11-21-2013, 02:06 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
That's right, The Day of the Doctor, celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Dr Who series, airs on Saturday, 23 November via a worldwide telecast. I'll be watching it on Channel 40, SPACE, and I have my recorder programmed and ready to go. I started watching Dr Who in July 1967 so nothing is going to stop me from watching this anniversary show, including SWMBO, who can't stand Dr Who for some inexplicable reason; I don't think she really understands it.

5 760
 11-21-2013, 02:46 PM
User Info
Love Dr Who but college football rules that time frame. I'll have to wait for reruns since I don't have a dvr.

Oh wait, it's PBS. No worries on catching it later.

6 358
 11-21-2013, 03:45 PM
  • Deco
  • シングルエッジ
  • Rocky Mountains
User Info
(11-21-2013, 02:06 PM)Rufus Wrote: That's right, The Day of the Doctor, celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Dr Who series, airs on Saturday, 23 November via a worldwide telecast. I'll be watching it on Channel 40, SPACE, and I have my recorder programmed and ready to go. I started watching Dr Who in July 1967 so nothing is going to stop me from watching this anniversary show, including SWMBO, who can't stand Dr Who for some inexplicable reason; I don't think she really understands it.
What's to understand? Time Lord uses telephone booth (TARDIS) to visit the universe. Pretty straight forward...

1 239
 11-21-2013, 04:11 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(11-21-2013, 03:45 PM)Deco Wrote:
(11-21-2013, 02:06 PM)Rufus Wrote: That's right, The Day of the Doctor, celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Dr Who series, airs on Saturday, 23 November via a worldwide telecast. I'll be watching it on Channel 40, SPACE, and I have my recorder programmed and ready to go. I started watching Dr Who in July 1967 so nothing is going to stop me from watching this anniversary show, including SWMBO, who can't stand Dr Who for some inexplicable reason; I don't think she really understands it.
What's to understand? Time Lord uses telephone booth (TARDIS) to visit the universe. Pretty straight forward...

Not much to me, but I'm not a woman. BTW, the TARDIS is a police box, not a telephone booth...maybe that's what SWMBO doesn't understand.Biggrin

5 760
 11-22-2013, 10:31 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I loved David Tennent as the Doctor and wouldn't miss an episode. Then they got that dreadful Matt Smith to take his place. As far as I am concerned (and this just represents my opinion) Mr. Smith has the charisma of a rock in the show and I lost interest. I am very excited about the new Doctor (Peter Capaldi), however, and shall be checking back in. Biggrin

2 11,211
 11-22-2013, 11:09 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(11-22-2013, 10:31 AM)freddy Wrote: I loved David Tennent as the Doctor and wouldn't miss an episode. Then they got that dreadful Matt Smith to take his place. As far as I am concerned (and this just represents my opinion) Mr. Smith has the charisma of a rock in the show and I lost interest. I am very excited about the new Doctor (Peter Capaldi), however, and shall be checking back in. Biggrin

I agree, but I continue to watch the programme regardless. Having watched the Doctor, William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton, since 1967, I can say that some Doctors are definitely better than others. I'd rate David Tennant as one of the strongest and Matt Smith one of the weakest, but not a wash out; Tennant is definitely more engaging and charismatic than Smith. I don't know a thing about Peter Capaldi, so I'm keen to see his interpretation of the Doctor.

5 760
 11-26-2013, 10:06 AM
User Info
(11-22-2013, 11:09 AM)Rufus Wrote:
(11-22-2013, 10:31 AM)freddy Wrote: I loved David Tennent as the Doctor and wouldn't miss an episode. Then they got that dreadful Matt Smith to take his place. As far as I am concerned (and this just represents my opinion) Mr. Smith has the charisma of a rock in the show and I lost interest. I am very excited about the new Doctor (Peter Capaldi), however, and shall be checking back in. Biggrin

I agree, but I continue to watch the programme regardless. Having watched the Doctor, William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton, since 1967, I can say that some Doctors are definitely better than others. I'd rate David Tennant as one of the strongest and Matt Smith one of the weakest, but not a wash out; Tennant is definitely more engaging and charismatic than Smith. I don't know a thing about Peter Capaldi, so I'm keen to see his interpretation of the Doctor.

Tennant and tom baker have been my favorites up to this point, and i think that eccleston is a greatly underrated doctor as a whole. I think matt smith did his job greatly at getting the fan girls in on the action and have made it a a cultural phenomena here in the states (is this REALLY a good thing? it's more accessable, but we have to deal with fan girls Sad lol )

I too am excited about Capaldi being the new doctor, it's about time we had a "grown up" in the doctors seat. John Hurt did a fantastic job of showing how the doctor could be played in a more serious way. I'm excited to see where we will be taken on this next adventure, and cannot wait for the christmas episode Smile

9 149
 11-26-2013, 12:37 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I managed to record all the programmes aired on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, as well as watch most of them. SWMBO thinks I've lost it completely now, but wait until the first really cold and blustery day this winter when I'll flip on the recordings; SWMBO will freak out.BiggrinBiggrinBiggrin

5 760
 11-26-2013, 10:03 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I remember the first Dr Who, screened on British TV all those years ago. yes, I am that old Smile I was born in Liverpool. I still sound like a scouser.

0 1,625
 11-26-2013, 10:12 PM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
I just started watching the current iteration of the show. It's on Netflix and I watch 1 or 2 episodes a day. I have seen some of the really old shows when I was a kid, but I'm hooked on the new show now! Best part too, is that my wife sits and watches it with me. Don't get me wrong, she'll be knitting or playing a game on her phone, but she watches it half the time and asks me all sorts of questions. She then goes on and tells me how big it is in the world and some other random facts.

Anyway, can't wait to get to the episode in the title!!! Smile

1 608