11-20-2013, 03:59 PM
User Info
So just this week, I decided to buy a new DE razor and everything I need to experience true wet shaving. A strange coincidence occurred last night while cleaning out my nightstand...I found a near mint Otto Deutsch HANS 9/16 in a relatively nice, original box. I have no idea where it came from...which is pretty weird!

My initial thought was to list in on eBay and sell it to help defray the initial cost of my new kit, however after more reading and advice from others, I've decided to keep it...at least for a year or so. I may even try it once I get the hang of shaving with a DE razor!

I thought I'd share a few photos I took with my iPhone, and the razor is MUCH nicer than the pics show! Similar blades currently listed on eBay seem to be corroded - my blade is in excellent condition with shiny chrome and no pitting. Its green handle is a beautiful, translucent green.

In less than a week, I've really found out a lot about shaving, razors, brushes, soaps, etc., but determined that there's SO MUCH more I have to learn!! For one thing, I'm curious to find out the approximate age of this ODH razor.

[Image: kZkXZ5S.jpg][Image: OJREnXK.jpg][Image: GxvrQY8.jpg][Image: JHafeMc.jpg]

0 4
 11-20-2013, 04:39 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Very nice, congratulations!

91 17,823
 11-20-2013, 05:33 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
Wow. What else is in that drawer? A brush? An antique soap cup?

Congrats. Tell me how to work that magic on one of my drawers...

14 1,177
 11-20-2013, 08:37 PM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
Wow! Finding one without cell rot is a miracle and one that nice is a gift from the deity! 1930 -1952. Get it professionally honed to enjoy it. Check around to find someone that can do it justice! I had a new razor trashed by someone once. Ask some of the straight shavers for their opinions...Not me!
~Richard

8 1,190
 11-20-2013, 08:56 PM
User Info
Congratulations and that is a good looking razor!

75 20,883
 11-20-2013, 09:14 PM
User Info
Great find, if you ever want to off load the razor please give me first dibs, a word of warning I wouldn't advise any newbie introduction to straight razor shaving to use that razor those square points can be extremely unforgiving, another thing I would like to add if that razor was a 6/8 you would probably would not have come across it, the 9/16 being a small razor and more difficult to use and especially with the very abrupt square point.

5 1,805
 11-21-2013, 08:03 PM
User Info
i second that...proceed with caution using that pronounced square point...you can master it...just take it slow.

97 1,252
 11-21-2013, 09:53 PM
User Info
Too cool. That is one fine looking blade. Love it.

0 772
 11-22-2013, 03:15 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
I second Jamie... Both on the square point and on the dibs!! Fine razor is uncommon condition.

You know, if you leave it your draw any longer it will likely curdle, or spoil.. You really should send it to me. It's said that the NY smog does some kinds of miraculous things to the celluloid and steel. Only safe place for that razor is on my dresser top.. Angel

33 914