11-21-2013, 01:15 PM
User Info
how expensive vintage shaving soaps are getting? I've tried some vintage soaps and they worked pretty darn well but I got mine some time ago when the prices were reasonable.

But now, you're looking at upwards to around $50.00 for some of the Old Spice pucks. You might get a mug thrown in for that but still......

I still have some vintage Williams, Wright and Oster soaps but don't think I'll look for any more. Just to expensive and today we have some wonderful modern day soap makers producing some great stuff.

What do you think?

4 952
 11-21-2013, 02:18 PM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
Yes I have. Bought an OS mug that had a puck in it, and so I thought to look around. It's crazy. I'll stick with my roation of The Fat, DRH, MdC, etc

19 700
 11-21-2013, 02:56 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(11-21-2013, 01:15 PM)MichaelD Wrote: how expensive vintage shaving soaps are getting? I've tried some vintage soaps and they worked pretty darn well but I got mine some time ago when the prices were reasonable.

But now, you're looking at upwards to around $50.00 for some of the Old Spice pucks. You might get a mug thrown in for that but still......

I still have some vintage Williams, Wright and Oster soaps but don't think I'll look for any more. Just to expensive and today we have some wonderful modern day soap makers producing some great stuff.

What do you think?

I haven't looked lately but all I can say is, WOW! I purchased a NOS puck of Old Spice in its original mug about a year or two ago and paid $25.00. I'm certainly glad I purchased it when I did.

2 11,211
 11-21-2013, 08:12 PM
User Info
Wow! Good thing we have so many talented artisans making some amazing soaps! For me, any way, there is no need to search out the older soaps as the newer artisanal soaps are superb! Biggrin

75 20,883
 11-21-2013, 09:22 PM
User Info
"If demand increases and supply remains unchanged, a shortage occurs, leading to a higher equilibrium price" and "If demand remains unchanged and supply decreases, a shortage occurs, leading to a higher equilibrium price".

In short more people are discovering traditional shaving, and the supply of vintage soap is being lathered away - meaning more people are competing for less soaps. And then off course you have the whole issue of some people treating soaps as an object for speculation - taking some of the supply out - and the fact that some noobs may be paying more then the market-price ought to be - thus making the sellers expect the rest of us to pay more.

The free market can be a drag at times, which is why it's so great that artisans are offering wonderful soaps Biggrin

3 3,577
 11-23-2013, 12:48 PM
User Info
I have an Old Spice mug with soap and red cover, I was going to use it but found out I couldn't replace it either.
With so many great soaps out there, I wonder if a vintage soap would really be any better?

0 50
 11-23-2013, 01:43 PM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
I know MdC ages their soaps for a few months before selling them. Do soaps age like a good red wine?

9 734
 11-23-2013, 02:13 PM
User Info
Not being in the market I haven't.

I have used a few vintage soaps and they're good, but certainly not that good. I took myself out of the vintage market awhile back, and I still remain out of it.

I find many vintage soaps work great and since scent also is lessened over time I like the scent level quite a bit, but I don't find that they work better than the best soaps of today. After all, nothing has changed in saponification; at least hasn't changed for the worse. They certainly aren't worth that cash. OK for collectors I guess; just not for me.

32 6,309
 11-24-2013, 01:57 PM
User Info
I think even the mass produced soaps like Proraso are great. You don't need to spend a fortune to get a good soap, nostalgia or not.

21 1,476
 11-24-2013, 02:11 PM
User Info
(11-24-2013, 01:57 PM)lindyhop66 Wrote: I think even the mass produced soaps like Proraso are great. You don't need to spend a fortune to get a good soap, nostalgia or not.

I agree. I have not tried any of the vintage stuff and I can't see myself paying that kind of price for vintage. I could buy a lot of Palmolive for $50.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

1 35
 11-24-2013, 02:42 PM
User Info
We can get great soaps at great prices right now. No need to pay the big bucks.

24 1,151