04-24-2012, 08:14 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Hello. This is my first BST post, so please let me know if anything is out of line.

I've just finished restoring this brush and it came out amazingly well. I used TGN finest badger knot and set it at about 49mm. The knot opening on the handle is 22mm. This brush has a very nice hefty feel to it. The handle is solid plastic that looks like it was lathe turned (no mold marks) The original knot was Pure Badger (hence the PB in the name of the brush), so it is still true to its name. The brush is a pleasure to look at and to hold. I just found it way too dense for my liking. It leathers like crazy and does not shed. I only had two shaves with it and a few lathers to get it cleaned up after the assembly work.

I am beginning to realize that I really prefer boar brushes or somewhat less dense badgers. I am very happy with my Simpson Wee Scot and another restore I did with a pure black badger, which is not nearly as dense and much pricklier than the TGN knot on this 650PB.

I have about $40 invested in this brush not including my labor of love. So I would like to get either $60 shipped CONUS for it. Will also consider trades for Semogue boar brush(es). I would love to try Semogue 830, 1305, 610, SOC, etc. If you like this brush and like dense super-soft tipped badger brushes with good backbone, you will love owning this brush. It has a lot of character and is a top notch brush for the person who enjoys this kind of knot.

Here are some more pictures.

The bottom of the brush. Some plastic loss here.

The whole brush with some discoloration at the bottom of the handle. The rest of the brush is unaffected.

Density of the knot

Brush Weighs in at 55.7 gramms

25 1,705
 04-27-2012, 08:24 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Just wanted to add a few lather pictures. I know, merenge, but trust me this brush produces thick protective lather. I just did this for the photo op.

Loaded up with Proraso white tub

Bowl lathered that

The result

25 1,705
 04-27-2012, 10:04 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Very nice restore. Hope you find it a happy home.

I have also been bitten by the Semogue boar brushes too.
Great boar brushes.

1 3,507
 04-27-2012, 11:08 AM
User Info
Good luck with the sale!! Great restore!!

1 223