11-17-2013, 05:06 PM
User Info
I know I haven't been back into wet shaving or that long but I already have three razors and a Badger brush, shaving Bowl and a request or a stand for Christmas.

I got a cheep DE with a free blade that someone should have paid me to use. I managed to get my hands on a small sample o a few different blades from Merkur, Wilkerson Sword, Dorco and two or three others. Then I got a Merkur Slant and was impressed from the first shave. Thursday I got a Merkur Progress and tried the Dorco Blades in it. First save wasn't as nice as I would have liked. One or two small nicks but I was willing t chalk it up to technique and maybe improper adjustment. Second Shave wasn't much better even if I went slower. Angry

I started to wonder if I should offer to sell or trade the Progress because the slant and cheep drug store razor still worked well. Then I switched blades and all is right with the world again. Lightbulb

I haven't tossed the rest of the Dorcos yet because as I understand they might works in a different razor, although I don't "need" another razor a TTO might be interesting.

0 9
 11-17-2013, 06:11 PM
User Info
Congratulations and wait until you try the Super Iridiums. They seem to make the world that much better, each day! Biggrin
Good luck with the TTO!

75 20,883
 11-17-2013, 11:47 PM
User Info
Hitchhikers Guide? Yes? Or just chance? I refer to the subject line of course. Anyway...

Sounds like you're doing fine!

Part of just starting is finding out what will work and what won't, but it's also ongoing for years; or it can be. Since you're basically beginning, I wouldn't move anything out. Even after you have some time in it and are confident in your ability I still would be patient. As your ability grows, so too might your tastes in gear. You can always sell stuff if you want to.

I've moved out extra razors, but I keep one of everything I've tried just in case my tastes change. OK, another reason too. I want a reference razor so that I can shave with it and refresh my memory of it. How would one know if one doesn't have a reference razor? How many Fatboys does one need to buy and how often would one buy one to try it again? I tell myself I'm not a collector, and as long as I don't polish them and ooh and ahh over them, but keep them as users I think it isn't a collection. But of course it is. When I write that I'm not a collector I mean a collection that is on display just to possess it.

32 6,309