Poll: Pehaligon perfume to purchase?
 11-14-2013, 03:21 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
[Image: x9IHXcJ.png]

I recently finished a bottle of Penhaligons Juniper Sling. I purchased it on vacation in Paris some time ago and while I enjoyed it I wasn't inclined to acquire another.

[Image: w4Cuw4p.png]

Instead, I replaced it with a bottle of Penaligons Sartorial, which I prefer to the Juniper Sling. However, I'm not sure that it will rank among my favourites.

[Image: A1eVwMx.png]

The only other Pehanilgons EDT I've owned is Endymion, which is definitely my favourite of the three that I have tried so far.

[Image: sxe8Ulc.png]

I'm now contemplating another scent from Pehaligons. My leaning is towards there two classic scents, English Fern or Blenheim Bouquet.

[Image: 7ujoL3C.png] [Image: d2bEwEE.png]

I know there are many more varieties from Pehaligons to choose from, such as Opus 1870, Hamman Bouquet and Eau de Verveine (which particularly interests me for some reason - the thought of an Indian summer, I guess). However, I'm limited with what I can source here in Australia.

[Image: yZtIyUY.png]

I like the idea of another Penhaligons scent, as I'm less likely to encounter another person wearing it...

So, what is your favourite Phenaligons perfume (from their entire range)?

And which should I purchase next (from the limited range available in Australia)?

91 17,795
 11-14-2013, 03:24 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
English Fern AND Blenheim Bouquet IMHO, Sartorial was too sharp to my nose and a bit synthetic. You can't go wrong with either OR both Biggrin

88 4,233
 11-14-2013, 03:30 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Both Steve? Confused

Who am kidding, I like your way of thinking! Tongue

91 17,795
 11-14-2013, 03:35 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Not sure what you have available locally, but they are running Holiday specials now, with each bottle purchased you get a deodorant and a shower gel. Not a bad deal Wink

88 4,233
 11-14-2013, 03:52 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Would it be wrong to vote on AdP? I like Endymion and BB a lot, but I do love the Colonia Essenza... and it doesn't hurt that my wife loves it too. Blush

25 4,630
 11-14-2013, 04:02 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(11-14-2013, 03:35 PM)beartrap Wrote: Not sure what you have available locally, but they are running Holiday specials now, with each bottle purchased you get a deodorant and a shower gel. Not a bad deal Wink

No specials here Steve! Sad

91 17,795
 11-14-2013, 04:04 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(11-14-2013, 03:52 PM)TheMonk Wrote: Would it be wrong to vote on AdP? I like Endymion and BB a lot, but I do love the Colonia Essenza... and it doesn't hurt that my wife loves it too. Blush

The Colonia Essenza is actually the other fragrance I'm considering (and hence the Aqua di Parma option in the poll).

91 17,795
 11-14-2013, 04:18 PM
User Info
My skin doesn't tolerate Colognes or EdTs. But among the Penhaligon's aftershaves that I have used, by far my favorite is vintage Lords. I haven't smelled the modern version, Douro Eau de Portugal, so I don't know if it is the same.

183 12,002
 11-14-2013, 04:33 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(11-14-2013, 04:04 PM)ben74 Wrote:
(11-14-2013, 03:52 PM)TheMonk Wrote: Would it be wrong to vote on AdP? I like Endymion and BB a lot, but I do love the Colonia Essenza... and it doesn't hurt that my wife loves it too. Blush

The Colonia Essenza is actually the other fragrance I'm considering (and hence the Aqua di Parma option in the poll).

Well, in that case I'll give you my personal opinion on all of them, if you don't mind. Smile

First of all, they are all very different EdTs.
The BB is the fresher and simplest of them all, with an initial strong kick of lemon and lime, and then has a strong turn (no middle notes) into something more woody and peppery. It's a classic, serious cologne... and I don't feel it is suited for the teenagers among us. Smile
The Endymion is a more complex perfume, very warm and sensual. I like it a lot, but could not use it everyday. To me, it is more of a evening/night EdT.
The Colonia Essenza, on the other hand, is an everyday fragrance for me, a bit fresh but also intense and very masculine. A lot of fruits and some flowers, but also a kick of patchouli to "man it up". I can use it everyday, morning or night, and feel it is always appropriate.
You do have the regular Colonia, imagine a purer, more intense and masculine version of it.

I hope this helped your indecision.

Regards.

25 4,630
 11-14-2013, 04:42 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(11-14-2013, 04:33 PM)TheMonk Wrote:
(11-14-2013, 04:04 PM)ben74 Wrote:

Well, in that case I'll give you my personal opinion on all of them, if you don't mind. Smile

The BB is the fresher and simplest of them all, with an initial strong kick of lemon and lime, and then has a strong turn (no middle notes) into something more woody and peppery. It's a classic, serious cologne... and I don't feel it is suited for the teenagers among us. Smile
The Endymion is a more complex perfume, very warm and sensual. I like it a lot, but could not use it everyday. To me, it is more of a evening/night EdT.
The Colonia Essenza, on the other hand, is an everyday fragrance for me, a bit fresh but also intense and very masculine. A lot of fruits and some flowers, but also a kick of patchouli to "man it up". I can use it everyday, morning or night, and feel it is always appropriate.
You do have the regular Colonia, imagine a purer, more intense and masculine version of it.

Regards.

A wonderful response. Thank-you for your insight, it's certainly appreciated!

As far as Pens is concerned I'm leaning towards the BB, however I can't discount the Essenza even though this is primarily a Pens thread...

91 17,795
 11-14-2013, 04:55 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(11-14-2013, 04:42 PM)ben74 Wrote:
(11-14-2013, 04:33 PM)TheMonk Wrote:
(11-14-2013, 04:04 PM)ben74 Wrote: The Colonia Essenza is actually the other fragrance I'm considering (and hence the Aqua di Parma option in the poll).

Regards.

As far as Pens is concerned I'm leaning towards the BB, however I can't discount the Essenza even though this is primarily a Pens thread...

Totally up to you, but considering you already have the regular Colonia, and of course not knowing what other EdTs you have, I'd go for the Endymion first, as the BB is somewhat similar to the Colonia, with its very fresh and "citrusy" top notes. But they are very different, nonetheless!
On the other hand, I have no idea if Sartorial, which you also have, is similar to Endymion in any way... So maybe someone could help clear it up a bit more. Smile

25 4,630
 11-14-2013, 05:06 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(11-14-2013, 04:55 PM)TheMonk Wrote:
(11-14-2013, 04:42 PM)ben74 Wrote:
(11-14-2013, 04:33 PM)TheMonk Wrote: Well, in that case I'll give you my personal opinion on all of them, if you don't mind. Smile

Regards.

Totally up to you, but considering you already have the regular Colonia, and of course not knowing what other EdTs you have, I'd go for the Endymion first, as the BB is somewhat similar to the Colonia, with its very fresh and "citrusy" top notes. But they are very different, nonetheless!
On the other hand, I have no idea if Sartorial, which you also have, is similar to Endymion in any way... So maybe someone could help clear it up a bit more. Smile

Sartorial is not similar to Endymion! Endymion is warm and deep, while Sartorial is sharp. YMMV of course Tongue

88 4,233
 11-14-2013, 05:16 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Agreed Steve, they are indeed dissimilar.

Sartorial is more a reinterpreted Fougère, while Endymion is sweet and spicy.

I think it might be the ozonic and metallic effects of Sartorial that haven't necessarily won me over... ?

91 17,795
 11-14-2013, 06:00 PM
  • JaDo
  • Dallas, TX
User Info
English Fern is my favorite - perhaps favorite of all fragrances. I didn't care much for Blenheim Bouquet or Opus. I actually really like Doure, too, but you don't have it listed.

6 235
 11-14-2013, 07:22 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(11-14-2013, 06:00 PM)JaDo Wrote: English Fern is my favorite - perhaps favorite of all fragrances. I didn't care much for Blenheim Bouquet or Opus. I actually really like Doure, too, but you don't have it listed.

Yes, Doure sounds great, but I can't source that one yet... Sad

91 17,795
 11-14-2013, 08:44 PM
User Info
Endymion grabbed my attention first and I certainly like it a lot. Also received a sample of BB which I kind of liked but my better half was not a great fan.

Got some Opus recently which I like a lot but it's one I will only wear occasionally. Somewhat formal and sophisticated. Very complex - rose, smoke, cedar, Long lasting. My wife also loves it.

Have sampled the English fern which I did not take too at all. Juniper Sling seemed bright and fresh but probably a little too straightforward when I sampled.

Pens is certainly pricey in Australia. Henry Bucks (risky place to visit at Melbourne airport - also sell Marvis stuff) or Men's Biz have them as you probably know. Also some DJs and Myers stores. Have been tempted to buy online (Grays outlet) but always renege.

0 221
 11-14-2013, 11:43 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Thank-you for you input. Men's Biz is where I buy Pens from and as you'd know their range is limited. The respective department stores don't seem to stock Pens here on the west coast. Next time I'm in Melbourne I check out Henry Bucks...

91 17,795
 11-15-2013, 01:09 AM
  • SLB04
  • Schalksmühle
User Info
(11-14-2013, 05:06 PM)beartrap Wrote:
(11-14-2013, 04:55 PM)TheMonk Wrote:
(11-14-2013, 04:42 PM)ben74 Wrote: A wonderful response. Thank-you for your insight, it's certainly appreciated!

Sartorial is not similar to Endymion! Endymion is warm and deep, while Sartorial is sharp. YMMV of course Tongue

It is definetely not similar to Endymion. Sartorial is initially sharp but after a while it has a woody and powdery scent, that I really enjoy. And my wife as well.

1 374
 11-15-2013, 04:09 AM
User Info
Hi Ben, you could get the Penhaligon's sampler, unfortunately I just gave my one away! BB is my favourite in the range. Instead of Penhaligon's, I would recommend signing up to basenotes.net and taking part in fragrance splits. This is a great way to sample higher end scents at minimal cost, these may use a higher percentage of naturals as opposed to synthetics. http://www.basenotes.net/forums/142-Frag...lits-Board

In addition to basenotes, have a look at parfumo.net for ratings and fragrantica.com for reviews. I would recommend checking out Creed, Amouage, Frederic Malle, Maison Francis Kurkdjian and Slumberhouse.

21 456
 11-15-2013, 05:11 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(11-15-2013, 04:09 AM)mixershave Wrote: Hi Ben, you could get the Penhaligon's sampler, unfortunately I just gave my one away! BB is my favourite in the range. Instead of Penhaligon's, I would recommend signing up to basenotes.net and taking part in fragrance splits. This is a great way to sample higher end scents at minimal cost, these may use a higher percentage of naturals as opposed to synthetics. http://www.basenotes.net/forums/142-Frag...lits-Board

In addition to basenotes, have a look at parfumo.net for ratings and fragrantica.com for reviews. I would recommend checking out Creed, Amouage, Frederic Malle, Maison Francis Kurkdjian and Slumberhouse.

Thank-you for the great advice.

91 17,795