04-23-2012, 06:23 PM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
I picked up a few new kitchen tools today.

I've wanted to get a black steel pan for a while now, and I noticed that our kitchen store just got received a bunch of new Lodge Lyonnaise style pans. I'm not sure what the I'll cook in it first, maybe some bacon but this pan definable has some crispy skinned salmon in it's future!

[Image: pan.jpg]

My family picked up this pour over coffee maker for me. I use a Chemex but with three coffee drinkers who all drink multiple cups the Chemex just wasn't up to the level of coffee production that we need.

[Image: coffee.jpg]

7 1,018
 04-23-2012, 10:25 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Don't know much about the pan, but that is a nice coffee maker. I have three Chemex's, small, medium, and large. When I am the only one drinking coffee I use them.

173 23,554
 04-24-2012, 03:28 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Shawn, does that type of pan have the natural non-stick properties of cast iron? If it does without any creepy coatings added, I'm in. Congrats on the new additions!

35 2,703
 04-24-2012, 04:09 AM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
(04-23-2012, 10:25 PM)Johnny Wrote: Don't know much about the pan, but that is a nice coffee maker. I have three Chemex's, small, medium, and large. When I am the only one drinking coffee I use them.

I also have a automatic drip coffee maker but it hasn't seen any use in over a year. I've got everything dialed in with my Chemex as far as amount of coffee, grind and brew time go.

I'm enjoying a cup of coffee right now brewed in the new pour over. 54 grams of coffee and 32 ounces of water, brew time was right about four minutes.

(04-24-2012, 03:28 AM)TexBilly Wrote: Shawn, does that type of pan have the natural non-stick properties of cast iron? If it does without any creepy coatings added, I'm in. Congrats on the new additions!

Thanks Bill! Yes, it is supposed to be non-stick, or I should say it is supposed to have a natural non-stick property similar to cast iron cook ware. It is based on the De Buyer black steel or the mineral pans. After my discount the pan was nearly $43, I figured that I couldn't go wrong for that price, it's a 12 inch pan so it will see a lot of use in my kitchen, not just for protein but for vegetables as well.

If you are looking for a good non-stick pan I suggest you check out Scanpan. They have a line of pans that have a ceramic-titanium coating and it is the best non-stick I have ever used. Full disclosure; The only thing my Scanpan gets used for is eggs and the only tools I use in it are silicon coated. And it gets washed separately by hand from everything else. I've had it for about two years now and until this year it was getting used twice a week and it still looks brand new. I know that cooking eggs in it isn't really abuse but that isn't why I got it.

If you are looking for non stick that you can use and abuse you should check out Sur La Table's line of coated cast iron, it's basically a knock of of the Le Cruset but it's a fraction of the price. I haven't read any reviews of them but I'm pretty sure they are quality tools and if you don't like it SLT has a great return policy.

What are you going to use non stick pans for? What types of things are you going to cook in it?

7 1,018
 04-24-2012, 04:23 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Nice additions to the kitchen.

1 3,507
 04-24-2012, 04:32 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Beautiful and very functional looking Shawn. I can smell the bacon now.

100 12,450
 04-24-2012, 05:11 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Scanpan! Oh yes, Shawn, we have one and your analysis is spot on! I guess we've had ours about 9 months and use it for practically anything: vegetables, protein, and of course eggs! Although we use wood or rubber utensils, it does have some micro scratches (you have to look very closely) in the surface but it's aesthetics only - it works perfectly. We put aside all but one of our non-sticks (the other being the restaurant grade n-s pan you can buy at Sam's) and use our Scanpan a lot. I've been tempted to buy another as a go-to for heavier cooking that produces sugars - proteins, sauces, etc. In the end, we really don't NEED another pan but that's beside the point. Biggrin Let us know how the Lodge performs!

35 2,703
 04-24-2012, 06:08 AM
User Info
I am not sure what happened in our marriage, but some how, 35 years after getting married, I do most of the cooking. I think it is what my wife had planned from day 1. Regardless, good cooking tools make cooking fun and I enjoy putting together a good meal. Thanks for the tip on pans.

6 230
 04-24-2012, 06:30 AM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
That's what happened in my house too Mark! I'm sure in my case a stint in professional kitchens had more than a little to do with it. What pans are you using now?

7 1,018
 04-25-2012, 08:00 AM
User Info
Mmmmm......Bacon....

1 223
 05-03-2012, 06:41 AM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
So far the new pan has exceeded my expectations. I've only cooked a few things in it so far, pancakes, fish, and scrambled eggs but I haven't had any issues with food sticking.

7 1,018