11-14-2013, 07:38 AM
User Info
I am trying explore some of the high end brushes and I come across this especially with Simpsons and Thater - why is one preferred over another?

What is the best for soap + face latherer? I would seem like with bulb, the hair on the outer rim would almost never get any action while loading - but with creating lather - especially in the paint stroke fashion - it would be good?

Guide me folks....
Thanks

4 179
 11-14-2013, 07:48 AM
User Info
From my personal experience:

Fans are better for face lathering, bulbs are better for bowl lathering. Think of the surface that they are in contact with when building up a lather - your face is a relatively flat surface, a bowl is a round surface. Ideally you'd want as much of the brush in contact with the product as possible when building a lather.

I also think fans are better at soaps - more of the brush is in contact with the puck which makes it easier/faster to put the product on the brush and have it evenly distributed.

All-in-all I prefer fan-shaped brushes because I am primarily a soap user who face lathers - and even when I've used creams, I apply the cream to my face and lather there.

12 1,243
 11-14-2013, 07:56 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I prefer fan to bulb, although I can manage well with both.

I face lather with soaps, and the fan configuration seems to allow for better contact, lathering, and release ...

102 17,670
 11-14-2013, 08:25 AM
User Info
Thanks guys...

4 179
 11-14-2013, 08:59 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
They both have their place in my rotation, but typically fan shapes are the preferred knot for face lathering. Regarding soap, while shape does have an impact (both actually have their pros), the hair grade and loft, for me, has much more impact than shape. Thicker hair like 2-band and/or shorter loft will usually perform exceptionally well with soaps.

29 1,581
 11-14-2013, 09:18 AM
User Info
Bulbs has less total hair volume than fans since the outer hairs on the knot are shorter. This has several incontrovertible effects:
  • A Bulb has more backbone
  • A Fan will splay more and cover more of the face when splayed
These features can either be desirable or undesirable for a given density, hair type and knot size depending on lathering style (bowl vs face).

I hope this helps you understand and assess the general characteristics.

1 255
 11-14-2013, 10:32 AM
User Info
I like fans for small knots, < 20 mm, and bulbs for larger knots.

2 697
 11-14-2013, 10:42 AM
User Info
I actually prefer a hybrid fan/bulb shape. I find these to be the best, but will probably take a bulb over a fan in most cases as the bulb doesn't splay as much as a fan as I face-lather, exclusively!

75 20,883
 11-14-2013, 10:55 AM
User Info
(11-14-2013, 10:42 AM)celestino Wrote: I actually prefer a hybrid fan/bulb shape.

Me too. The best of both worlds.

184 12,003
 11-14-2013, 12:57 PM
User Info
Fans also feel larger than they are when face lathering.

I face lather exclusively and I checked awhile back, all of my badgers are either fans or hybrids. The only bulbs I have are in synthetics and even some of those are hybrids, or so they appear to be.

32 6,309
 11-14-2013, 01:28 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I prefer hybrids , but between those two styles , I will go for fan. Why ? Because I face latherer with circular strokes and I prefer it over the bulb or extra bulb ones.However , the fan shaped knot have to be under 52 mm , specially if the badger hair used in silvertip , because if not , would splay too much , and I dont like that either.

86 7,123
 11-14-2013, 01:37 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I enjoy having both in rotation. I think if I were designing a brush from scratch I would go with a fan knot, but when purchasing I don't discount a brush for having one shape or another.

127 2,390
 11-14-2013, 05:25 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
For me the hybrid shaped knot is the best and offers the preferred attributes of both bulb and fan.

In my experience of bulb vs fan...

(Of course my generalisations below are dependent on comparing the same hair grade).

The compact shape of Bulb can provide for more backbone than Fan.

The compact shape of the Bulb can provide for a more focused presentation on the face compared to Fan, which can translate into more sensation.

The Fan can feel larger on the face as the knot construction is more yielding, which can translate into improved flow through.

91 17,856
 11-14-2013, 05:32 PM
User Info
I only face lather.... And most of my brushes are bulb shaped. Only thing to consider is that you size up one size with a bulb to get similar face contact surface, e.g. I use a size one Thäter in fan and a size two for a bulb...
Simpson 2 bands come all in bulb shape ... Provides great backbone with wonderful soft tips... Angel

31 1,554
 11-14-2013, 05:53 PM
User Info
I prefer hybrids then bulbs for badgers, fans or flat tops for boars.
Synthetics it is all over the map (hybrids, bulbs, fans and flat tops).

1 2,827
 11-14-2013, 06:29 PM
User Info
Quote:I prefer hybrids then bulbs for badgers, fans or flat tops for boars.

Can I get an example of a Hybrid knot?

Thanks,
Jesse

10 518
 11-14-2013, 07:20 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(11-14-2013, 06:29 PM)moz68 Wrote:
Quote:I prefer hybrids then bulbs for badgers, fans or flat tops for boars.

Can I get an example of a Hybrid knot?

Thanks,
Jesse

I would imagine a Simpsons in best like a Duke or Chubby would be considered a hybrid knot (at least to me). Others my chime in here and set me straight if I'm off on this...

29 1,581
 11-14-2013, 07:28 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
i prefer fulb.

135 1,947
 11-14-2013, 07:31 PM
User Info
Quote:I would imagine a Simpsons in best like a Duke or Chubby would be considered a hybrid knot (at least to me). Others my chime in here and set me straight if I'm off on this...

Thanks Giorgio, I like your Avatar.

10 518
 11-14-2013, 07:47 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Fan vs Bulb...

[Image: ONApWGo.png]

And just for fun, here was my short review on the Thaters above (from early 2012)...

Quote:Fan and Bulb

I am a HUGE FAN of the FAN!

The FAN feels HUGE on the face. It is extremely soft, as is the BULB, but the BULB feels more structured and more concentrated on the face.
The FAN reminds my of my Rooney Heritage XL series (not the current hair, but the one considered to feel "gel-like" on the face).
Neither the FAN or BULB are as dense as the XL, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Less density (IMO) = greater flow through.

I used the FAN this morning with Vulfix Persian Musk Shaving Cream.
I usually shower shave when going to work in the morning. Hence, I usually also face lather.
So, this morning I did both.
I held the FAN under the shower for a few moments and it sucked up the water, but retained a compact shape.
I loaded the FAN by dipping it in the pot of cream and commenced face lathering.
Well, the brush exploded on my face!
I love the feel of a big, luxuriously soft brush and this rated highly in that department.
The FAN allowed me to experience the "full" knot on my face rather than the focused centre section as with the BULB.
The FAN certainly splayed, but not in a way that would have made it "mop-like" as there is definitely some backbone to these brushes.
When first examining both brushes I was concerned that they may be akin to some Kent brushes I have used in the "lack of" backbone department.
But, that wasn't the case!
The focused nature of the BULB provides a little more backbone and subsequent "sensation" as opposed to the FAN.

Aesthetically, I'm no FAN (pun intended) of the handles on these brushes.
IMO they are totally uninspiring.
However, ergonomically I can't fault them.
The smaller diameter at the base, provides a more comfortable grip.
And the ring at the base provides a reassuring extra hold on the brush (which is important with all the slippery lather it produces!)
I prefer Thater's old logo and I'm sure these new logos will quickly fade with use (something I won't lament!).

In summary...
Thater has good flow through.
Thater is SOFT, among the softest tips I've experienced (but still a second to my XL).
Thater has backbone and density, but in measured doses.
That is, not excessive in either department.
The FAN displays less of both compared to the BULB, but...
The FAN is definitely my favourite!

Please note: If you enjoy a little "scritch" you are most likely going to be a Thater hater!

Funny how preferences and techniques develop or change... Biggrin

91 17,856