased with the quality of the brush handle and the Silvertip knot, which makes me want to acquire a custom Shavemac with a Silvertip fan-shaped knot.

5 760
 12-28-2013, 01:26 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
At long last a few pictures of my flat-top. Still haven't mastered the little devil yet[Image: lGJwmSx.jpg][Image: uzuHvLh.jpg][Image: b8Ovpus.jpg]

5 760
 12-28-2013, 02:14 PM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
Rufus that Vie Long Flat Top that I bought from Gifts & Care at the start of December has the softest tips of all my brushes. This month my face lathering is only done with that brush, plus several boars that we're taking a test drive on. The Vie Long is very good, with no lathering issues nor break problems.

On the boar brushes, I've noticed on 1 Semogue (Italian Barber Limited Edition similar to #1305) what you've run into with your Shavemac. Could it be the density? The other boars are not as dense as this Semogue, and it's the one I have the hardest time face lathering with. All the Omega boars are working very well.

Over all the Flat Top has exceeded my expectations, as have the boars. Good luck with your hunt.

19 700
 12-28-2013, 05:09 PM
User Info
Bryan, that brush looks wonderful!
Are you finding it too dense? Is that what might be causing the issue with the lather?

75 20,883
 12-28-2013, 08:45 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(12-28-2013, 05:09 PM)celestino Wrote: Bryan, that brush looks wonderful!
Are you finding it too dense? Is that what might be causing the issue with the lather?

It could be a density issue or perhaps the loft is too short for me. I've never thought that the Shavemac 3-band Silvertip knots could be too dense, however.

5 760
 12-29-2013, 02:55 AM
User Info
My Shavemac Silvertip knot is fairly dense: 24/50 bulb. But I suspect that the issue is more to do with that very low loft; 42mm is 42mm after all. Still, it's an interesting experiment. I've heard very good things about the value of the Vie Long silvertip grade, and I would expect that it's less packed than Shavemac's - unless you give a specific request to Bernd, of course.

[Image: xkvcdy.jpg]

[Image: vs05z7.jpg]

0 141
 01-04-2014, 09:54 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(12-28-2013, 08:45 PM)Rufus Wrote:
(12-28-2013, 05:09 PM)celestino Wrote: Bryan, that brush looks wonderful!

It could be a density issue or perhaps the loft is too short for me. I've never thought that the Shavemac 3-band Silvertip knots could be too dense, however.

I think I have now got the hang of face lathering with this brush. I don't feel as though I'm fighting the knot now; perhaps all the knot needed was a break in period. I'm happy to say that I'm now enjoying the brush. It is not one of my top performers at this point and of my 20 brushes I'd put it in the middle of the pack for lathering; however,this pretty good as my rule is to dispose of any brush which does not satisfy me in terms of performance regardless of aesthetic or ergonomic appeal.

5 760