04-23-2012, 04:04 PM
User Info
Over the years, I've bought many razors, and traded or sold them away almost as quickly as I acquired them. Most of the razors I've sold just didn't work out for me, but there were a few items that I regretted parting with.

One of them was my first generation iKon razor. This was one of the original razors that Greg made. It is a bit of a knock-off of a Gillette Old Type, but it was a bit more aggressive, making it just about the right razor for me. It came paired with a lovely extended fat Tech handle. The whole thing was fashioned out of stainless steel, as all Greg's razors are. It had a really nice matte finish, and I loved it.

However, I thought I'd be sticking with SE razors several years ago, and I sold all my DE razors. Blush

I still prefer SE razors, but I've decided that DE razors also work for me, along with my straights (which I use most of the time).

I'd have bought another of these iKons, but Greg stopped making these and moved on to other models. Also, the QC at iKon at the time these were made wasn't great (I speak from painful experience), so there was a wide variation in the characteristics of the razors produced. Even if I could get this same model razor from someone, it wouldn't necessarily shave anything like the one I had.

After pondering this for a while, I decided to see if I could track down my razor.

---------

I had purged the emails from that time many months ago (I sold it over 2 years ago), so I wasn't able to track down the buyer that way. Luckily, the original FS thread was still up on B&B, and I had indicated who had bought it in a follow-up post. Cool

I checked the profile of the buyer and found that he'd been inactive on the forum for a long time, but I shot him a PM anyway. To my surprise, he got back to me. Even more surprising was the fact that he still had the razor, but was not using it anymore. I got lucky! Smile

A few emails later, we had a deal worked out and the razor was on its way back to me......sight unseen.

It got to me today.

[Image: 100_2614.jpg]

[Image: 100_2615.jpg]

[Image: 100_2616.jpg]

It's in as-new shape. This is a testament to the gentle handling it's received from the guy who had it, but also to the build quality of the razor.

It looks, and feels, as good as I remember it.

Of course, the real test will be the shave. I hope it lives up to my memories.

They say you can't ever go back. I'll be testing that out over the next few weeks. Wink

37 1,731
 04-23-2012, 04:08 PM
User Info
Congratulations on reuniting with it Yohann! Great ending...

9 333
 04-23-2012, 04:09 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Wow that is a great looking razor. I think I need to try one of these iKons

116 3,804
 04-23-2012, 04:11 PM
User Info
That's a great story. I'm glad you were able to get it back, and that it's in such good condition.

183 12,002
 04-23-2012, 04:15 PM
User Info
Congrats.

I had one of those with a bulldog handle and it was too aggressive for me.

18 567
 04-23-2012, 04:16 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
How lucky are you. I always like happy endings.

173 23,490
 04-23-2012, 04:23 PM
  • etoyoc
  • NW Indiana
User Info
Wow!

Glad you were able to get that back.

I was on the waiting list back then and something came up and I had to back out when my time came up. They certainly are a beauty!

0 253
 04-23-2012, 04:27 PM
User Info
Excellent news!

0 221
 04-23-2012, 04:53 PM
User Info
(04-23-2012, 04:15 PM)PanChango Wrote: Congrats.

I had one of those with a bulldog handle and it was too aggressive for me.

Dale -

Thanks, I'm happy to have it back.

As I mentioned, some of the razors Greg produced at this time were very different from others, even though the head looked the same.

I liked this one so much that I bought another one, and that was absolutely unusable. It was pretty messed up, to be honest. Uneven blade exposure, the head-cap sat at an angle to the head, etc. It cut my face to ribbons before I looked at it closely and found the issues.

The razors iKon produced at that time were pretty inconsistent in build quality and other characteristics. Some were milder than others, some were perfectly machined, others were not, etc.

Things have improved since then, of course.

37 1,731
 04-23-2012, 05:01 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I had one of those along with a rare iKon spindle oc. Only a few of the spindles were ever made. I wish I still had that razor. An excellent shaver with perfect blade alignment.

Congratulations on obtaining this beautiful iKon Tech.

100 12,437
 04-23-2012, 06:37 PM
User Info
Yohann,
What a wonderful story and congrats!

75 20,883
 04-24-2012, 05:17 AM
User Info
Well, I feel like Goldilocks, with this being my 'Baby Bear' razor!! Biggrin

First shave with the prodigal iKon was this morning.

I popped in a Red IP and built a nice lather with a newly re-knotted Kent using Mike's Barbershop soap. The posts on the iKon are wider than that of a Old Type Gillette, so the blade is held firmly in the head with no lateral play. When the handle is screwed on, the blade is held flush against the comb. The construction of the razor makes it feel more substantial than any vintage razor, and the knurling on the handle is deep, giving great grip. So far, so good.

The first pass led to me thinking 'Wow!'. It was smooth, and it felt like the razor wasn't doing anything, but the hair was being cut. Very nice!

Two more passes and touch-ups later, I'd had a super-smooth, very comfortable shave and my face was devoid of any tactile stubble. Cool

As Col. Sherman Potter once said, "There's not enough O's in smooooooth to describe this." (or something like that; my memory was never very good.)

So why does this feel like my 'Baby Bear razor'?

I have, what I consider to be a thick, dense growth of facial hair. Each individual hair is very thick, and there's a bunch of it. My hair grows back pretty quickly (seems to depend on the season), and it's visible sooner than I'd like, even when my face feels smooth.

I've noticed that this combination of a lot of thick hair gives me issues with razors that have a lot of blade exposure. When there's a lot of blade exposure, I feel that the blades are allowed to flex more, and that doesn't work for me, as the thick hairs 'pluck' the blade. So the 2011 Muhle R41 didn't work for me, for example.

I prefer a razor than holds the blade down firmly, but still allows a somewhat aggressive shave. (As an aside: that's why I like SE razors. Since they have much thicker blades, there's no flex, even with large blade exposure.) The iKon head matches these requirements, as it clamps the blade down firmly against the comb.

The OC design still allows a medium-aggressive shave. It's no Barbasol DE, or Muhle R41, but it's not a Feather AS either. The OC allows the blade access to the hairs without the need to have too much blade showing.

Not too mild, but not too aggressive - just right!

The handle is longer than that of a fat-handled Tech. More importantly, it's got much deeper knurling. This allows a really firm grip. The added length is nice too, without being so long that it becomes unwieldy. It's also heavier than any vintage razor, but not too heavy (I've had some BRW handles that were just too heavy for me to use comfortably).

So, not too light, but not too heavy and just long enough - just right again!

The head design caused me to automatically use the right cutting angle, making it a really easy shave. There was no messing around with shaving angle to find the proper angle to use.

------

So, it shaves well, feels good, and is easy to use: basically, this razor was 'just right' for me ---- a 'Baby Bear razor!' Wink

Of course, this is one shave in to it's second stint with me. I hope it keeps this up.

Still, I'm pretty certain that this is never leaving my hands again. Biggrin

37 1,731
 04-24-2012, 05:01 PM
User Info
I think I get what you're talking about,with the blade exposure,blade touching comb etc....Found that the razor I most enjoy shaving with is the Gillette OLD (1920 and before with the original thinner baseplate and cap) I think that had it right from the start.

If I could have a larger handle and the whole thing built of SS it would be awfully nice...

Congratulation,now hang on to it this time !

7 414
 04-25-2012, 03:37 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Congratulations on your reunion.

I've been searching for one for so long that I've given up!

91 17,798
 04-25-2012, 07:04 AM
User Info
I'm glad you got your razor back. I've been wondering about the OC Ikon model that was highly polished and sold out before I had a chance to order it. I never did find out if it had a blade gap as opposed to the blade laying smack down on the bottom plate. I might have bought one of those if there was a blade gap.

24 1,150
 04-25-2012, 07:12 AM
User Info
Gary -

If you're referring to the iKon Deluxe shown here with the thin handle:

[Image: IMG_2431.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2432.jpg]

...then yes, it kept the blade off the comb.

It was a pretty close knock-off of the NEW Deluxe head, and shaved just like it.

I had the above razor, and was pretty pleased with it, but it lacked a certain je ne sais quoi that my NEW Deluxe Belmont had, so I passed the iKon on to a friend.

37 1,731
 04-25-2012, 10:09 AM
User Info
very cool story- glad you got it back!

0 217
 04-25-2012, 02:25 PM
User Info
Glad you got your iKon back!

A couple weeks ago I stumbled upon this auction on the bay http://www.ebay.com/itm/230774229951? claiming to be a first generation iKon. Well the handle looked like nothing I had ever seen Greg produce so I sent him an e-mail asking if this was indeed one of his models.

Greg as always got back to me promptly and confirmed this is indeed a first production run on the 1st gen iKon. (Perhaps there was more than one run of the first model??) A couple items of note which may interest you, first Greg indeed stated that to many (most?) this particular head (1st run) is "highly aggressive" and that most people could not use it and that if I was interested in the razor I should only look to it as a collectable and nothing else. Secondly, the production numbers for the 1st run: 75 heads max made it out the door, probably less and while you do not have this handle, only 25 of the ball tip handles ever made it to be sold.

Sadly, my max price for the razor tapped out at $150, while it did sell for $200 I am wondering what the high bidder's max number was.

129 6,685
 04-26-2012, 07:06 PM
User Info
(04-25-2012, 02:25 PM)wingdo Wrote: Glad you got your iKon back!

A couple weeks ago I stumbled upon this auction on the bay http://www.ebay.com/itm/230774229951? claiming to be a first generation iKon. Well the handle looked like nothing I had ever seen Greg produce so I sent him an e-mail asking if this was indeed one of his models.

Greg as always got back to me promptly and confirmed this is indeed a first production run on the 1st gen iKon. (Perhaps there was more than one run of the first model??) A couple items of note which may interest you, first Greg indeed stated that to many (most?) this particular head (1st run) is "highly aggressive" and that most people could not use it and that if I was interested in the razor I should only look to it as a collectable and nothing else. Secondly, the production numbers for the 1st run: 75 heads max made it out the door, probably less and while you do not have this handle, only 25 of the ball tip handles ever made it to be sold.

Sadly, my max price for the razor tapped out at $150, while it did sell for $200 I am wondering what the high bidder's max number was.

Visually it seems somewhere between the thinner cap and baseplate pre 1921 the thicker post 1921 style.The OLD style heads being a favorite of mine I was tempted but the listing didn't say much and I've seen better, more descriptive pictures of $12 razors.

7 414
 04-27-2012, 07:46 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
That stainless Tech handle is very very nice I bet. I'll post what I think is a first gen iKon I own in the next few days. Basically a stainless single ring.

135 1,944