11-16-2013, 04:41 PM
User Info
Well, we've got pretty much every other 'what are you....' thread running, so I thought it would be nice to see what people are reading, have recently read, or can recommend (and why).

Short reviews would be nice, but are not necessary.

-----------------

I'm a voracious reader, with my tastes varying greatly, depending on what my mood is. I also like to read several books concurrently, though occasionally I'll focus on just one.

Currently, I'm reading:

1) The History of Western Philosophy - Bertrand Russell
2) The Silmarillion - JRR Tolkien (I've read this several times, so this is a re-read)

Those are the books I'm focusing on, but I also read a few 'regulars' in small installments. These are old friends that I return to and peruse a few pages at a time. It takes several months for me to finish these.

1) England Have my Bones - TH White
2) Plutarch's 'Lives'

37 1,731
 11-16-2013, 04:47 PM
User Info
I'm reading the first Jack Reacher novel, The Killing Floor.

It's a bit of a change-up for me, because I don't tend to read that popular thriller type of beach novel. And it's taking some getting used to, the bad writing. But I wanted to try one of these and I'm going to stick it out.

0 303
 11-16-2013, 05:05 PM
User Info
(11-16-2013, 04:47 PM)Face Bannon Wrote: I'm reading the first Jack Reacher novel, The Killing Floor.

It's a bit of a change-up for me, because I don't tend to read that popular thriller type of beach novel. And it's taking some getting used to, the bad writing. But I wanted to try one of these and I'm going to stick it out.

Over lunch, I like to read pulp-fiction type books. I've recently been a bunch of books by one of my favourite storytellers - Louis L'Amour. Yes, they're western novels! They're one of my guilty pleasures, and I really see nothing wrong with reading books just for the stories. I've been reading his books since I was ten, and I've read them all. The stories may follow a predictable path, but they're entertaining nonetheless.

37 1,731
 11-16-2013, 05:15 PM
User Info
I am currently reading the following three books:

Charles C. Mann, 1491
Mark Kurlansky, The Big Oyster
Jon Meacham, Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power

0 3,341
 11-16-2013, 05:16 PM
User Info
(11-16-2013, 05:05 PM)yohannrjm Wrote:
(11-16-2013, 04:47 PM)Face Bannon Wrote: I'm reading the first Jack Reacher novel, The Killing Floor.

Over lunch, I like to read pulp-fiction type books. I've recently been a bunch of books by one of my favourite storytellers - Louis L'Amour. Yes, they're western novels! They're one of my guilty pleasures, and I really see nothing wrong with reading books just for the stories. I've been reading his books since I was ten, and I've read them all. The stories may follow a predictable path, but they're entertaining nonetheless.

I arrived at this point because I like to read Travis McGee novels by John MacDonald, and even Mack Bolan novels by Don Pendleton. I, too, like the old pulps -- been hunting for some paperback editions of Operator 5's Purple Invasion storyline.

So I thought Jack Reacher might be the descendant of that type of thing. We'll see.

0 303
 11-16-2013, 05:51 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I'm reading Stephen King's "Under the Dome" and have been for 3 months...I'm still only about 60-70% through it. I like it, but it's about 1,100 pages and lately time is a issue. I want to read, but if I don't have at least an hour to devote I don't bother.
I also need perfect conditions..my sister and niece can read through anything, television, people talking, kids screaming, alarms sounding and probably bombs going off. I really envy that, if I don't have complete peace and quiet I can't enjoy what I'm reading.

I used to be able to read a 1000 page book in a few days, but I just don't seem to have the concentration I used to..nor the time. Sad

31 1,510
 11-16-2013, 06:13 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
K-Pax, the Trilogy by Gene Brewer. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie with Kevin Spacey as prot and Jeff Bridges as Dr. Gene Brewer and I am enjoying this quite large (787 pages) novel even more.

2 11,211
 11-17-2013, 07:37 AM
User Info
Right now I'm reading Restaurant Man, the memoir of Joe Bastianich (aka the skinny, bald, mean guy from the show "MasterChef"). It's a pretty interesting read so far.

10 2,062
 11-17-2013, 08:06 AM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield.

This is a novelization of the Battle of Thermopylae as told by the point of view of a squire to one of the soldiers. Amazingly written. I highly suggest it.

14 1,177
 11-17-2013, 08:24 AM
  • Deco
  • シングルエッジ
  • Rocky Mountains
User Info
(11-17-2013, 08:06 AM)CRAusmus Wrote: Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield.

This is a novelization of the Battle of Thermopylae as told by the point of view of a squire to one of the soldiers. Amazingly written. I highly suggest it.
Reading this one too.

1 239
 11-17-2013, 12:35 PM
User Info
(11-17-2013, 07:37 AM)taborcarn Wrote: Right now I'm reading Restaurant Man, the memoir of Joe Bastianich (aka the skinny, bald, mean guy from the show "MasterChef"). It's a pretty interesting read so far.

Isn't he the son of Lidia Bastianich - form Lidia's Italy on PBS?

Yep, Wikipedia confirms that. Love his mother's cooking shows.

(11-16-2013, 05:16 PM)Face Bannon Wrote: I arrived at this point because I like to read Travis McGee novels by John MacDonald, and even Mack Bolan novels by Don Pendleton. I, too, like the old pulps -- been hunting for some paperback editions of Operator 5's Purple Invasion storyline.

So I thought Jack Reacher might be the descendant of that type of thing. We'll see.

Strangely, I thought about Travis McGee when you mentioned the Reacher books. I've read a couple of those - suggested to me by a blog post from Steven Brust, who's an author of SciFi/fantasy books.

If anyone's into those sort of books, I can highly recommend the 'Jhereg' books by Brust.

37 1,731
 11-17-2013, 01:05 PM
User Info
(11-17-2013, 12:35 PM)yohannrjm Wrote:
(11-17-2013, 07:37 AM)taborcarn Wrote: Right now I'm reading Restaurant Man, the memoir of Joe Bastianich (aka the skinny, bald, mean guy from the show "MasterChef"). It's a pretty interesting read so far.

Isn't he the son of Lidia Bastianich - form Lidia's Italy on PBS?

Yep, Wikipedia confirms that. Love his mother's cooking shows.

Yes, he talks about working in her restaurants before opening his own (and later partnering with Mario Batali to open Babbo and others).

10 2,062
 11-17-2013, 02:06 PM
User Info
(11-17-2013, 12:35 PM)yohannrjm Wrote: If anyone's into those sort of books, I can highly recommend the 'Jhereg' books by Brust.

+1

I think that once I'm done with this training class - and as such will be done reading all the AJPs, JFQs, JPs and who know what other abbreviations for various NATO and non-nato documents - I'll pull the series down from the shelf and start at the first one all over again.

3 3,580
 11-18-2013, 12:08 PM
User Info
I'm just reading some boring IT books...

40 5,830
 11-18-2013, 12:27 PM
User Info
Just finished "The Double" by George Pelecanos. I've always been a big fan of his, even before he wrote for The Wire.

I'm back to "Bleeding Edge" by Thomas Pynchon. I had been reading that but I had requested "The Double" from the library. Since its a new release, I only had two weeks to read it. I only had about 50 or 60 pages of "Bleeding Edge" left, but I read so slowly that I knew I had to switch over.

Its a jarring shift to go from Pelecanos' spare realist noir-style writing to Pynchon's expansive, almost absurdist style.

72 1,407
 11-19-2013, 08:37 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I've been pretty busy with reading lately - mostly genre fiction.

Just finished Charming by Elliot James. A surprisingly well rounded entry in the urban fantasy/paranormal romance spectrum.

Just started Year Zero by Rob Reid. So far, neither the premise nor the writing have really grabbed my attention.

I discovered podiobooks.com, which has audiobooks in podcast format, which is pretty cool. Mostly small press and independent authors, so it's a nice way to check them out without spending money on a complete unknown.

I'm listening to The Emperor's Edge by Lindsay Buroker.

10 1,858
 11-19-2013, 09:46 AM
User Info
I used to read just one book at a time, but now with current technology, I read up to three.

My current lineup:

Audio book: Dean Koontz - "Odd Apocalypse" - 6th book in the 9 book Odd Thomas series, and I think the best one yet.

eBook: Dean Koontz - "77 Shadow Street" - Yeah, I'm on a Koontz binge right now. This is my fifth one since September.

Real Book: John Sheehan - "The Fifth Seed" - I actually haven't started this yet. I received it in the mail yesterday but I anxiously waiting for time to crack the book open. It promises to be an exciting thriller.

0 836
 11-19-2013, 11:09 AM
User Info
I have a kid applying for college this year so since the spring, I have read a massive amount of books on the college application process, writing essays, college recruiting, etc. I'm normally a voracious reader, and after January 1st (the last date when the college apps are due) I will curl up with a good book! And it won't have anything to do with college!

0 77
 11-20-2013, 08:36 PM
User Info
I just finished, "Sleeping Dictionary" by Sujata Massey, a historical novel set in India from the 1930's to 1947 and listened to "At Home" by Bill Bryson.

Bill Bryson writes about everything in and around the home, so it leads to talk about wigs, beauty marks, agriculture, mice, rats, the plague, stairs, sewers, Thomas Jefferson, architecture, poverty, taxes, shaving heads, George Beau Brummel, 180 some different kinds of dinnerware, awful table manners, the nursery, the parlor and on and on into every iota of everyday life and the history of why things are the way they are and how they were.

21 1,478
 11-21-2013, 06:08 AM
  • jcmy53
  • Cincinnati, OH
User Info
I just started reading "The Space vampires", from which the movie "Lifeforce" was based on, starring the incredible Mathilda May.

--
John

13 2,105