11-21-2013, 06:43 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Quick Summary: This is not a purchase sabbatical. It is more of a shift in mindset; my plan to refocus on the products I have gained in this acquisition-heavy year of 2013. I will only use what I have in my den as of year end. Anything I buy 2014 won't get used until the following year...Read on if you're still interested Smile

Greetings Gentlemen,

I know…you might be thinking “here we go again.” Yawn

In this case, the title may be a little misleading; when sabbatical is mentioned in our hobby, oftentimes it implies a commitment to refrain from making any purchases for the entire year. I contemplated this notion for quite some time actually. Should I continue to cater to my AD’s as I have been throughout this past year, or should I stop cold turkey? I certainly have enough in my den to easily last me the next 5-7 years. For me, I found the answer lies somewhere in the middle. This is supposed to be a break from using anything that is not part of my den as of the last day of 2013.

Why am I doing this? Simple…In 2014 I want to slow down and smell the roses, so to speak. I feel like I have many excellent products in my den that simply don’t get the attention that they deserve, or never got the chance to take center stage, even for just a little while. Particularly over the past few months, it seems like a new brush doesn’t even get properly broken in before another one shows up at my door, and of course my attention is diverted. The same applies to soaps…a new recruit quickly overshadows the previous troops. I am fortunate and grateful that this is the dilemma I’m facing, but I feel at this point I should take a break from the acquisition obsession, aka the “pursuit,” and really direct my focus on what I already have, over the next year.

Speaking completely for myself here, I believe sometimes we tend to get carried away with the “hunt.” It can be a little too easy sometimes to convince ourselves to get something because {I just read some reviews on it and I came to the conclusion that it’s the greatest thing since air, and my life will be completely empty, dull, and pointless without it}, or {well, I have the small and large size, of COURSE I need the medium size and I have a $0.02 credit at X retailer so let’s do this}. While these are meant to be exaggerations, I will be the first to admit that at times, for me, they’re not too far from the truth. Some may read this and think, “Giorgio, you just lack discipline!”… and others might relate and think “Darn! He read my mind!”

Either way, I’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts Biggrin

EDIT (only April): Well, it didn't work out the way I planned so far...but I did change my mindset a bit in terms of product use and overall den inventory. While it is true I have acquired many products throughout the years, I am quite clear on what I use regularly and what just sits around...so the products that don't see much use will go (amazing concept isn't it? Tongue). And I'm also narrowing down my preferences, so that helps. Finally, I think my den is now stocked and diversified enough that I really don't feel the need to buy more of the same...So far, while it didn't work out fully as I planned, I'm happy with where I've landed Biggrin

29 1,578
 11-21-2013, 06:47 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
YMMV... I'd never get the concept of sabbatical. Why? Why deprive yourself if you can afford it? If you want to enjoy something for a while, fine. Use it for a week, it gets boring after that Biggrin

88 4,233
 11-21-2013, 07:06 PM
User Info
I don't think I can do a total sabbatical, I like to have stuff arrive every so often.
I do find myself, in my mind, working towards only keeping and using what works for me.
I've had a hard time letting go, but I have recently come to the mindset of if it doesn't work for me, sell it.
But when I do that, I make room and am going to need a replacement.
The only sabbatical I think I can do is a sabbatical from hoarding!

31 1,800
 11-21-2013, 07:32 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Good luck, Giorgio ... Shy

I have no such desires to constrain my impulses; restraint and sabbatical are taboo terms and concepts to me, however I do respect your pursuits ...

102 17,662
 11-21-2013, 07:41 PM
User Info
I too have had a similar game plan running through my brain for 2014... But I'm not ready to fully commit quite yet ;-)
I would greatly prefer this route to a sabbatical... That's insanity :-)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

37 403
 11-21-2013, 08:19 PM
User Info
Not buy anything shave-related for a whole year?
Sheesh! That must be challenging. Considering I only use TWO DEs, I allow myself the luxury of buying other things! Biggrin

Good luck with your endeavour, Giorgio!

75 20,883
 11-21-2013, 08:38 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(11-21-2013, 08:19 PM)celestino Wrote: Not buy anything shave-related for a whole year?
Sheesh! That must be challenging. Considering I only use TWO DEs, I allow myself the luxury of buying other things! Biggrin

Good luck with your endeavour, Giorgio!

No no my good sir, the sabbatical is to not use anything new that isn't already in my den. The buying thing is only for easy to get items. I could bring myself to not buy something "special" for a whole year...too many good things could come up Biggrin

29 1,578
 11-21-2013, 10:07 PM
User Info
(11-21-2013, 08:38 PM)Giorgio Wrote: No no my good sir, the sabbatical is to not use anything new that isn't already in my den. The buying thing is only for easy to get items. I could bring myself to not buy something "special" for a whole year...too many good things could come up Biggrin

* Ahh! I understand, now, Giorgio! That is much better, but still challenging, I believe! Good luck. Biggrin

75 20,883
 11-22-2013, 10:56 AM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
Giorgio

You are using something we all have and that's free , reason. Well reasoned out approach to 2014 purchasing limits and AD's.

I used to think in " Know Thyself" it was meant we must read and understand our life like a book, get some knowledge out of it. But reading Epictetus he has a more practical interpretation. You know yourself to know what's right for you and what's right for others may be wrong for you , what's right for me should bring me peace of mind.

AD's don't allow peace of mind they are raging and usually our AD's are learned behavior from the forums. Just like sabbaticals are also learned, we are following others here too.

Perhaps its figuring out our own dream and not living the dreams of others , following the programming of others. Picking and choosing, deliberating more , quality over quantity may not feel like deprivation but may allow us some contentment and satisfaction from the hobby.

15 541
 11-22-2013, 04:14 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Well said Hanzo, I find your perspective very interesting and thought-provoking. I think there is a lot of truth to what you said...I never really made the AD-forum connection before. I'm still deciding if that was the case with me, or if AD's have always been there and naturally manifested themselves in my various hobbies. I love learning and experiencing new things, which probably start my AD as I wanted to experience what a silvertip felt like, then a 2 band, a boar brush, a horse hair brush, and so on. Then I wanted to experience the differences between each manufacturer, and different handles, and so on... And of course the forums helped me discover things I never even knew about (like M&F)...so I can confirm that there is at least some level of truth to that Wink

Thank you kindly for your comments.

29 1,578
 11-22-2013, 05:53 PM
User Info
(11-22-2013, 10:56 AM)Hanzo Wrote: Giorgio

You are using something we all have and that's free , reason. Well reasoned out approach to 2014 purchasing limits and AD's.

I used to think in " Know Thyself" it was meant we must read and understand our life like a book, get some knowledge out of it. But reading Epictetus he has a more practical interpretation. You know yourself to know what's right for you and what's right for others may be wrong for you , what's right for me should bring me peace of mind.

AD's don't allow peace of mind they are raging and usually our AD's are learned behavior from the forums. Just like sabbaticals are also learned, we are following others here too.

Perhaps its figuring out our own dream and not living the dreams of others , following the programming of others. Picking and choosing, deliberating more , quality over quantity may not feel like deprivation but may allow us some contentment and satisfaction from the hobby.

* Very nicely stated and this gives me an idea for a Philosophical thread/sub-section! Ohhh, wouldn't that be an interesting category. I bet we would have some interesting insights expounded, there! Biggrin

75 20,883
 11-28-2013, 07:09 AM
User Info
All I know is I've got to make a plan get rid of a whole lot of really neat shaving stuff I just don't need.

24 1,150
 11-28-2013, 07:12 AM
User Info
I plan on doing a 2014 sabbatical. It's part of my plan to exercise overall self control. Of course that means that I've been buying everything in sight right now.

- Josh -

72 1,407
 11-28-2013, 08:20 AM
  • grump
  • East Central Wisconsin
User Info
(11-21-2013, 06:43 PM)Giorgio Wrote: Quick Summary: This is not a purchase sabbatical. It is more of a shift in mindset; my plan to refocus on the products I have gained in this acquisition-heavy year of 2013. I will only use what I have in my den as of year end. Anything I buy 2014 won't get used until the following year...Read on if you're still interested Smile

This would never work with me. If I purchase something, I want to try it ASAP.

0 48
 11-29-2013, 07:28 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
@jpakstis: I feel like I've been on the same binge lately. One of the reasons why I am somewhat motivated to do this Biggrin

@grump: Buying and not trying will be the biggest challenge to face. Granted, as I mentioned in my initial post, if I get a brush I'll try it to make sure it's not defective, but I won't keep using it...Rolleyes

29 1,578
 12-02-2013, 07:19 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
I think I am putting myself on a sabattical as well. The only exception will be the Cobra 2, the HuntLee Katana, and any Simpsons Manchurian brushes I can acquire. Other than that, I plan on stocking up this month with a few things to do me until the end of next year.

15 970
 12-02-2013, 07:31 AM
  • Doc
  • Paris
User Info
For me it will be a sabbatical for soaps and creams, I've a waiting list of soaps and creams that is growing.Smile

1 205
 12-03-2013, 11:23 AM
User Info
I have a 5+ years worth of software and blades here as well, and while I will not be on a sabbatical, I do not plan on buying much at all. I am trying to get my hands on a Cobra, and the Cobra 2 as well as the HuntLee Feather blade SE will be purchased.

I will also limit myself to specific LE brushes as well. I have so many as it is now, I plan to sell half of them and I will still have 2 dozen brushes at the end. TSN LEs will be purchased as they come out.

It is so very difficult to not buy soaps, I have just purchased a few more and I really don't need them, just wanted them. My goal this year is to use up a number of my artisan soaps if I can. I may have to use my Chubby 3s more often to meet that goal. Biggrin

129 6,685
 12-03-2013, 11:27 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(12-03-2013, 11:23 AM)wingdo Wrote: I have a 5+ years worth of software and blades here as well, and while I will not be on a sabbatical, I do not plan on buying much at all. I am trying to get my hands on a Cobra, and the Cobra 2 as well as the HuntLee Feather blade SE will be purchased.

I will also limit myself to specific LE brushes as well. I have so many as it is now, I plan to sell half of them and I will still have 2 dozen brushes at the end. TSN LEs will be purchased as they come out.

It is so very difficult to not buy soaps, I have just purchased a few more and I really don't need them, just wanted them. My goal this year is to use up a number of my artisan soaps if I can. I may have to use my Chubby 3s more often to meet that goal. Biggrin

You'll get through those soaps in no time at all ... if you use a different CH3 loaded up ... for each pass ... i.e. 2-3 brushes per shave! Biggrin

102 17,662
 12-03-2013, 06:54 PM
User Info
I'm tempted to do a complete sabbatical with no exceptions. I've spent $350 in the past week on shaving stuff. Cold Turkey may be my only savior.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

9 197