04-23-2012, 04:31 PM
User Info
So I bought two vintage shave ready straights from a reputable dealer.

I had no prior experience with straights and I'm pretty sure I mucked up the edge on one of them by a bunch of typical newbie mistakes. I didn't strop it before shaving because it was shave ready, but I'm pretty sure I used too high of an angle, my lather was drying out because I was taking forever, and on and on.

At any any rate, I tried stropping on strops pasted with diamond spray and Crox, then on leather, and can't seem to revive the edge.

Compared to the un-used, shave ready straight, it feels dull. I doesn't pass the HHT (which I probably can't do right anyway) and doesn't do a great job shaving off arm hair. The un-used, never stropped by me razor shaves off the arm hair much more easily.

So, I decided to take a close look at the dull razor's edge. I can actually see teeth or microchips in the edge with the naked eye. This is looking at it very, very closely under the light, but without magnification.

Does the razor need to be honed? I seriously doubt my ability to revive it with the equipment I have and I don't really think I'm ready to learn to hone or make the investment in hones. I am okay with sending the razor out, but I need a good recommendation.

For a smooth but sharp razor, who would recommend I send it to? I'm in the U.S.

0 189
 04-23-2012, 05:07 PM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
Sounds like it does need some work. I've never had a razor sharpened by anyone, I do my own. Here's who I'd use if I needed someone. http://shavenook.com/thread-sham-imanli-s-honing-lesson

12 743
 04-23-2012, 06:45 PM
User Info
cvac,
Sham is a great honemeister and i have a few of his honed straights.There are a few others on this forum who are able to hone razors if i am not mistaken.
Good luck, sir.

75 20,883
 04-24-2012, 06:42 AM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
cvac - if you want to send it my way I can hone it for you. You just need to pay for shipping. I'm not a honemeister by any means, but have been honing my own razors since I started a year ago.

Let me know if interested.

0 353
 04-25-2012, 03:10 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Cvac,
Please understand that the HHT test is not reliable, because it takes in so many variables. Send your razor to a pro. What's more, it will set the standard for what a blade should feel like when you yourself start honing.
Sham (hibudgl) is a master. He has been one of my teachers. Sham is also a gentleman. He hones Phil's straights offered on Bull Goose. Sham also has his own forum: Razor and Stone (razorandstone.com). Give him a try.
An edge by Sham is pure silk.

132 2,614