11-19-2013, 05:44 PM
User Info
I may have to rethink hanging out with you guys. About a month ago I was blissfully going along using an Electric razor during the week and a Schick Quattro on the weekend. I didn't have a thick beard nor a fast growing one so I may not have shaved as much as I could have. Then by chance I got a safety razor at my local drug store and bought a book on wet shaving. Not long after I joined this forum and soon had a badger brush and bowl for making my own lather. Next thing I knew I had a Merkur Slant. Two shaves later I had a Merkur Progress. Yesterday I was in a little antique store and got a Gillette with some kind of thin head. How did this happen?

[Image: IMG_0497.jpg]

0 9
 11-19-2013, 06:28 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
You my friend now are totally screwed...you have Razor addiction disorder commonly reffered here as R.A.D...before long you will be spending hours finding hiding places for your enless shaving products,becoming best friends with your postal and delivery guys and proving to your wife or girlfriend that you do not have sex on-line and are just researching products for possible purchase or writing a book on this disorder which can spread to BAD (brush),MAD (shaving mugs) ADD (after shave)SAD (soap)CAD (cream)BAD (blade)and possibly looking into expanding your bathroom and taking out loans to prepare a proper shave cave...I will pray for you and yours...run quickly ...it might not be too late....so sad...another one hooked...BiggrinTongueAngelCoolHuhConfused

6 1,913
 11-19-2013, 06:40 PM
User Info
Congratulations! A few more and you will be off to a great start! Biggrin

75 20,883
 11-19-2013, 07:19 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I forgot to explain B.A.D. can also be for (Brush and/or Bowls)and did not mention S.A.D (scuttles)and even S.E.D (single edge)..some doctors and analysts just groop them all and refer to us wet shavers as the medical term "NUTS" but we are happy ,don.t need meds and are all well groomed...so different ways of looking at this "affliction"....welcome to our 12 step program...meetings daily and we now include Coffee disorders,Music and photographic postings.....All rise and repreat after me...."We are happy and blessed and do what the hell we like....so back off and stay out of our caves"

6 1,913
 11-19-2013, 09:36 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Congrats on your switch to wet shaving! How has the boar brush been working for you.

45 3,955
 11-19-2013, 09:43 PM
User Info
So tonight during my shaving session I used the progress for my face on the WTG and the Slant for my neck and the XTG. Then I used the Gillete for my upper lip and chin. I did a ATG pass with the slant and buffed the jaw line with the Progress. Is there something in shaving soap that makes us want to drag a sharp instrument across our face? BTW no nicks but it did take me 30 minutes. I believe I am possessed.

(11-19-2013, 09:36 PM)tgutc Wrote: Congrats on your switch to wet shaving! How has the boar brush been working for you.

I just got it the other day because of what was suggested in a book I just read. It seems stiffer than my Badger but it cost less. Now I guess I need to look at a horse hair brush just to have all bases covered. I wouldn't have tried it but it was sitting right next to some blades I wanted to try. I guess I better check and see if I have a fever??

0 9
 11-19-2013, 10:38 PM
User Info
No fever, just a case of Acquisition Disorder - most of us suffers from it Wink

Your boar brush will need breaking in a bit to bring out the best of it, as I'm sure you're aware of... and if you want to try out horse I would suggest getting one from Vie Long - either a pure horse or a horse-boar mix. I got one of each and I love them both, for different reasons.

3 3,580
 11-20-2013, 12:18 AM
  • davizera
  • Non Dvcor Dvco
  • São Paulo - Brazil
User Info
Welcome to the club. Remember, you're only in the beginning. Biggrin

I was really happy, in my first month with only 1 brush, 1 razor and some creams and soap. Then the second razor comes, then the second brush. After a while, you'll see yourself taking the whole space of your cabinet, with brushes that will take you around 2 weeks to use back in the rotation, soap for 5 years, 10 years of blades and lots of different razors.

But this is the fun part of this hobby, the choices that you'll have to make everyday. Smile

2 242
 11-29-2013, 07:47 PM
User Info
Today I believe I may have stepped into the wild side. I took a long handle from that first razor I bought and have a machinist turning two new handles for my travel heads, the Merkur slant and the Gillette slim. I gave him the copper colored handle as a example to see what comes back.Cool

0 9
 11-30-2013, 03:25 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
If you have not read this I recommend you do so. Great information on boar brushes.

http://shavenook.com/thread-a-beginner-s...ving-brush

173 23,546
 11-30-2013, 09:00 AM
User Info
I think something has happened to us all same

6 205
 12-01-2013, 04:50 AM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
16 months into this and I've been through probably 25 razors, 18 brushes, 20+ aftershaves, 15+ soaps/creams/sticks, 8 bowls/mugs, 200+ blades, also oils, towels, a BIG custom shave nook, etc., etc., etc.. Go forth and multiply. You can always pass your old gear on to infect someone else with the AD virus. I've found this makes room in the nook for NEW stuff.... I'm sure the victims will thank you for it !!! Such is the Wet Shave Virus... BTW, That reminds me, I'm kind of down on razors. I only have 8 in the nook.... I do have 2 Vie Long horse hair brushes on the way. I'll have to get on the B/S/T or e-bay to temporarily sooth the razor symptoms. Well maybe not...lol Happy Shaves my friends !!!

5 1,151
 12-01-2013, 05:43 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Congratulations, you have just gone down the rabbit hole of wet shaving. There are many more exciting acquisitions to come, but be aware, this rabbit hole is seemingly bottomless...I know where of I speak!

5 760