11-20-2013, 01:44 AM
User Info
I purchased nearly all the flavours of Marvis toothpaste and was shocked to learn Marvis contains SLS and parabens. Tell me this ain't so .....
http://www.dermstore.com/product_Classic..._48866.htm
http://foodtrainers.blogspot.sg/2013/01/...teeth.html

Aside from Marvis, I've been looking at alternatives:

[Image: 4xfu.jpg]

I'm now using Melvita toothpaste. Next on the 'to try' list is Biotene toothpaste, their mouthwash is excellent.

Melvita ingredients:

[Image: h1aw.jpg]

Melvita is made in France and is 99.66% natural. It's a toothpaste gel and this tube is a very mild mint with green tea, grapefruit and myrrh. I purchased this in Hong Kong for a little under USD $10.

Recommendations for toothpastes without SLS and parabens are greatly appreciated.

21 459
 11-20-2013, 02:05 AM
User Info
(11-20-2013, 01:44 AM)mixershave Wrote: I purchased nearly all the flavours of Marvis toothpaste and was shocked to learn Marvis contains SLS and parabens. Tell me this ain't so .....
http://www.dermstore.com/product_Classic..._48866.htm
http://foodtrainers.blogspot.sg/2013/01/...teeth.html

Aside from Marvis, I've been looking at alternatives:

[Image: 4xfu.jpg]

I'm now using Melvita toothpaste. Next on the 'to try' list is Biotene toothpaste, their mouthwash is excellent.

Melvita ingredients:

[Image: h1aw.jpg]

Melvita is made in France and is 99.66% natural. It's a toothpaste gel and this tube is a very mild mint with green tea, grapefruit and myrrh. I purchased this in Hong Kong for a little under USD $10.

Recommendations for toothpastes without SLS and parabens are greatly appreciated.

Some of us are into this hobby to get more natural healthy products.
Then we discover that this is just like the ecological wave among food products.
It just ain't that natural and healthy at all - we just get the illusion from the packaging, price and hype on the forums and internet.

I also bought all the Marvis Toothpaste flavours and was shocked and saddened to discover this is just a better tasting & better foaming version of the polluted Colgate Total toothpaste :-(

I will use my 8 Marvis up, then hope I'm not dying from using it, then move on to something else.
The same you see in a lot of shaving creams. Full of the same crap you find in Gillette products.....just in a more natural packaging.

I own 60+ shaving creams and a lot of them are not that 'natural' at all......

22 5,057
 11-20-2013, 02:43 AM
User Info
i recently purchased the marvis cinnamon - although i new perfectly well it contains crap. it turned out i strongly dislike it anyway: way too thick + mouth full of saliva afterwards (!). in addition i find the idea of cinnamon in toothpaste a not so good one. i really like cinnamon in general but not in this case. i continue to stay with my regular toothpowder from per-blan and marvis goes to trash.

7 1,625
 11-20-2013, 03:40 AM
User Info
Jason's Spearmint Baking Soda toothpaste and Tom's Botanically Bright Spearmint are my two favorites - no flouride, SLS, etc and have a great "taste" to them.

I thought the Biotene (and most of the others I've tried) tasted awful.

47 1,112
 11-20-2013, 04:47 AM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
^ +1 on the Jason....I like the "SEAFRESH". (spearmint)

0 1,291
 11-20-2013, 10:45 AM
User Info
Well, if you really want to avoid any potential surprises with your toothpaste, you could always make your own.
I use non-alum baking soda with spearmint essential oil and it works magnificently! It takes a bit of getting used to, but once you use it for two weeks or so, you really realize how sweet even the natural toothpastes are.
Good luck to you.

75 20,883
 11-20-2013, 01:43 PM
  • ischiapp
  • Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
As a pharmacist I know and sell all above ... but in my experience there are few good toothpaste.
I use and advise these:
http://www.zuccari.com/en/SC/2079/AloeICEgel.html
http://www.pureformulas.com/homeofresh-t...iVhUK.dpbs
If you don't like clorophil ... citrus or anise are great Cool
http://www.pureformulas.com/homeofresh-t...royal.html
http://www.pureformulas.com/homeofresh-t...royal.html

0 1,096
 12-18-2013, 03:46 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Gee, I'm a big fan of Marvis toothpaste, I may have to rethink my choice in dental care... Huh

91 17,846
 12-18-2013, 03:49 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
So I went ahead and adopted a tube of...

[Image: F35m4Fw.png]

Weleda Salt Toothpaste

Ingredients:

(INCI)Sodium Bicarbonate, Water (Aqua), Glycerin, Silica, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Prunus Spinosa (Blackthorn) Fruit Juice, Commiphora Myrrha (Myrrh) Extract, Krameria Triandra (Ratanhia) Root Extract, Aesculus Hippocastanum (Horse Chestnut) Bark Extract, Arum Maculatum Root Extract**, Sodium Chloride (Salt), Cyanopsis Tetragonoloba (Guar) Gum, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Alcohol, Esculin, Lactose, Flavor (Aroma)*, Limonene*, Linalool*.
* from natural essential oils
** in highly diluted form

91 17,846
 12-18-2013, 04:09 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I like to use Vicco Vajradanti ayurvedic toothpaste.

[Image: bwu6kRK.jpg]

0 1,624
 12-18-2013, 10:18 AM
User Info
Ben, Weleda makes some of the best natural products I have tried! Enjoy the toothpaste! Biggrin

75 20,883
 12-18-2013, 11:23 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I have been using various iterations of Colgate all my life and the stuff just works. While I certainly wouldn't want anything to harm me, I sometimes think we go overboard.

I wonder how many here who worry about what is in their toothpaste, shaving products, etc, also smoke, drink alcohol, use marijuana, cross the street on a red light, over eat... you get the picture.

NOTE: The second part is strictly rhetorical and in no way do I want a discussion on your (or anyone else's) lifestyle.

2 11,211
 12-18-2013, 02:58 PM
User Info
I think Marvis is quite safe to use daily as formulated though you shouldn't swallow it or any other toothpaste. Neither SLS or parabens have been shown to pose health risks in the concentrations of a typical household or cosmetic product.

15 762
 12-18-2013, 03:04 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I Heart Weleda Salt Toothpaste.

Haven't touched another brand since I got my first tube of this stuff.

102 17,668
 12-18-2013, 07:42 PM
User Info
(12-18-2013, 11:23 AM)freddy Wrote: I have been using various iterations of Colgate all my life and the stuff just works. While I certainly wouldn't want anything to harm me, I sometimes think we go overboard.

* Freddy, I think some folks just want to simplify things and improve what they use, consume, eat and drink with as many natural products as they can, when they can. Smile

75 20,883
 12-18-2013, 07:56 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(12-18-2013, 11:23 AM)freddy Wrote: I have been using various iterations of Colgate all my life and the stuff just works. While I certainly wouldn't want anything to harm me, I sometimes think we go overboard.

I use plain old anti-cavity Colgate with no bells or whistles and costs about $1.25 per 6oz tube. I have used it all of my life, it's cheap and considering I've only had 1 cavity, way back when I was 10 (I'm 38 now) I think it's doing it's job.

31 1,510
 12-18-2013, 09:26 PM
User Info
Yep. Baking Soda all the way. Cleans good and changes the pH which disrupts bacterial colonies. Gotta keep those little buggers on the run.

0 1
 12-18-2013, 09:30 PM
User Info
Very nice ingredients, I'm going order some of this stuff when the Biotene runs out.

(12-18-2013, 03:49 AM)ben74 Wrote: So I went ahead and adopted a tube of...

[Image: F35m4Fw.png]

Weleda Salt Toothpaste

Ingredients:

(INCI)Sodium Bicarbonate, Water (Aqua), Glycerin, Silica, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Prunus Spinosa (Blackthorn) Fruit Juice, Commiphora Myrrha (Myrrh) Extract, Krameria Triandra (Ratanhia) Root Extract, Aesculus Hippocastanum (Horse Chestnut) Bark Extract, Arum Maculatum Root Extract**, Sodium Chloride (Salt), Cyanopsis Tetragonoloba (Guar) Gum, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Alcohol, Esculin, Lactose, Flavor (Aroma)*, Limonene*, Linalool*.
* from natural essential oils
** in highly diluted form

21 459
 12-19-2013, 03:39 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Bullgoose has a couple more varieties of Weleda toothpaste that I intend to acquire too!

91 17,846
 12-19-2013, 03:52 AM
  • mjemec
  • Slovenia
User Info
Over the course of the year I ordered a few different varieties of Now Foods Xyli White toothpaste gel. Me and my girlfriend both prefer their Refreshmint offering. They also have a cinnamon and baking soda one. I order them from iHerb.

[Image: NOW-08090-5.jpg]

Functional Ingredients: Xylitol (25%), papain (whitening)
Ingredients: Water, xylitol (25%), hydrated silica, glycerin, sorbitol, sodium bicarbonate, sodium carbonate, sodium coco-sulfate, carrageenan (chondrus crispus), tea tree (melaleuca alternifolia) leaf oil, peppermint (mentha piperita) oil, spearmint (mentha viridis) oil, papain, potassium sorbate

2 494