11-19-2013, 07:16 AM
User Info
In a previous post, I mentioned Shavemac make the highest quality knots. So, I wanted to explore this topic further for my own curiosity and provide some light reading material if anyone was considering a Shavemac. I know this topic has been covered before by some very experienced reviewers, so without further ado.

Shavemac Finest and Silvertip:

[Image: 0xgh.jpg]

From left to right: Beehive in finest bulb (23mm x 50mm), No. 25 in silvertip fan (25mm x 50mm).

Originally, I was disappointed with the Beehive. The hair quality is excellent, however the brush has minimal backbone. Other members noted it was 'luxurious'. I now appreciate this brush for what it is, an excellent brush with a grippy handle and very soft hair. The handle is unique, it's well proportioned and the flange at the base makes it easy to hold. I purchased the brush in standard guise, so if you want to remedy the limited backbone just request a dense knot.

For the No. 25, I contacted Bernd directly for a custom brush. I had read Shavemac's silvertip was a very fine hair, so chose a slightly larger knot and requested the knot be dense with good backbone. When the brush arrived, I experienced this Babeando and then Aaaaa and finally Love ..... The knot was perfect, the fan shape was perfect, not one hair out of place. The tips had silvertip peach fuzzy goodness giving the knot a soft glow. Looking at the knot, I can only assume Bernd must have used some D01 2 Band for extra backbone. This is the best knot I have ever seen, period.

From the top:

[Image: 08hy.jpg]

Notice the compact nature of the bulb vs the fan. Jeez that damn cat is a picture hog...

Finest close up :

[Image: u7l1.jpg]

The finest badger hair quality is simply superb, especially given the very moderate price. Notice the curled tips, this feature is more pronounced when then knot is wet contributing to a soft face feel. While the hair shafts seem a little rough, this doesn't mean you get any scrub, scritch or scratch. Nope it's all soft. Shavemac finest is silvertip.

Silvertip close up:

[Image: 2nbq.jpg]

The silvertip hair is extremely fine. If you compare the silvertip to the above finest and below D01 3 band 'head' shots, you can see just how fine and smooth the silvertip hair is. This knot has incredibly soft tips while the density ensures good backbone. Shavemac silvertip = premium silvertip.

D01 3 band:

[Image: p5kw.jpg]

The Colonia No.1 bulb and Americana fan were purchased straight from Shavemac's web site.

D01 3 band close up:

[Image: 23f5.jpg]

Shavemac's D01 3 band provides softness with firm backbone. The characteristics of Shavemac's D01 3 band are similar to Simpson's super grade. Notice the hair shafts of the D01 3 Band are thicker than the silvertip. While I have several D01 3 band knots, I now know it's their silvertip that speaks the quietest.

Thanks for reading,

Michael

21 459
 11-19-2013, 07:18 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Another wonderful review Michael, thank-you!

I particularly like the Colonia and Americana brushes.

91 17,876
 11-19-2013, 07:27 AM
User Info
(11-19-2013, 07:18 AM)ben74 Wrote: Another wonderful review Michael, thank-you!

I particularly like the Colonia and Americana brushes.

+1 I hope you enjoy all the brushes, Michael! Smile

75 20,883
 11-19-2013, 07:41 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Michael, thank you for sharing your thoughts as well as the lovely photos.

Like Ben, I am particularly drawn to the Colonia and Americana handles!

102 17,671
 11-19-2013, 09:34 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I bought a Beehive earlier this year and loved it from the moment it came into my possession: its style, its quality, its performance and best of all its finest badger. I have to say that the finest knot is not lacking in backbone in my opinion, although it has nowhere near the backbone of my Simpson's Chubby 1 in best or my Rooney 1/2 in Blonde, both of which can feel like a brick of badger at times. In terms of face feel I find the finest quite similar to the Heritage Silvertip in my Rooney Emillion1. I've been thinking of having Bernd make me an extreme flat top in finest, but seeing the Colonia and Americana again has given me pause.

5 761
 11-19-2013, 03:17 PM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
Michael,

Great write up. Because of comments such as yours, I have a Shavemac Finest and Silvertip in my rotation.

19 700
 11-19-2013, 03:20 PM
User Info
Excellent pics and discussion. I have brushes in silvertip, D01 2, D01 3. Outs of these 3 I love the silvertip, very soft, luxurious and great flow through. Enjoy the brushes.

22 225
 11-19-2013, 05:11 PM
User Info
Good review and photos Michael. My current Shavemacs are D01 2-bands and they have more backbone and scrub than any brush I've tried, while having no scritch.

37 2,975
 11-19-2013, 11:51 PM
User Info
(11-19-2013, 05:11 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Good review and photos Michael. My current Shavemacs are D01 2-bands and they have more backbone and scrub than any brush I've tried, while having no scritch.

Ricardo, Shavemac's D01 2 band is fantastic. Maybe a D01 2 band bulb is in my future. I would really recommend you try either finest or silvertip, however make sure you get the knot specs right and request a dense knot. I really like my 25mm x 50mm silvertip.

21 459