11-23-2013, 02:20 AM
User Info
Hi Guys,

Wanted to get people's opinions on this brush. Have an opportunity to pick it up new for $240 (AUD) delivered.

Currently I have a PILS silvertip 23mm and a Semogue owner club boar.

I find the PILS to be an expert in handling the creams and the SOC likewise for soaps.

That said I find myself attracted to the Chubby based on it's price and is iconic status.

I would be using it on soaps mostly, as my PILS silvertip has a lovely long handle great for scuttle use.

My concerns are:

- What is people's experience with this brush and say MWF
- I have large hands, what are the ergonomics of the brush like?

1 167
 11-23-2013, 11:27 AM
User Info
Assuming you're talking about the 3-band, it's an amazing brush. I generally like dense and scrubby brushes, so I first tried the chubby 2 in 2 band and manchurian, both of which were far too dense and scrubby. The 3 band solved all density and flow through issues with its finer and softer hairs. It's now my #3 brush behind my pl10 and pj3 manchurian, but even ahead of my 2xl gel-tipped.

8 124
 11-23-2013, 12:23 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Just Do It!

The CH2 is an iconic brush ... there really is no comparable rival.

It performs wonderfully, with a wide variety of soaps IMO, with the caveat that it's not miserly in terms of consumption.

I have large hands (size 8) and will say that the CH2 is not quite as ergonomic, in terms of grip, as other similar brushes ie Rooney 2XL or Stubby 3. This is not a deal-breaker for me though.

102 17,662
 11-23-2013, 12:23 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
If your main concerns are those, I'd say no Chubby2 (in whatever type of hair) has any problems with MWF or any other hard soap, except for the fact that it does retain a lot of soap inside, due to the density of the know.

Regarding hand size, it is not a long handle, but the ergonomics are decent and, as the name suggests, it is a large chubby handle, so you shouldn't have any problems.

You may also want to consider the Chubby2 in Best instead of Super. The Best hair is great and really becomes smooth with use, and it'll be 100 bucks cheaper.

Regards.

25 4,632
 11-23-2013, 01:32 PM
User Info
The Chubby 2 Super is a fantastic brush. The one I have any way is!
I may have been fortunate with the knot I received which seems to be 29 X 50mm and it is incredibly dense with very good backbone. It is one of my favourite brushes as it is just so decadent!
Highly recommend it! Smile

75 20,883
 11-23-2013, 01:42 PM
User Info
The Chubby series is great for large hands. While mine are all 3s, the 2s still should be great for large hands or for people with finger issues.

I've only got Best and Manchurian from Simpson, but I would think based strictly on my observances from these two types that the Super would be insane.

Do be prepared for a soap eater as others have mentioned. Soap's cheap so don't let that hold you from grabbing this one. It's a good price, you should just do it. If you don't want it, would you send them my way??? Biggrin

129 6,685
 11-23-2013, 01:59 PM
User Info
Thanks guys! Angry

Biggrin I have some serious thinking to do lol!

1 167
 11-23-2013, 02:02 PM
User Info
(11-23-2013, 01:59 PM)BossShave Wrote: Thanks guys! Angry

Biggrin I have some serious thinking to do lol!

Chubbies last in BST for an hour or two. If you don't like it, you can always resell it. But at least then you have tried it and can determine if it is right for you.

129 6,685
 11-23-2013, 02:26 PM
User Info
My experience is that Super 3 band blooms quite a bit making Chubby 2 or 3 a truly huge brush. Manchurian can be a bit scritchy when paired with a dense/short lofted brush and my experience with Best is not that good regarding softness or lack thereof.

Thus my recommendation would be a Chubby 2 or 3 in 2 Band.... But I guess that is no surprise coming from me... Angel

31 1,554
 11-23-2013, 02:29 PM
User Info
(11-23-2013, 02:26 PM)German Wrote: My experience is that Super 3 band blooms quite a bit making Chubby 2 or 3 a truly huge brush. Manchurian can be a bit scritchy when paired with a dense/short lofted brush and my experience with Best is not that good regarding softness or lack thereof.

Thus my recommendation would be a Chubby 2 or 3 in 2 Band.... But I guess that is no surprise coming from me... Angel

I had never tried Simpson's best prior to the current TSN P8 brush, until then only Manchurian for me. I found it quite soft, right up there with what other vendors call silvertip. I liked it enough to buy a second Best Badger (Duke 3 via our BST). I have yet to try the super, but I can only imagine what a dream it is/

129 6,685
 11-23-2013, 09:42 PM
User Info
Doug, as I have mentioned in my previous post, the Super hair is incredible, in my opinion. The Chubby 2 that I have is an incredible brush and does not splay as much as another Chubby 2 Super I had for some reason, probably since the density of the knot. It is a large brush when using, but not overly and I am small lad, but it isn't overwhelming, in the slightest. I would highly recommend them for anyone to experience a luxurious shave! Biggrin

75 20,883
 11-23-2013, 10:41 PM
User Info
Is it the Ch2 in 2-band or 3-band ?

22 5,044
 11-23-2013, 11:09 PM
User Info
(11-23-2013, 11:27 AM)yellafella321 Wrote: Assuming you're talking about the 3-band, it's an amazing brush. I generally like dense and scrubby brushes, so I first tried the chubby 2 in 2 band and manchurian, both of which were far too dense and scrubby. The 3 band solved all density and flow through issues with its finer and softer hairs. It's now my #3 brush behind my pl10 and pj3 manchurian, but even ahead of my 2xl gel-tipped.

Don't the chubbies in super have worse flow through and are actually thicker? I was under the impression that the 2 band hairs were thicker and had better flow through/flexibility because of it? I had a chubby 2 in super for a few days and i quickly understood what people meant when they said it was "a wall of badger hair". it literally was a wall, barley any movement or flow through. in hindsight, the brush wasn't broken in yet and i regret not sticking it out longer for a better opinion.

10 829
 11-23-2013, 11:55 PM
User Info
(11-23-2013, 11:09 PM)reggiehogarth Wrote:
(11-23-2013, 11:27 AM)yellafella321 Wrote: Assuming you're talking about the 3-band, it's an amazing brush. I generally like dense and scrubby brushes, so I first tried the chubby 2 in 2 band and manchurian, both of which were far too dense and scrubby. The 3 band solved all density and flow through issues with its finer and softer hairs. It's now my #3 brush behind my pl10 and pj3 manchurian, but even ahead of my 2xl gel-tipped.

Don't the chubbies in super have worse flow through and are actually thicker? I was under the impression that the 2 band hairs were thicker and had better flow through/flexibility because of it? I had a chubby 2 in super for a few days and i quickly understood what people meant when they said it was "a wall of badger hair". it literally was a wall, barley any movement or flow through. in hindsight, the brush wasn't broken in yet and i regret not sticking it out longer for a better opinion.

Chubbies do need some break in time. I normally do not find that to be the case with most badger, but due to the hugeness of the knot a break in period is required. It sure as heck is for Manchurian. Smile

129 6,685