11-17-2013, 04:49 AM
User Info
This morning I re-visited the 25mm Muhle V2 synthetic brush. Teiste mentioned it was his favourite synthetic knot in a previous post so that was reason enough. As my favourite synthetic is the 23mm Muhle Purist, I decided to make things a little interesting and compare it to natural silvertip badger:

[Image: 7bnw.jpg]

From right to left: Muhle STF V2 25mm (extra large), Firehouse handle with 26mm premium silvertip re-knotted by Sebastian from Pinselwerkstatt Aulitzky.

The Firehouse brush was chosen as it had the closest specs (26mm x 55mm) to the Muhle STF V2 (25mm x 60mm). The silvertip knot by Sebastian Aulitzky has good backbone and very soft tips, I believe the only Silvertip knot better is made by Shavemac.

From the top:

[Image: 5cdl.jpg]

From left to right: Muhle STF V2 25mm, Firehouse Aulitzky silvertip badger 26mm.

You want fine, I'll show you fine:

[Image: 7a5z.jpg]

The Muhle silvertip fibres are incredibly fine with the softest tips of any brush I've used. The fibres are so fine that my Canon 5D MK3 had problems locking focus.

Natural premium silvertip:

[Image: 3sam.jpg]

There's something about fine silvertip that is just so beautiful. Premium silvertip is a finer hair, softer and more flexible. As an example, I prefer Shavemac's silvertip to their D01 3 band. Backbone can be remedied by requesting a denser knot, shorter loft or a combination of both.

Comparison:

[Image: qfpp.jpg]

Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet (tube) was the shaving cream of choice. If you've never tried this cream please do, it's a refreshing citrus pine fragrance and a nice way to kickstart the day.

Muhle STF V2 25mm:

As I proceeded to face lather, I immediately noticed this was a large brush. This only became larger as the brush splayed from circular swirling motions. It's not only large but it is huge, or extra-large as Muhle stated. This is also a result of the 60mm loft and fan knot type.

Secondly, I noticed the softness of the tips. Softer than a feather, is there anything on earth softer? I'd say probably not, yes it's that soft. I think it's the size of the brush and the softness of the tips that made me forget about backbone. So I had to focus and think what about the backbone? To be fair it has medium backbone, but it's really not something that enters your mind when you use this brush.

Within milliseconds, I then realised the copious amounts of thick lather this brush whipped up. 5-10 seconds of face lathering and you have enough for what must be a 10 shave pass. Simply incredible.

Firehouse Aulitzky Silvertip:

- First thought: this is a heavy handle. It should be, its made from clay pottery by Keith Thomson via Whipped Dog.
- Second thought: it's very soft, not as soft as the synthetic but it's very soft. I like it. I can feel the naturalness of the silvertip badger.
- Third thought: again I'm thinking about the natural face feel of the badger.
- Fourth thought: it's big, but not as big as the Muhle. This is really from the shorter 55mm loft.
- Fifth thought: A lot of nice thick lather.

So what's the difference? The main difference between the synthetic and the premium silvertip is it takes 2-3 times longer to generate the same amount of lather with the silvertip compared to the synthetic. In terms of face feel, it's a trade-off between incredibly soft tips of the synthetic compared to the natural soft tips of real silvertip.

Do I like the Muhle STF V2 25mm? Yes I do, it's a beautiful brush but it is large. This would be perfect for when I'm in a rush, as it can whip up perfect lather so quickly it is astonishing. Do I like the premium silvertip? I love it and I prefer it, however I concede that synthetic will not only be the future, it needs to be the future. This is coming from someone who loves natural, handmade items.

Huge thank you to Sebastian Aulitzky for re-knotting not only the Firehouse brush but many others. His work is stunning and very affordable, his contact details are info@wunschpinsel.de.

Thanks for reading,

Michael

21 459
 11-17-2013, 05:29 AM
  • dcc
  • Polsilver Vendor
  • EU
User Info
Great review,thanks!

31 425
 11-17-2013, 07:11 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Good review, thank you.

I wonder if the ideal size for the Muhle Silvertip Fibre would be the 21 or 23mm knot.

25 4,640
 11-17-2013, 07:35 AM
User Info
(11-17-2013, 07:11 AM)TheMonk Wrote: I wonder if the ideal size for the Muhle Silvertip Fibre would be the 21 or 23mm knot.

I was wondering the same thing. Normally I would go for the 25mm, but I just ordered one in 23mm. I'm really looking forward to trying it out when it gets here.

Thanks for the comparison!

10 2,062
 11-17-2013, 07:38 AM
  • Elbe
  • Wolfsburg, Germany
User Info
(11-17-2013, 07:11 AM)TheMonk Wrote: I wonder if the ideal size for the Muhle Silvertip Fibre would be the 21 or 23mm knot.

I have them in 21, 23 and 25mm and I clearly prefer the 23mm sized brush. The others are nice too, but the 23mm is the best.

0 229
 11-17-2013, 02:16 PM
User Info
(11-17-2013, 07:11 AM)TheMonk Wrote: Good review, thank you.

I wonder if the ideal size for the Muhle Silvertip Fibre would be the 21 or 23mm knot.

If you're after a 23mm synthetic brush, the ideal brush is the 21mm Muhle Purist. This feels like a true 23mm brush and has excellent face feel similar to the 25mm Muhle Classic. The 23mm Muhle Classic feels like a smaller brush, like it has a 21mm knot. It also has a distinctly different feel, with the knot feeling compact and a little stiff when face lathering. It's still a great brush, however it's now my go to travel brush given it's size.

I would recommend the 21mm Muhle Purist, or the 25mm Muhle Classic if you like large brushes.

21 459
 11-17-2013, 04:45 PM
User Info
Very nice review.

0 100
 11-17-2013, 05:57 PM
User Info
I have a RV with Muhle STF V2 and I am astonished at the amount of thick and slick lather it makes in half the time any of my premium Silvertips and face feel of my 25mm is just right

97 1,252
 11-17-2013, 06:27 PM
User Info
Great review and enjoy the brushes!

75 20,883
 11-17-2013, 07:34 PM
User Info
(11-17-2013, 05:57 PM)Boonie21 Wrote: I have a RV with Muhle STF V2 and I am astonished at the amount of thick and slick lather it makes in half the time any of my premium Silvertips and face feel of my 25mm is just right

It must be because of the RV handle Smile

I used my RV D01 2 band flat top this morning, and I kept thinking it just doesn't get any better. Rudy's work on burl wood is jaw dropping.

21 459
 11-18-2013, 12:17 AM
User Info
I have the Muhle 21mm synth and like it, but I don't have a 23mm Muhle to compare it to.

If you want a really big synth' try this: Frank Shaving Pur-Tech 28 x 54mm Gen 4 V2 STF

You need to contact him to get a price, but it's awesome. I don't even like big brushes (normally) and this brush is fantastic.

[Image: DSC04038_zps89f3f7e5.jpg]

32 6,309
 11-18-2013, 09:20 AM
  • rsp1202
  • Los Angeles
User Info
It concerns me that the 23mm Muhle STP is as springy and tight as it is. The knot feels smaller and, for me, the splay could be a bit wider. I hesitate to go up in size to the 25mm as that appears to be too big for my liking, and I don't care for the looks of the black fibre models. So I'm hesitating to use my current 23 though I can work around its problems, and hope for the time that Muhle sees fit to produce a "real" 23- or 24mm knot. Actually, I like the synthetic's performance for the most part, and want one in the rotation (with a customized handle and loft), but it's not quite there for me yet.

20 1,607
 11-18-2013, 10:43 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(11-17-2013, 07:59 AM)jsab Wrote: i prefer the 23 too. i have two of them and one doesnt get any love since its in my travel bag...i'll probably put it up on BST shortly.

If you do sell it and shipping is reasonable, you may have a buyer already. Wink

(11-18-2013, 12:17 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I have the Muhle 21mm synth and like it, but I don't have a 23mm Muhle to compare it to.

If you want a really big synth' try this: Frank Shaving Pur-Tech 28 x 54mm Gen 4 V2 STF

You need to contact him to get a price, but it's awesome. I don't even like big brushes (normally) and this brush is fantastic.

[Image: DSC04038_zps89f3f7e5.jpg]

Can you give me an idea of price, Brian?
Also, what kind of Synthetic Fibre does FS work with? Just looking at their synthetic brushes online catalog, I see very different looking fibres, however they do not specify what kind of fibre each brush has.

25 4,640
 11-18-2013, 01:16 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(11-17-2013, 02:16 PM)mixershave Wrote:

If you're after a 23mm synthetic brush, the ideal brush is the 21mm Muhle Purist. This feels like a true 23mm brush and has excellent face feel similar to the 25mm Muhle Classic. The 23mm Muhle Classic feels like a smaller brush, like it has a 21mm knot. It also has a distinctly different feel, with the knot feeling compact and a little stiff when face lathering. It's still a great brush, however it's now my go to travel brush given it's size.

I would recommend the 21mm Muhle Purist, or the 25mm Muhle Classic if you like large brushes.

In answer to your first sentence, I'm after a travel synthetic brush that has a decent size, is more suited for face lathering (which is how I always shave when traveling), but that also pleases me when I want to use a synthetic brush at home, where I usually bowl lather. Not so easy, huh? Smile

I've seen people recommend the 21mm Purist over the 23mm Classic before, but I still haven't been able to make up my mind. In what way is the face feel of the 21mm Purist better than the 23mm Classic?

Regards.

25 4,640
 11-18-2013, 01:41 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Great review, thank-you.

91 17,851
 11-18-2013, 02:04 PM
User Info
David, the Frank Shaving synthetic is the new Generation 4 fibres. I have two of the knots in two handles. I got the knot by itself for $26 including shipping from China.
Here it is in a handle I ordered separately from them. They are fantastic knots, but their size might differ a few millimetres as mine seems more like 26.5mm than 28mm. I set it in this handle of 24mm which I had to widen to get the knot into. Good luck.

[Image: oacg.jpg]

75 20,883
 11-18-2013, 03:10 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(11-18-2013, 02:04 PM)celestino Wrote: David, the Frank Shaving synthetic is the new Generation 4 fibres. I have two of the knots in two handles. I got the knot by itself for $26 including shipping from China.
Here it is in a handle I ordered separately from them. They are fantastic knots, but their size might differ a few millimetres as mine seems more like 26.5mm than 28mm. I set it in this handle of 24mm which I had to widen to get the knot into. Good luck.

[Image: oacg.jpg]

Celestino, thanks for your help. One question, though: Generation 4 fibres = Muhle v2, right?

25 4,640
 11-18-2013, 05:57 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Thanks for taking the time and thought to take the pics and write your impressions about those brushes.

86 7,123
 11-18-2013, 06:27 PM
User Info
(11-18-2013, 09:20 AM)rsp1202 Wrote: It concerns me that the 23mm Muhle STP is as springy and tight as it is. The knot feels smaller and, for me, the splay could be a bit wider. I hesitate to go up in size to the 25mm as that appears to be too big for my liking, and I don't care for the looks of the black fibre models. So I'm hesitating to use my current 23 though I can work around its problems, and hope for the time that Muhle sees fit to produce a "real" 23- or 24mm knot. Actually, I like the synthetic's performance for the most part, and want one in the rotation (with a customized handle and loft), but it's not quite there for me yet.

Springy is exactly the word I was looking for. If you're after a 23mm synthetic, get the 21mm Purist. The build quality and finishing is much higher than it's price.

(11-18-2013, 01:16 PM)TheMonk Wrote:
(11-17-2013, 02:16 PM)mixershave Wrote:

In answer to your first sentence, I'm after a travel synthetic brush that has a decent size, is more suited for face lathering (which is how I always shave when traveling), but that also pleases me when I want to use a synthetic brush at home, where I usually bowl lather. Not so easy, huh? Smile

I've seen people recommend the 21mm Purist over the 23mm Classic before, but I still haven't been able to make up my mind. In what way is the face feel of the 21mm Purist better than the 23mm Classic?

Regards.

The 21mm Purist STF isn't as tightly packed as the 23mm Classic STF. When you start face lathering, the knot opens up much easier and face feel is excellent.

The 23mm STF is tight and springy as rsp1202 mentioned above. When you begin to face lather with swirling motions, the brush does not want to open up, the knot wants to remain compact. It is only when you tilt the brush on an angle and push firmly, it splays and you can start face lathering.

I wouldn't recommend the 21mm Purist STF for travelling as it's heavy. It's also too nice Wink

21 459
 11-18-2013, 10:16 PM
  • rsp1202
  • Los Angeles
User Info
You really nailed the description of how the STF 23 lathers. I just sold mine and will reconsider the synthetics after I restock with a badger or two. Sounds like the Purist has the mojo, but I'll have to get my head around the fancy handle -- I'm just a faux ivory guy at heart.

20 1,607