11-16-2013, 05:33 PM
User Info
So I'm looking to up my game to an adjustable razor but I'm not sure which one to go with. I'm looking to go with the progress or the futur, any ideas on which is better? I'm still pretty new to this and I'm currently using the 34c.

17 325
 11-16-2013, 07:04 PM
User Info
This can be one very addictive habit I have found. I only got into wet shaving a few weeks ago after many years .away from it. I didn't even realize that all safety razors weren't TTOs. I happened to find a low cost Asian three piece in a old drug store and thought I would give it a try. I discovered a book on gourmet shaving and next thing you know I started looking for another razor.

I now have a Slant and I just got my hands on a Merkur Progress. The progressive give me an unbelievable close shave but I may have to dial in back to 1 rather than 1.2. I got a chance to look at the Futur and it looked like a fine razor but I got a better deal on the Progress. I did like the snap on top of the Futur but felt better about the threaded on the the Progress.

0 9
 11-16-2013, 07:59 PM
User Info
It really is subjective, but I would go with the Progress as it is more manoeuvrable and secures the blade more prominently than the Futur. Isn't as large and doesn't feel as overwhelming in the hands. If you have large hands, the Progress Long Handle would work very well. Great shaver, overall!
Good luck.

75 20,883
 11-16-2013, 08:21 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I dislike the Progress, for me it's too unbalanced.

I love the Mergress and Mergress XL. These retain the agility of the Progress, but with an improved weight and adjustment. My ultimate recommendation is for either of these.

I also own the Futur and Vision. Of these, I'd recommend the Futur.

May I suggest you have a look at these threads:

VISION

FUTUR

MERGRESS

91 17,868
 11-17-2013, 05:13 AM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
I've got a Mergress and it's wonderful. The other one to consider is the Gillette Slim/Fatboy.

19 700
 11-17-2013, 06:02 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I would go with the Progress as its a lighter razor and it can be disassembled for total cleaning. To me there is no difference between the Mergress and Progress except for the nice knob that is installed. However, the Mergress gives some additional weight to the razor.

100 12,448
 11-17-2013, 11:19 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I prefer the Futur..it's larger and just feels better balanced and more comfortable to hold. The Progress feels slick to me, that combined with it's bottom heaviness felt precarious in my large hands.
The shave is smoother for me with a Futur as well, no matter what blade I tried in the Progress it just felt a bit harsh.

31 1,510
 11-17-2013, 04:15 PM
User Info
Try a Slim or Super Adjustable first. Relatively inexpensive way to try out an adjustable. If you like them you can add Progress, Fatboy and, dare I suggest, the Toggle. Have them all. Love them all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

0 15
 11-17-2013, 04:48 PM
User Info
My first and only adjustable was/is the Fatboy. I liked buying a slice of Americana and getting a well made adjustable to shave with.

But it's pretty mild even on max setting. So it doesn't really run the gamut. One day I'll probably try a more aggressive adjustable, but I just do not like the Futur. Aesthetically, it is off-putting. We'll see.

0 303
 12-21-2013, 05:35 PM
User Info
Well I went with a fatboy and a super adjustable.

17 325
 12-21-2013, 06:58 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I have a couple of Slims and Fatboys I picked up cheaply and they are in good to very good condition. Overpriced on auction sites I think, but what I like is also being able to get birthdate ones, depending when you were born. I was a 58er, so Fattys are good for that. I like the weight and feel of a Fatboy, but the Slim is a little more manoeuvrable under the nose, IMO. The Fatty is OK for that though. I think the Fat Boy has the overall edge for quality shave, but not by very much at all. It might just all be in the head. I have a ver vivid imagination. Oh, and I always set mine to 9, ha ha. Why mess around? Smile

0 1,625
 12-21-2013, 07:59 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
For an adjustable I prefer the Progress. It has great adjustment ranges so you can go from mild to aggressive. The razor is not too big and not too small but just rate IMHO.[/quote]

100 12,448
 12-21-2013, 11:16 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
I think the progress is a very easy going adjustable, nice range of adjustment, solid quality build and easy to find... The futur is nice too, but a bit touger to maneuver being large and on the heavier side...I've been on the list for a mergress for around six months and can't comment on whether the extra cost and wait time is worthwhile for what I'm told is slightly better weight distribution and in my opinion better looks...as for value, u can't beat some of the older adjustable Gillettes that can be found in excellent condition...Overall I'd say you can't go wrong with any of the recomendations given in this thread...just comes down to personal taste...It truly is worth having at least one adjustable in your stable though, that's for sure!!!

4 792
 12-22-2013, 10:16 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Since this is very much a YMMV thing, I'll share my own thoughts which may or may not work for you...

If you are just looking to check out an adjustable and see what its about, I will echo what some of the others said and recommend taking a look at a vintage Gillette Slim, as they can be obtained for VERY reasonable prices and if its not for you, you can easily get your money back. As a matter of fact I believe there are two currently listed on the Selling/Trading section. They are very intuitive and easy to use. Also, check out Gillette Fat Boys as well. They can be overhyped sometimes, but I personally have gotten some of my closest, most irritation-free shaves with a Fat Boy. You'll have to be a little more careful when looking at those, as prices/condition can be all over the place and its easy to overpay.

For the two options you mentioned: From a recommendation standpoint, I'd place the Progress ahead of the Futur. The reasons being that the shape of the Progress is a little more familiar, and more people seem to have much better luck with the Progress (just the impression I get). The Progress is often considered milder, and just seems to reach a wider audience IMO. I consider it a "safer" choice and a good starting point for modern adjustables. The Futur is not for everyone. You have the looks, the feel, the design...a little step away from the traditional razors many are used to. Furthermore, many people find it on the aggressive side, which I can totally understand. I personally list the Futur as one of my favorites and don't find it aggressive, and it does an incredible job for me. I also happen to like the look and feel of it, but that's me. My Progress at this time is just ok. It shaves good, little irritation, but I happen prefer my Fat Boy or Futur by a decent margin.

Good luck in whatever route you decide to take Biggrin!

29 1,581
 12-23-2013, 08:12 PM
User Info
(11-16-2013, 05:33 PM)Miketorrge Wrote: So I'm looking to up my game to an adjustable razor but I'm not sure which one to go with. I'm looking to go with the progress or the futur, any ideas on which is better? I'm still pretty new to this and I'm currently using the 34c.
The Slim is my choice.

0 606
 12-27-2013, 07:23 AM
User Info
Slim or Fatboy...both are great old razors.

19 697
 12-27-2013, 02:14 PM
User Info
The black beauty is a fine razor.

0 100
 02-02-2014, 09:11 AM
User Info
For the price, I recommend one of these:
http://shavenook.com/thread-knock-off-go...#pid293759
I've had my for about 5 months with no problems. Maybe they are out of stock or gone forever? I'm not sure:
http://shaveabuck.com/gold-adjustable-razor-p-907.html

2 97
 02-02-2014, 09:39 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,
The Merkur Progress wins as my preferred adjustable. I dare say, my preferred double edge razor, period. It is a pleasure to use for its versatility and balance, and I keep mine on a setting or 2 or 3. At one time I had the Mergress, with the bigger knob, but found it somewhat awkward for my hands. I am considering the shorter knob version. The Progress just feels right in my hands and on my Hollywood face.

132 2,614
 02-02-2014, 09:52 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Agreed.

The Merkur Progress is one razor that has held its place in my den, for the very reasons indicated by Obie.

I've not tried the Mergress and other variants, as the standard Progress suits me just fine. Smile

102 17,670