11-21-2013, 10:01 AM
User Info
Hey guys,

I've been DE shaving for about 9 months now and i've noticed that ever since i've used proper shaving soap and a DE razor, I've been getting acne breakouts. Nothing major, but I get one or two massive pimples after each shave.

I used to shave in the shower with a Mach 3 and no soap for years and never had acne - my mach 3's would last me months.

I've started using Cetaphil as my preshave and alum + ASB as my post shave so hopefully this will prevent further acne breakouts. It's not related to a single soap + brush, it happens after each shave, even when I vary the soaps and blades.

Has anyone experienced this? Anyone have a cure or product that will prevent this?

19 631
 11-21-2013, 10:16 AM
User Info
(11-21-2013, 10:01 AM)Starkicker Wrote: Hey guys,

I've been DE shaving for about 9 months now and i've noticed that ever since i've used proper shaving soap and a DE razor, I've been getting acne breakouts. Nothing major, but I get one or two massive pimples after each shave.

I used to shave in the shower with a Mach 3 and no soap for years and never had acne - my mach 3's would last me months.

I've started using Cetaphil as my preshave and alum + ASB as my post shave so hopefully this will prevent further acne breakouts. It's not related to a single soap + brush, it happens after each shave, even when I vary the soaps and blades.

Has anyone experienced this? Anyone have a cure or product that will prevent this?

Try rinsing your face between each pass, then when finished shaving make sure to get ALL soap residue off of your skin. Warm washcloth followed by Witch Hazel on a cotton pad (they come in bulk packs), then cool water to rinse Witch Hazel residue off. It sounds like alot but goes fast. If your face still has soap "slickness" to it, it's likely soap residue so rinse again. Now it should be ok to use ASB or AS splash followed by Shea Butter. The most important part is rinsing all the soap off, it will clog your pores. Good luck Biggrin

92 2,566
 11-21-2013, 10:20 AM
User Info
(11-21-2013, 10:01 AM)Starkicker Wrote: Hey guys,

I noticed I would get a pimple here and there when I used soaps with a lot of lanolin. I decided to sell all of my lanolin soaps (to you) and never really get acne anymore from shaving. I stick to lanolin-free (and preferably) veggie soaps now.

2 102
 11-21-2013, 10:35 AM
  • tave
  • Mr whiskers
  • baltimore
User Info
I like to use shea butter too after rinsing with cold water. When is the best time to apply it? I like to use it with ASB or AS splash.

0 76
 01-06-2014, 03:38 PM
User Info
You can also try Witch Hazel. After you rinse with cold water just apply some to a cotton round and rub it around. It is an Astringent so it should any bacteria . A Quick warning , be careful as it can burn.

0 295
 01-06-2014, 03:44 PM
User Info
Alcohol based aftershave to kill bacteria.

0 303
 01-08-2014, 05:15 PM
User Info
I had the same problem, but i think after a while my face adjusted after about six months. During that first six months, some soaps caused pimples, and some did not. Hopefully, some of the suggestions posted will help!

1 184
 01-11-2014, 07:10 PM
User Info
I just started using RazoRock Baby Blue and an alum bar post shaves. I never liked the sting, but I enjoy it now and best part is no acne flair-ups.

I also found that chasing that BBS shave wasn't good for two reasons, my slow growth wouldn't allow me to shave the next day and the super close shave would give me in grown hairs.

19 631
 01-13-2014, 01:42 PM
User Info
Also if you wash your face too often it can dry out. Then your skin produces more oil which can clog pores and cause acne. It may be worth using cleanser less frequently if you're using it at all.

Sent from my mobile phone.

0 11